Got an EV6

Started by Laconian, September 24, 2022, 12:05:09 PM

giant_mtb

I do think they are generally regarded as relatively fun to drive. I'm just talkin' shit.  :thumbsup:

heelntoe

Quote from: SJ_GTI on October 18, 2022, 01:20:02 PM
Honestly if my Golf started having mechanical issues the Bolt would probably be the go-to choice to replace it right now. From what I've read they actually can be fun to drive (although probably would want better tires). Don't we have an owner or two on these forums already? They can't be that bad.
I actually did replace my Miata with a Bolt recently. I had an ageing, high-mileage Miata, so the Bolt was a decent upgrade. I've read that with good tyres and a sway bar, they are comparable to GTIs. It's certainly zipper than my Golf wagon.

I'm sure you'll get more daily use out of the Bolt, Kevin!
@heelntoe

Laconian

Simon thought his Bolt was as fun as a GTI. :huh: High center of gravity? Nope; the floor's a battery. It scoots too, going from 0-60 in 6.5 seconds. It wouldn't be more fun than the MX-5 but it would be a more fun daily driver than the Subaru, which is where I do 80% of our driving. I enjoy driving small hatches. It would be a very cheap swap to do, too - the residuals on the MX-5 are crazy high.

The thought of getting rid of a car became less palatable as we extrapolated into the future. Currently we drive as a HOV for almost all of our driving, but if my husband goes on a sabbatical or something (likely in next year or two), we will have very divergent transportation needs.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

Oh, a swaybar.. yeah, I was definitely thinking the tires would need to be replaced, but a swaybar would be a great upgrade!

giant_mtb

#lostcause

Just get the Bolt. None of us will judge you for giving up a perfectly good Miata for no reason.

Raza

Quote from: Laconian on October 18, 2022, 05:07:07 PM
Simon thought his Bolt was as fun as a GTI. :huh: High center of gravity? Nope; the floor's a battery. It scoots too, going from 0-60 in 6.5 seconds. It wouldn't be more fun than the MX-5 but it would be a more fun daily driver than the Subaru, which is where I do 80% of our driving. I enjoy driving small hatches. It would be a very cheap swap to do, too - the residuals on the MX-5 are crazy high.

The thought of getting rid of a car became less palatable as we extrapolated into the future. Currently we drive as a HOV for almost all of our driving, but if my husband goes on a sabbatical or something (likely in next year or two), we will have very divergent transportation needs.

I forgot about the batteries, you win there. Je comprends. Je veux une voiture, tu veux une voiturette de golf. J'aime conduire, tu aimes la consommation d'essence. Je suis désolé, mais c'est le destin.

(I don't really mean any of that, I'm very live and let live, you know that. I was just looking for an opportunity to practice my French.)
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

r0tor

If you want to replace a fun ice car with a fun ev car - why not just go shopping for a fun ev car?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian

Le gros problem est presque que out les voitures électriques aux États-Unis sont trop grosses et trop chers. Je veux une voiture *normale*, et pour l'instant ça seule voiture est le Chevy Bolt. Le MINI électrique a une petite batterie avec autonomie merdique, et les systems électriques du MINI deja as beaucoup problèmes...

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on October 22, 2022, 05:10:31 AM
Le gros problem est presque que out les voitures électriques aux États-Unis sont trop grosses et trop chers. Je veux une voiture *normale*, et pour l'instant ça seule voiture est le Chevy Bolt. Le MINI électrique a une petite batterie avec autonomie merdique, et les systems électriques du MINI deja as beaucoup problèmes...
Si les Américains devaient conduire sur les routes étroites d'Europe, ils comprendraient bientôt que même des voitures comme les Tesla Model Y & 3 sont beaucoup trop grosses.

"Simplifiez, puis ajoutez de la légèreté" (Colin Chapman)
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

Morris Minor

okay had to fix that in translate and I probably still got the subjunctive wrong.

MrH

There's a new Mini coming out next year I think that will be available all electric.  Mini seems like the ideal brand for EVs.  It's just taking them awhile to get there.

I'd love a Mini Clubman EV.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MrH on October 22, 2022, 09:00:35 AM
There's a new Mini coming out next year I think that will be available all electric.  Mini seems like the ideal brand for EVs.  It's just taking them awhile to get there.

They have an EV, its just an extremely half-hearted attempt with like 7 miles of range.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quote from: Laconian on October 22, 2022, 05:10:31 AM

C'est dommage.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Morris Minor

Quote from: MrH on October 22, 2022, 09:00:35 AM

I think EVs need bespoke platforms, built from the ground up for all-electric.

MrH

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 22, 2022, 03:25:37 PM
I think EVs need bespoke platforms, built from the ground up for all-electric.

Yeah, that's the ideal.  Just saying I like how mini packages things.  I think it would cool to build an EV Mini from the ground out.  It sounds like that's what's coming to some degree?  I think the next gen that's coming out in a couple of years will be both gas and full EV.  The current one is pretty sad.  115 miles of range.  Cold, all highway trips and I don't know if I could even go to work and back in one of those :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

GoCougs

Quote from: Laconian on October 18, 2022, 05:07:07 PM

He should have quit (or transferred) long, long ago!

Laconian

Quote from: GoCougs on October 22, 2022, 08:21:21 PM
He should have quit (or transferred) long, long ago!

He's had a team in the Chrome org waiting to take him and give him the 60% job of his dreams, but internal transfers have been frozen for months!

MrH

Have you done any research on how to get a Bolt?  There doesn't seem to be a cohesive method for ordering, and there still isn't any clarification on EV credit clarification from the govt :facepalm:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Laconian

I get a Supplier Discount, so I figure I can just waltz into a dealer with inventory and get MSRP-$750.

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on October 28, 2022, 07:50:40 AM
I get a Supplier Discount, so I figure I can just waltz into a dealer with inventory and get MSRP-$750.

Where are you seeing dealers with inventory?
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

heelntoe

Quote from: MrH on October 28, 2022, 08:01:26 AM
Where are you seeing dealers with inventory?

I don't know about the EV, but I keep getting messages about EUVs in stock around here.
@heelntoe

MrH

Quote from: heelntoe on October 28, 2022, 09:28:46 AM
I don't know about the EV, but I keep getting messages about EUVs in stock around here.

I just looked.  There actually are a couple around here!  I'm shocked.  Even more shocking, there's one with Super Cruise, which is what I really want to try.

I have no idea how EV credits will work at this point.  The whole bill is a mess, and they've offered no further details on what cars qualify for what.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Laconian

My guess is a lot of people are waiting for the credits to kick back in at the start of next year.

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on October 28, 2022, 09:52:22 AM
My guess is a lot of people are waiting for the credits to kick back in at the start of next year.

I thought the credits were already live?
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Laconian

Quote from: MrH on October 28, 2022, 12:08:50 PM
I thought the credits were already live?

The manufacturer specific credits were reset?

heelntoe

Quote from: MrH on October 28, 2022, 09:38:01 AM
I just looked.  There actually are a couple around here!  I'm shocked.  Even more shocking, there's one with Super Cruise, which is what I really want to try.

I have no idea how EV credits will work at this point.  The whole bill is a mess, and they've offered no further details on what cars qualify for what.
I think they kick in on Jan 1st, but given the price cut on the Bolt EV and EUV, dealers were expecting prices to go up again after the rebate kicks in, but this is pure speculation at this point. A price increase would put them in range of the upcoming Equinox EV.

On a related note, the dealership I bought from made some sort of mistake and applied GM's credit twice, which meant I walked away from the dealership with the Bolt for nearly $20k. I got about $7.5 for my Miata in a private sale, effectively making this a $13k purchase.
@heelntoe

r0tor

The new EV credit rules went into effect when the signed the bill.  So no more manufacturer caps.  The kicker is that the car needs to be made in the USA and be <$70k and in a year or two the battery pack also needs to be made in the USA.

I was looking at a Volvo XC60 PHEV which has a big enough battery pack to qualify for ev tax credits but just lost eligibility based on not being made in the US.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed