Got an EV6

Started by Laconian, September 24, 2022, 12:05:09 PM

Laconian

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 02, 2023, 01:40:44 AM
If you have any friendly Tesla neighbors (or Tesla chargers at grocery stores etc) you could use one of these: https://www.evseadapters.com/products/tesla-to-j1772-adapter/

The kind neighbor who let us borrow the L1 also told me where their hide-a-key is, so that I could let myself in and hook my car up to their L2 while they're at work. 3 hours 'til full. Now we're talking! Once I have a surplus the L1 will suffice until the L2 arrives and is installed. We were planning to have this done in advance, but we were really thrown off balance by my recent layoff.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on February 02, 2023, 11:22:38 AM
The kind neighbor who let us borrow the L1 also told me where their hide-a-key is, so that I could let myself in and hook my car up to their L2 while they're at work. 3 hours 'til full. Now we're talking! Once I have a surplus the L1 will suffice until the L2 arrives and is installed. We were planning to have this done in advance, but we were really thrown off balance by my recent layoff.
Sounds like a lovely neighbor. If you're getting an outlet installed make sure the electrician installs a decent one.
https://youtu.be/aTVm8Bt_YUw
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Laconian

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 02, 2023, 12:13:52 PM
Sounds like a lovely neighbor. If you're getting an outlet installed make sure the electrician installs a decent one.
https://youtu.be/aTVm8Bt_YUw

We're going to get wired straight to the breaker panel. Plugs can't be used if you go as high as 48A.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on January 31, 2023, 07:21:33 PM
Got it! I rode back in the Miata with earplugs and my husband wafted in the EV6 on L2 assist.

FINALLY!

I was excited to see it. Pics look great!
Will

Laconian

The latest OTA update added EXCLUSIVE new sounds from the guy responsible for the soundtrack of Parasite and Squid Game! What's next, a holographic BTS concert on the AR HUD?

:lol:

dazzleman

Quote from: Laconian on January 31, 2023, 10:04:07 PM
That was a long trip. 3.5 hours of MX-5 on the interstate, my ears are still ringing from the roadnoise.

After we got arrived I grabbed the keys and romped around for 30 miles. Man this car is AWESOME! The test drives didn't give me a chance to appreciate just how well this car handles, but sheesh, it really knows how to impress if you throw it into some corners!

Congratulations!  It looks sweet
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

CaminoRacer

It looked like our local Kia dealership has multiple EV6s in stock on the lot right now. I think they're all Wind models though, no GTs
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

The car has way too many options, knobs, and toggles.

One interesting discovery is the auto regeneration mode. The car will dynamically adjust the level of regeneration based on traffic ahead, the slope you're on, the speed versus the current limit, and the navigation route (if set). If there is no need to decelerate, the front motor is disengaged to reduce friction. It's well implemented. The car is noticeably more efficient (+15%) yet fairly invisible at the same time.

giant_mtb

Wait those things can go invisible??

Laconian

Whoops, edit fail. I meant the mode is invisible :lol:

Laconian

The car's still amazing. I can't get over how fast and refined it is. The stress of dealing with traffic are so much lower with the extremely quiet ride. It's not just the fact that there's no engine noise, it's also because Kia just did a really good job of sound insulation overall. I've never owned a Lexus or Mercedes so this is really my first taste of "luxury" ride quality. The TSX doesn't count; it was still a Honda at heart. :lol:

My only gripe is that the instrument cluster is mounted too low for my seating position. I have to lower my head in order to see it through the steering wheel. The HUD makes up for it somewhat, but conveniences such as the blindspot cameras aren't very useful because I can't see them very easily.

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on February 11, 2023, 12:49:32 PM
The car's still amazing. I can't get over how fast and refined it is. The stress of dealing with traffic are so much lower with the extremely quiet ride. It's not just the fact that there's no engine noise, it's also because Kia just did a really good job of sound insulation overall. I've never owned a Lexus or Mercedes so this is really my first taste of "luxury" ride quality. The TSX doesn't count; it was still a Honda at heart. :lol:

My only gripe is that the instrument cluster is mounted too low for my seating position. I have to lower my head in order to see it through the steering wheel. The HUD makes up for it somewhat, but conveniences such as the blindspot cameras aren't very useful because I can't see them very easily.
I've heard this from others, i.e. that EVs are so much more relaxing to drive - less exhausting. Noise is tiring: without being aware of it we burn a lot of brain CPU cycles filtering it out.
Manufacturers have to work extra hard with EVs because there's no noise maker under the hood anymore masking NVH shortcomings. The crutch has been kicked away.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 11, 2023, 02:32:12 PM
I've heard this from others, i.e. that EVs are so much more relaxing to drive - less exhausting. Noise is tiring: without being aware of it we burn a lot of brain CPU cycles filtering it out.
Manufacturers have to work extra hard with EVs because there's no noise maker under the hood anymore masking NVH shortcomings. The crutch has been kicked away.

It sounds like most EVs have done well with NVH except Tesla. They're the only cars I hear complaints about

Morris Minor

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 11, 2023, 08:33:29 PM
It sounds like most EVs have done well with NVH except Tesla. They're the only cars I hear complaints about
They now have laminated acoustic glass, & are allegedly better than they were. But my guess is the glass roofs are an NVH handicap - resonating & reflecting rather than damping & insulating.

Laconian

I read that the suspension of the MY and M3 is tuned very stiffly.

Laconian

Installed a dashcam in the EV6. The car has a billion cameras, and in some countries you can use them as recording cameras, but not in the USA for some reason! The install was actually super tidy because I used this Dongar adapter that lets me splice 5V from the rear view camera power hookup. https://dongar.tech/collections/adapters . The camera is a Viofo V119 PRO 4k. It cost around $120, is roughly as compact as a toll bridge transponder, and has an extremely basic feature set. That's great. I don't want yet another LCD hanging out in my field of vision.

I really do wish I could use the EV6's cameras instead though, grr... :rage:

Also, Lane Keep Assist needs to warn the driver when it bails. The only indication of that happening is that a green icon turns white... that, and the car starts continuing straight into the oncoming lane around a bend. I respect that it is very conservative at how much steering it's willing to do, but it seems dangerous that the driver is not better informed about the transition.

CaminoRacer

Nice. I need to get a new dashcam, the Miata's cheap $45 one seems to be on the fritz. It's too bad it doesn't have a dimming mirror for that type of dongle, that's a slick set up.

Laconian

Here's what it looks like.

Some more bonus points for basic design:
The camera needs to function well without an app. I don't want the camera to go obsolete when the manufacturer goes bankrupt or otherwise just stops paying attention to app development. You can plug the camera into your phone or just eject the SD card and read it that way.

The camera should only run on the car power and NOT have a lithium ion battery. Another thing that can die an early death and potentially create a fire hazard for the car. It has a built in supercapacitor which is used to gracefully flush the buffers on power loss.

giant_mtb

Nice.  Having a dashcam is easy peace of mind.

I had one that had WiFi and an app...the app was garbage and finicky.  The camera lasted about 6 months.  So I spent the same amount of money for one that didn't have an app or Wifi or any of that stuff.  Much, much better.

I'm sure the apps for some of the more expensive, name-brand dashcams (Garmin, etc.) are probably far better, but for the cheaper $100-150 random cameras...eh, not worth it.

Laconian

The apps might be better for now, but nobody's going to be grinding out updates for a camera that's branded EOL.

Morris Minor

The warning for lane keep assist losing the plot is an interesting one. You want to alert the driver, but not be so loud obnoxious & frequent that people just shut off the alarm or never use the feature in the first place. A gentle buzz of the steering wheel in there somewhere maybe?

afty

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 20, 2023, 12:44:22 PM
The warning for lane keep assist losing the plot is an interesting one. You want to alert the driver, but not be so loud obnoxious & frequent that people just shut off the alarm or never use the feature in the first place. A gentle buzz of the steering wheel in there somewhere maybe?
When the Tesla loses the lane markers, the screen flashes red, there's a loud alert, and it tells you to take control immediately.  That feels like the right level of alert to me, considering the alternative is for the car to start drifting out of its lane.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 20, 2023, 12:44:22 PM

Taco has lane departure assist...turned it off immediately.  Rumble strips are enough for me.  Or I just...y'know...pay attention.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 20, 2023, 01:03:54 PM
Taco has lane departure assist...turned it off immediately.  Rumble strips are enough for me.  Or I just...y'know...pay attention.

I could see it being useful on a long road trip, in case you start to drift. But otherwise I've never liked it on the rental cars I've driven with it (Kia and Toyota). Radar cruise control is enough automation for me.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on February 20, 2023, 11:30:01 AM
The camera should only run on the car power and NOT have a lithium ion battery. Another thing that can die an early death and potentially create a fire hazard for the car. It has a built in supercapacitor which is used to gracefully flush the buffers on power loss.

I think the capacitor is what's failing on mine. :(

Laconian

Noooooooooo! Capacitor, you were the chosen one!

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 20, 2023, 01:23:23 PM
I could see it being useful on a long road trip, in case you start to drift. But otherwise I've never liked it on the rental cars I've driven with it (Kia and Toyota). Radar cruise control is enough automation for me.

Yeah, I suppose it could be handy on a really long drive.

And, yes.  I absolutely love radar cruise control. 

Laconian

Supervised lane keeping definitely reduces fatigue on long trips, I've noticed that.

MrH

I think I'm going to get a Garmin dash cam mini 2.  No screen, very simple.  It has an app, but it all works via microSD too, so it should be fine.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

Quote from: MrH on February 20, 2023, 01:47:20 PM
I think I'm going to get a Garmin dash cam mini 2.  No screen, very simple.  It has an app, but it all works via microSD too, so it should be fine.

Been considering that one as well.  I have my old one from the old Taco and it works just fine...been too lazy to install it, so my brain is like "just buy a new one, then you'll be excited about installing it and actually do it." lol