Best insurance for seasonal cars?

Started by Laconian, December 11, 2022, 01:20:30 PM

Laconian

What's the best/most cost effective way to insure a summer car that barely gets touched during the winter months? GPS trackers are not allowed.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

You uhhhh call your agent and say "hey, take it off, I'm parking it, I'll call you in the spring."

veeman

Quote from: Laconian on December 11, 2022, 01:20:30 PM
What's the best/most cost effective way to insure a summer car that barely gets touched during the winter months? GPS trackers are not allowed.

When you say "barely gets touched" during the winter I would be hesitant to cancel my auto insurance during the winter months unless you literally disconnect the battery in the winter. 

Especially if you're down to just two cars, you never know when you'll need it in a pinch.  Also, I'm not sure you can cancel your auto insurance for a legally registered car. Might depend on the state.

dazzleman

If a car is not insured, even for a day, the legal requirement is to surrender the license plates.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Soup DeVille

Quote from: dazzleman on December 12, 2022, 07:23:40 AM
If a car is not insured, even for a day, the legal requirement is to surrender the license plates.

interesting. I have never done that.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

RomanChariot

My in-laws regularly put their insurance on hold for a vehicle that sees only occasional use. They just call their agent and tell him to put it on hold or to activate it as needed. As far as I know they haven't had any issues with it.

Rich

whenever i needed to store my car, insurance never gave an issue about having the plates turned in.  The only entity that cares if your car is uninsured with plates on it is the DMV/government.  If the car is not in a towable area/not driven then there won't be an issue.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Rich

Quote from: veeman on December 12, 2022, 06:50:56 AM
you never know when you'll need it in a pinch. 

I think that's what he's looking for, as in, open an insurance app on the phone when getting into the car, press an "on the road" button and the car will be insured until the "off the road" button is pressed.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

MrH

Quote from: dazzleman on December 12, 2022, 07:23:40 AM

I think that's very much a state to state thing.  I don't think there's anything in Ohio that would make me have to do that.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

dazzleman

Quote from: MrH on December 13, 2022, 11:54:36 AM
I think that's very much a state to state thing.  I don't think there's anything in Ohio that would make me have to do that.

You're probably right.

Having a law is one thing and enforcing it is another.  Here, there are many people who pay for their insurance month by month, and they are issued plates based on them having insurance at the time the car is registered.  Then they fall behind on payments and the insurance is dropped, but the state does little to nothing to force surrender of the plates.  This happened with my nephew.  His insurance lapsed and he was hit by a car driven by a woman who also had no insurance.  There was no legal penalty for either one of them, even though driving without insurance is supposed to be a serious offense.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

CaminoRacer

If you had 3 vehicles for 2 drivers, you could insure it with Hagerty. But it has to be an "extra" vehicle, otherwise they don't trust you that it's not a commuter.

Progressive does 6 month renewals, so you could insure it for 6 months of the year and just not renew it during the winter.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV