Gravity batteries in abandoned mines

Started by Laconian, January 19, 2023, 01:13:55 PM

Laconian

https://www.techspot.com/news/97306-gravity-batteries-abandoned-mines-could-power-whole-planet.html

Tl;dr: lifting and lowering big weights in abandoned mineshafts has huge energy storage potential. Some of these shafts are incredibly deep!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

Yeeeep. The school I last went to has been looking into this as well (it was originally founded as the Michigan Mining School during the Keweenaw copper boom, and naturally there are hundreds of abandoned shafts all over up there). The longest continuous shaft up there is over 9,000 feet.

They did an exploratory study on a mine complex in my town, too. This mine's main office/dry/etc. building was converted to the high school after the mine closed and the old HS across town was razed.

https://www.mtu.edu/unscripted/2022/05/modeling-the-mather-b-helps-map-out-future-for-old-mines-and-clean-energy-storage.html

CaminoRacer

It definitely makes sense to take advantage of existing infrastructure. I wonder how many usable mine shafts are close enough to the barren deserts out west, where solar farms can thrive?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Morris Minor

Why not use them in active mines too? You leverage the poor dietary habits of the fattest miners by putting them on shifts timed to coincide with maximum grid usage.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

giant_mtb

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 19, 2023, 03:27:17 PM
Why not use them in active mines too? You leverage the poor dietary habits of the fattest miners by putting them on shifts timed to coincide with maximum grid usage.

Not possible. Below a certain level (depending on where you are, I guess) the shafts are constantly flooding. Massive, massive steam-powered pumps were used back in the day to keep the water out of the shafts. Same goes for modern open-pit mines...turn those pumps off and that pit very quickly becomes a small lake.  Can't do this in an active mine.

Edit:
https://youtu.be/sDLpb6r80kA

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 19, 2023, 03:25:12 PM
It definitely makes sense to take advantage of existing infrastructure. I wonder how many usable mine shafts are close enough to the barren deserts out west, where solar farms can thrive?

Probably quite a few. Was lots of mining out that way. I'm sure not many were deep enough to be usable for energy storage, but I'm sure there are quite a few.

MrH

I like that in-depth mining knowledge is just a part of life in the YOU PEE.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

Quote from: MrH on January 20, 2023, 07:25:20 AM
I like that in-depth mining knowledge is just a part of life in the YOU PEE.

:lol: Logging and mining...they're what made You Pee towns exist.

My town is where iron ore was "first" discovered by a white man in da You Pee in 1844. Just comes with the territory. I love exploring old mine stuff, lots to see.

mindat.org is a great reference if anybody is looking for an abandoned mine/shaft near them.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 19, 2023, 03:52:06 PM
Not possible. Below a certain level (depending on where you are, I guess) the shafts are constantly flooding. Massive, massive steam-powered pumps were used back in the day to keep the water out of the shafts. Same goes for modern open-pit mines...turn those pumps off and that pit very quickly becomes a small lake.  Can't do this in an active mine.

Edit:
https://youtu.be/sDLpb6r80kA

Yep.

Pumping water out of mines is where the convention of using horsepower as a unit came from. Watts was selling steam pumping engines, and the most important economic factor was "how many horses would this replace?"

Also, him being from Cornwall and sending Cornish engineers out to install and run the engines is why there's still a large Cornish influence in the UP today.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Yezzir! The largest steam-powered pump ever built in the US was built here by the Corns. And is also why Cornish pasties are still seen as some sort of delicacy up here.

https://menomineemuseum.com/cornish-pump-museum

giant_mtb

Talked to a friend of mine that used to drive truck in this mine. He said "always wet, pumps were always running, when I quit there we were at about 3,000' under, was a 4 mile drive to get in or out."

https://youtu.be/VITSTMQxwdQ

[/hack]

GoCougs

Hmmm. At first glance seems interesting, particularly there are no batteries, but putting some numbers to it:

A 1,000,000 kg weight (a 15' cube of lead) moving at 1 m/s generates 10 mW of power, or about as much as the largest wind turbine. Say that the shaft is 1000 m deep - that's 16.7 minutes of power. To reset the system (raise the weight) say takes 1% of the power (13,400 hp) which at 0.10 m/sec = 167 minutes, so for continuous power output will require 10 systems. The whole system will be something like 70% efficient. So, to get a continues 10 mW of output, you'd need 7 mW reserve/system * 10 systems systems = 14 systems, or to provide the power reserve for a good size dam on the Columbia (Rocky Reach generates 1300 mW) you'd need 1300 mW/7 mw * 10 systems = 1,857 systems.

So, I think, like wind/solar/wave, at first blush it seems like a great idea, but on any sort of scale, it becomes unrealistic, esp. the fossil fuels to dig the shafts and mine/refine/process the steel and copper, let alone the shear cost and socio-political turmoil of wrenching those elements out Africa and South America.

Morris Minor

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 19, 2023, 03:52:06 PM
My sis used to be on the executive team for a big mining corporation. Part of her compulsory orientation training was flying her to South Africa and taking her into one of their deep level mines - miles down then more miles to the working faces. If you fell off the duckboards down there you were literally in hot water. Some kind of insane AC refrigeration system made it bearable. The idea was that people sitting in the HQ offices, up high in the company, should never forget the worker-bees at the sharp end - toiling away in steam oven conditions.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

giant_mtb

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 20, 2023, 11:43:54 AM
My sis used to be on the executive team for a big mining corporation. Part of her compulsory orientation training was flying her to South Africa and taking her into one of their deep level mines - miles down then more miles to the working faces. If you fell off the duckboards down there you were literally in hot water. Some kind of insane AC refrigeration system made it bearable. The idea was that people sitting in the HQ offices, up high in the company, should never forget the worker-bees at the sharp end - toiling away in steam oven conditions.

That's so cool. And also fair. Despite mining being very modern and bearable, it's still hard fuckin' work down there in the depths of it. There's a reason those people get paid well and also hate their jobs.

SVT_Power

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 20, 2023, 07:54:54 AM
Yep.

Pumping water out of mines is where the convention of using horsepower as a unit came from. Watts was selling steam pumping engines, and the most important economic factor was "how many horses would this replace?"

Also, him being from Cornwall and sending Cornish engineers out to install and run the engines is why there's still a large Cornish influence in the UP today.

Professor Soup strikes again.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 20, 2023, 07:54:54 AM
Yep.

Cornwall?  Scotts would disagree.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

AutobahnSHO

In HS (1992) I visited a TRONA mine near Green River, WY. Deeper down than the Empire state building is tall. They ring the elevator bells differently for equipment than people (more gradual acceleration/deceleration) and the elevator is big enough for vehicles/ big carts of product.

They used hydrogen-powered bonafide Jeeps (no roofs, windshield, doors) because of emissions. They excavate in a weird grid pattern then also attach anchors inside the pattern to make sure the tunnels don't collapse.

Biggest deposit of trona in the world, used for all sorts of manufacturing.

Above ground you'd never know it wasn't anything but Wyoming desert.
Will