What do you think about paint protection film (PPF)?

Started by Laconian, February 05, 2023, 12:03:58 PM

Laconian

Some friends are encouraging me to get PPF for the new car because the paint job is so nice.

I got PPF for my Miata and skipped on the Subaru. After eight years both cars looked about the same in the front. Not sure if it was worth the money. What do you guys think?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Morris Minor

I'll defer to experts but I don't think you need if you keep the car garaged, & give the paintwork some love now & then.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

giant_mtb

Not worth it unless you're planning on tailgating gravel trucks all the time.  The finish isn't as nice as paint and it scratches differently, so you just end up with a noticeable difference in finish.

GoCougs

Blue is a fantastic car color but it can indeed show scratches, dings, etc. well. FWIW, I had 8-9 years and 150-185k miles on my previous 3 cars with a decent amount of mountain pass and gravel road driving - paint looked good/great on each at the time of sale. Some road rash and paint swirl. I thought about PPF on the G and SQ5, but passed as turns out it's expensive ($1,000+) and will have to be replaced if you intend to own the vehicle for 5+ years. I don't do anything grand to keep paint looking good - simply weekly washing (usually touchless drive-thru car wash) and carport parking at home.

AutobahnSHO

If it was really worth the money, OEMs would put it on at the factory (or at least be an option).
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 05, 2023, 02:08:38 PM
If it was really worth the money, OEMs would put it on at the factory (or at least be an option).

Lots of vehicles come with PPF from the factory in certain high-wear/high-exposure areas.

Laconian

Yeah, I'm looking at $2000-$2200 just to wrap the front. That's a lot of touchless car washing.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on February 05, 2023, 02:19:33 PM
Yeah, I'm looking at $2000-$2200 just to wrap the front. That's a lot of touchless car washing.

And then you'd have a giant line cutting across the entire hood.  :nono:

CaminoRacer

I've never thought it was worth the high cost. Even on my rock-chip-prone red ND
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 05, 2023, 02:28:10 PM
And then you'd have a giant line cutting across the entire hood.  :nono:

Nope, full hood coverage.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on February 05, 2023, 03:08:31 PM
Nope, full hood coverage.

Ahhh gotcha. I tossed the idea around when I bought the new Taco...help save it from scratches in the woods. But not for the price to wrap a whole truck. I own a buffer and know how to use it. haha

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 05, 2023, 03:25:17 PM
But not for the price to wrap a whole truck.

Exactly. I'd rather just touch up my paint, re-spray, or get the car wrapped after 8-10 years than bother with paying for PPF.

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 05, 2023, 03:31:45 PM
Exactly. I'd rather just touch up my paint, re-spray, or get the car wrapped after 8-10 years than bother with paying for PPF.

Friend of mine works at a sign shop and they also do wraps...she said material alone would be around $2500-3000 for my truck. Fuuuuuck that.

Laconian

Yeah, it's really expensive! XPEL is warrantied for 10 years, but still..

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

r0tor

I know 2 people who did it, had it get messed up after a couple years of driving, and then it completely ruined the car paint when being removed to replace.

Between that and the ceramic crap it all seems like internet fanbois at work.  I have a 20 year old Mazda that still looks great with cheap wax and proper care.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Morris Minor

My unscientific view is that the hood paintwork always takes the biggest beating: right in the line of fire for incoming debris & gunk from the front, topped with pollutants from above, & finally all cooked off from beneath by hot engines.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

veeman

I've noticed that if you have scratched up wheels, especially steelies, mild paint scratches actually make the car look better. 

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: veeman on February 06, 2023, 08:54:42 AM
I've noticed that if you have scratched up wheels, especially steelies, mild paint scratches actually make the car look better. 

:rockon:
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: veeman on February 06, 2023, 08:54:42 AM

patina