BOLT

Started by MrH, March 25, 2023, 03:11:41 PM

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 26, 2023, 12:11:35 PM
Depending on the state, you may need 8000 hours under a certified electrician before you can take the test.

Takes one hour of YouTube and common sense to install a 240V breaker. Another $40 for conduit, wire, and an outlet.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 26, 2023, 12:43:12 PM
Takes one hour of YouTube and common sense to install a 240V breaker. Another $40 for conduit, wire, and an outlet.

Don't forget the fish tape and "sparky" (screw driver wrapped in generic black tape)
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 26, 2023, 12:55:03 PM
Don't forget the fish tape and "sparky" (screw driver wrapped in generic black tape)

No need for fish tape if your panel's in the garage. Unless it's recessed in the wall, I guess...complicates it slightly. Especially if drywall is also terrifying for some reason.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 26, 2023, 01:04:34 PM
No need for fish tape if your panel's in the garage. Unless it's recessed in the wall, I guess...complicates it slightly. Especially if drywall is also terrifying for some reason.

Sounds like you'll have to tear it down to the studs :lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 26, 2023, 12:14:38 PM
Well, you reminded me why I never got around to it.

Your state may vary
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MrH

First commute impressions:

- The seats are very narrow.  The car is very narrow.  Everything is narrow.  I have tiny hips and butt, but for wider people, I imagine this isn't very comfortable.  Probably the only reason there was one in stock in the midwest :lol:
- Seats are firm and supportive.  Very comfortable for my old man back.  Almost no side bolsters.  Perfect for sitting on the highway.  It's the opposite of the Outback, which seems to be designed like a broken down gamer chair from Amazon.
- I definitely need a level 2 charger ASAP.  I can average 3.5 miles/kWh on the commute.  It's going to be 1/3 of the battery every day.  Level 1 can't keep up.
- The interior is pleasant.  Lower portions are all very cheap, durable hard plastics, but who cares.  This light interior color is a bit of an issue though.  The carpets and floor mats are light gray.  Ordered some black Tuxmats to go in.  This thing will look dingy very fast with the stock floormats.
- Super cruise is the TRUTH.  I keep holding the wheel when it's on out of habit when I don't have to.  It's basically the best level 2 ADAS out there.  Super smooth, really good at maintaining proper distances, works well even in rain.  Incredible tech.  The outback's camera only system felt like it was dive bombing people constantly.  It wouldn't react to the driver in front starting to get on their brakes, and instead would run up close than stab the brakes hard.  This system drives smoother than most people.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SJ_GTI

Congrats. I am not ready to take the dive yet (my current car probably has a few more good years left) but if I was I feel like the Bolt is almost certainly the one I'd get. Seems like it is a really good car.

MrH

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 27, 2023, 08:13:26 AM
Congrats. I am not ready to take the dive yet (my current car probably has a few more good years left) but if I was I feel like the Bolt is almost certainly the one I'd get. Seems like it is a really good car.

Squeaking in and getting the full $7500 tax credit, it's the best deal out there IMO.  $31k for an EV with 200+ miles of range and every piece of tech you could want.... I don't think we'll see something like it this cheap again.  I know VW announced something similar with the ID.2 All (what a terrible name), but I doubt we'll get it in the US ever.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MrH on March 27, 2023, 08:22:29 AM
Squeaking in and getting the full $7500 tax credit, it's the best deal out there IMO.  $31k for an EV with 200+ miles of range and every piece of tech you could want.... I don't think we'll see something like it this cheap again.  I know VW announced something similar with the ID.2 All (what a terrible name), but I doubt we'll get it in the US ever.

VW said the ID2 is Europe only (definitely not intended for NA).

If I qualified for the tax credit I almost certainly would have done exactly what you did...call around and just get a Bolt ASAP. Even without the tax credit it is still pretty compelling at MSRP.

MrH

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 27, 2023, 08:27:29 AM
VW said the ID2 is Europe only (definitely not intended for NA).

If I qualified for the tax credit I almost certainly would have done exactly what you did...call around and just get a Bolt ASAP. Even without the tax credit it is still pretty compelling at MSRP.

You need to get married to bring that qualification threshold to $300k!
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

veeman

Quote from: MrH on March 27, 2023, 08:06:01 AM
First commute impressions:

- Super cruise is the TRUTH.  I keep holding the wheel when it's on out of habit when I don't have to.  It's basically the best level 2 ADAS out there.  Super smooth, really good at maintaining proper distances, works well even in rain.  Incredible tech.  The outback's camera only system felt like it was dive bombing people constantly.  It wouldn't react to the driver in front starting to get on their brakes, and instead would run up close than stab the brakes hard.  This system drives smoother than most people.

I'm surprised GM has the best or one of the best advanced driver assist systems.  Better than the Germans and Japanese?  It's great they do, and I know their engineers are very capable. 

Laconian

I believe it's a system they source from a standalone company called Cruise.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MrH

My mind is blown.  Makes Subaru's Eyesight look like a joke. 90% of my commute can be hands free now.

When I bought the car, the dealership insisted on adding some BS "protection package".  I just assumed it was crappy wax they put on already.  They refused to remove it, so instead just got the extra money on the trade-in during negotiation.  Turns out it's a full ceramic coating they do after you buy the car.  The problem: they're over an hour away.

So they're sending a guy down tomorrow to pick up the car, drive it all the way back up there, ceramic coat, and drive it back to my house, all in the same day.  I need to work from home tomorrow, but that's pretty crazy from a customer service standpoint.

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Rich

Sounds like Mike is a GM guy now.

Next years trade in will be the BRZ for a corvette and new balances.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Rich on March 28, 2023, 08:57:04 AM
Sounds like Mike is a GM guy now.

Next years trade in will be the BRZ for a corvette and new balances.

:lol:

MrH

I'm getting this tattooed on me this weekend.

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on March 27, 2023, 07:40:23 PM
I believe it's a system they source from a standalone company called Cruise.
Cruise Automation is a GM subsidiary, GM holds 80% of the stock. Honda, Microsoft & Walmart are among the other shareholders.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MrH on March 28, 2023, 01:06:45 PM
I'm getting this tattooed on me this weekend.

I don't get it.

MrH

I tiptoed onto the Bolt forums to see if there's anything I should learn.

There's a guy mad that his car didn't include a PREMIER and Launch Edition badge on his car.  So he added them via aftermarket :wtf:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

MrH

Level 1 charging is brutal. I add about 4 miles/hr plugged into a 120 volt outlet at 12 amps. Once the level 2 outlet gets added, I should be able to get 28 miles/hr. I have to commute in the BRZ quite a bit. Level 1 can't keep up.

Finally got the dealer to finish the registration and Chevy sent the link. Hopefully I can get it done in the next week or two.

I'm going to Columbus friday night for a concert. Should be able to get up there and back on a single full charge. Probably have to drive the brz to work Wednesday and or Thursday to make sure I'm topped off.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Laconian

Yeah, L1 is glacial.

Eye of the Tiger

My commute is two miles. I could use a Bolt... or a Leaf :lol:

Laconian

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 02, 2023, 03:56:40 PM
My commute is two miles. I could use a Bolt... or a Leaf :lol:

Or a bike..

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on April 02, 2023, 04:12:04 PM
Or a bike..

Or a 5000 pound monster truck with a 381 HP V8.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on April 02, 2023, 03:43:22 PM
Level 1 charging is brutal. I add about 4 miles/hr plugged into a 120 volt outlet at 12 amps. Once the level 2 outlet gets added, I should be able to get 28 miles/hr. I have to commute in the BRZ quite a bit. Level 1 can't keep up.

Finally got the dealer to finish the registration and Chevy sent the link. Hopefully I can get it done in the next week or two.

I'm going to Columbus friday night for a concert. Should be able to get up there and back on a single full charge. Probably have to drive the brz to work Wednesday and or Thursday to make sure I'm topped off.

How long is your commute? My wife drives our Bolt 42 miles round trip and level 1 keeps up, although barely. Weekends help to catch up a bit.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

That's so funny. But I wonder if L1 charging is better long-term for the batteries?
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 02, 2023, 07:29:22 PM
But I wonder if L1 charging is better long-term for the batteries?

I don't think so, at least not noticeably. L2 is more efficient so it's probably the optimal choice for 99% of people.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

The inverter is going to convert the AC into the batteries' native DC voltage.

48A L2 charging is just over 13A of current into the batteries. 350kW DCFC? That's 437A.  :mask:

L2 must be a nice cup of tea for the batteries. DCFC on the other hand is meth.

Morris Minor

If we'd listened to Thomas Edison we could have had DC in all its glorious purity delivered straight to our homes and our cars. Instead we have to mess around with all this confounded modern AC nonsense. I don't want my DC adulterated by these wretched inverter gadgets.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

MrH

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 02, 2023, 06:37:01 PM
How long is your commute? My wife drives our Bolt 42 miles round trip and level 1 keeps up, although barely. Weekends help to catch up a bit.

66 miles round trip.  I get <50 miles of range a day from the level 1.  If we go anywhere on the weekends, or even a short trip to Costco yesterday costs me range and precious charge time.

GM has a free 240 volt install with the purchase of a Bolt.  Submitted the form this weekend, electrician just reached out, and they have me down for an install on Friday. :rockon:

I considered buying a level 2 charger to hardwire, but I don't really know the benefit?  The car included a charger you can plug into 120 or 240 volt.  It won't be a full 50 amps, but should be plenty.  I guess people like to keep the included one in the car or something?  Seems like a waste of $700.  I can just unplug and take the included one if I foresee any situation where I might need to plugin on the go, but I can't think of when I would ever do that?
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited