2o6 Flip Car thread!

Started by 2o6, September 11, 2012, 10:11:57 AM

2o6

FoMoJo

I enjoy reading your articles and always finish them...which says a lot.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

"I've got my work cut out for me."

Yup! Lol. Although I think cleaning the interior will be harder work than most of the mechanical stuff. Your engine guy seems pretty good,
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

2o6

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 02, 2021, 03:28:59 PM
"I've got my work cut out for me."

Yup! Lol. Although I think cleaning the interior will be harder work than most of the mechanical stuff. Your engine guy seems pretty good,

Spoiler alert: I'm already over budget by a lot.  :banghead:

MrH

I still think those look pretty good. They've aged well.

What's pushing you over budget so much so far ?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

Quote from: MrH on February 02, 2021, 05:04:20 PM
I still think those look pretty good. They've aged well.

What's pushing you over budget so much so far ?

It'll be content coming soon on Car Bibles, but basically, this car needed a lot more work than I thought. Still, it's pretty much done.

Also, I bought this little thing for not too much.

CaminoRacer

Ah, a dolled-up London Cab

AutobahnSHO

In laws had a Fiat like that, yellow. Not terrible.
Will

CALL_911

That thing is the biggest piece of shit I have driven, in recent memory.

But it would be a decent Ubermobile- would u consider keeping it?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

2o6

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 20, 2021, 11:34:01 AM
That thing is the biggest piece of shit I have driven, in recent memory.

But it would be a decent Ubermobile- would u consider keeping it?

I don't uber anymore

2o6

I'm whoring out my articles, but here's the first of a few updates on the Tiburon. The tib is done, but here's how i've started to get there.

https://www.carbibles.com/heres-what-it-took-to-get-my-600-hyundai-running-and-driving/

2o6

I guess I'm a fiat guy now? I bought this Abarth yesterday with a questionable engine for $1500.

SJ_GTI

FoMoJo

That would be a fun one to keep for awhile, if you can make it reliable.

Why does the shift lever shaft look like wood, or is it rust?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Payman

Yeah how is that shifter rusty; is it a flood car?

Gotta-Qik-C7

LOL! It has a trailer hitch.......
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

MrH

This is your best pickup to date.  :clap:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

Quote from: Rockraven on March 11, 2021, 04:17:14 AM
Yeah how is that shifter rusty; is it a flood car?

No, and I have no clue. I'm not super concerned about it, I've def seen surface rust on plenty of shifter rods in my lifetime. Could be as simple as a window left down in the rain.

Quote from: MrH on March 12, 2021, 08:00:20 AM
This is your best pickup to date.  :clap:

:ohyeah: :ohyeah: :ohyeah:

But yes, the deets:

2013 500 Abarth 5MT, 125K, $1500. It runs, but the guy says it has a "blown engine". He took it to firestone where they said there's oil in Cyl 4. The car is misfiring at revs above like 2500 RPM, but idk it was good enough for me to limp it across town to my mechanic. I have a 500L I need to finish before I try and tear into this 500 Abarth.

2o6

If you've ever wondered how I get a baseline to figure out how much engines are and what I'm in for, read about it here.

https://www.carbibles.com/how-to-buy-a-used-engine-without-getting-ripped-off/

veeman

Very informative and entertaining!

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 2o6 on March 16, 2021, 01:54:26 PM
If you've ever wondered how I get a baseline to figure out how much engines are and what I'm in for, read about it here.

https://www.carbibles.com/how-to-buy-a-used-engine-without-getting-ripped-off/

After reading this I finally got around to googling where the nearest pick n pull is. I had a good one in Kentucky that I went to all the time, but never in Utah. I could use some small pieces for the Mazda6 that are hard to find online.

Btw, at the end of the article there's 1 small editing error: "A simple 22mm socket plus a long socket wrench would have told me in 30 seconds if the engine was worth saving. "

RomanChariot

Unfortunately, my favorite pick n pull lot closed down several years ago.

2o6

Hey guys, here's some updates about my 500L and 500 Abarth.

"I Really Traversed a Snowstorm to Buy an Ugly Broken Fiat 500L"

https://www.carbibles.com/i-really-traversed-a-snowstorm-to-buy-an-ugly-broken-fiat-500l/

I Bought a Fiat 500 Abarth for About the Price of a Stimulus Check

https://www.carbibles.com/i-bought-a-fiat-500-abarth-for-about-the-price-of-a-stimulus-check/

Enjoy!

FoMoJo

Nice story.  The Abarth face kind of looks like the face of a French Bulldog.  Ugly, but in a cute way.

Laconian

The Abarth is the most exciting flip you've done I think. High risk, high reward, more drama.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on April 07, 2021, 12:07:03 PM
The Abarth is the most exciting flip you've done I think. High risk, high reward, more drama.

I'm prolly going to keep it and dump the Sonic.

MrH

Quote"Hm, it's probably an Easy, not a Pop," I said to nobody. "Definitely not a Lounge or Trekking." Jeez, Fiats have goofy-ass trim names.

:lol:

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

2o6

Some updates:

Abarth Update 1 - "Fixing My $1,500 Fiat 500 Abarth Has Actually Been Joyfully Easy So Far"

https://www.carbibles.com/fixing-my-1500-fiat-500-abarth-has-actually-been-joyfully-easy-so-far/?utm_source=spotim&utm_medium=spotim_recirculation

"......I showed the Abarth no mercy with redline shifts and 100 percent throttle. It rewarded me... by turning its check engine light off. The idle smoothed out. The misfire at lower RPMs had mostly disappeared, and it was completely gone from the upper rev range."

Fiat 500L Conclusion - "This Ugly Fiat 500L Made Me More Than $2,000" https://www.carbibles.com/this-ugly-fiat-500l-made-me-more-than-2000/

"....I'm a car flipper, I do this to make a bit of change on the side, and have fun doing it. In mid Febuary, I spent $1,900 on this 2015 Fiat 500L with 123,000 miles that wouldn't start. The ignition was completely disassembled, and a code reader showed that nearly every computerized system was reporting multiple trouble codes. After towing the vehicle home, my roommate and I ran power directly to the starter motor using jumper cables and got the car to start."

Abarth Update 2: "Lots of Research Really Paid Off While Fixing My $1,500 Fiat Abarth's Broken Axles" - https://www.carbibles.com/lots-of-research-really-paid-off-while-fixing-my-1500-fiat-abarths-broken-axles/

"....Turning the wheel to one side, I looked underneath the car and was greeted with Nutella-like grease flung all around the passenger side suspension members. The axle boot on the transmission-side axle joint was torn, and the grease had all been flung out."