Audio upgrade time

Started by AutobahnSHO, December 24, 2020, 04:47:05 PM

AutobahnSHO

So wife finally agrees it's time to upgrade Impreza radio.

One of her big criteria for minivan was backup cam. She loves it. Dark tint on Impreza rear hatch and small side mirrors make it IMPOSSIBLE to backup at night. You just hope no small animals or bikes are right behind you, because they're gonna get crushed.....   :confused:  So MUST get camera.

DEFINITELY want Android Auto. We both agree we don't really need CDs as we can stream from phones.

Car has 6disc in-dash CD changer (Double DIN) plus under passenger sub. The sub isn't much but for 2005 was pretty decent.  NO steering wheel controls to worry about, dash is close enough anyway.

WHY is it so hard to find a volume knob anymore? I know they save like $.50 using buttons instead but seriously.....   

Amazon Short list so far is

Sony XAV-AX5000 bundle voxx cam $328
Kenwood DMX4707S bundle voxx cam $299
Pioneer MVH-AV251BT bundle voxx cam $345
Pioneer MVH-1400NEX bundle vox cam $345

I love Crutchfield but prices there get to be $$$$$$$ .
Will

Laconian

Do you have volume controls on the steering wheel? The Outback has a volume knob, but as a driver, I just press the steering wheel buttons 9 times out of 10.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

FoMoJo

Quote from: Laconian on December 24, 2020, 04:50:13 PM
Do you have volume controls on the steering wheel? The Outback has a volume knob, but as a driver, I just press the steering wheel buttons 9 times out of 10.
One of the few features I find useful; that and a heated steering wheel.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on December 24, 2020, 04:50:13 PM
Do you have volume controls on the steering wheel?

Nope! Nothing on the steering wheel but horn and cruise control stalk.
Will

Rich

The Sony radio, has a volume knob, and looks good.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

mzziaz

I like android boxes. Endless configuration possibilities.
Cuore Sportivo

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Rich on December 24, 2020, 07:50:57 PM
The Sony radio, has a volume knob, and looks good.

Which Sony? I didn't see a knob on the one I listed.....
Will

Rich

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-XAV-AX100-Sony-6-4-Touchscreen-Double-Din-Bluetooth-Car-Audio-Media-Receiver/875072092?irgwc=1&sourceid=imp_3FKz%3A%3AwDwxyLUrSwUx0Mo3YgUkE3cSTkESb3X40&veh=aff&wmlspartner=imp_197432&clickid=3FKz%3A%3AwDwxyLUrSwUx0Mo3YgUkE3cSTkESb3X40&sharedid=&ad_id=565706&campaign_id=9383

I saw sony xav listed in your post and thought it was this one... the one that I would get if I were in the market, but I don't know if it meets all of your needs.  I just like that it's simple, has a volume knob, is made by an established brand, and has carplay.

AutobahnSHO

Oh yeah, I like that one!
We don't care about carplay- Android Auto is a must though! :)
Will

Gotta-Qik-C7

Media decks are the way to go! I installed the 1400NEX in the C6. No volume knob but it was awsome! I iust put a Power Acoustic in the Silverado. It has a volume knob but it's Apple Car Play only!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

AutobahnSHO

So I ended up ordering JVC KW-M75BT
http://www.us.jvc.com/car/multimedia/kw_m75bt/

$289 with backup cam bundled from Wal-mart seller. Ordered wire harness from Crutchfield.

Supposed to arrive the 30th (yay still on vacation!) then they revised to say it would be here next week then it showed up yesterday.

Son helped me with my crappy soldering to get the harness all setup. Then pulled everything apart and spent way too long yesterday evening getting wires for phone mic threaded through the dash so it won't fall on stuff. First time plugged in the stereo/radio worked great!

BUT the OEM sub wasn't working.

Then pulled apart lots of trim to get wires to backup cam all in place, broke the taillight assembly as the plastic fastener would NOT come out- super brittle with age and poor plastic design. Super glued that then continued on, wiring backup cam to reverse light, and another wire from reverse light to stereo (to trigger camera on the screen). Put epoxy on the taillight assembly to reinforce the dumb design.

Also got the parking brake wire connected to brake wire (crappy soldering and lots of electrical tape on all my connections). Got the USB wire for the phone connection threaded into a good spot.

Took me a minute to realize there is also a FRONT camera option on the back of the stereo, plugged it into the proper one and Magic it all finally worked! But it was late last night...

This morning just said screw it and tried what I figured was a power trigger wire to the sub connecting to the power on wire to the stereo and sub/amp works (but gives a super loud THUMP when it powers off). Got the dash all put back together, put all the interior trim back nice, had to put ALL of the weird foam and carpet pieces back into trunk, and it's all sweet!

Fun to see how simple Android Auto can be. Play music and maps at the same time! (pandora or radio)

It's nice the deck is not deep so didn't have any worries at all about all the extra wires having space.

Just wish it was this easy for our Odyssey.....  :huh:   We don't have NAV but it has DVD and a "CD library" that records up to 18 CDs and steering wheel controls. So I don't really want to tear all that apart!
Will

AutobahnSHO

Annnnnnd  apparently Android Auto disconnects at random. So much I contacted the seller, paid for a new unit to replace the one, with intent to return the defective one after installing the new one (didn't want to rip out wires).

Well new one disconnects too. If you plug the phone back in it connects ok again, but no idea why or how long this will go on. Google it and apparently it's an issue with some phones. Lots of "try a new cable, clean out your USB connector" etc... troubleshooting, but it just.... does this for some phones.

Really annoying. :(   So either I rip stuff out of the car and send it all back (two units) or deal with it and send one unit back. Sigh. 
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 13, 2021, 04:49:29 PM
Annnnnnd  apparently Android Auto disconnects at random. So much I contacted the seller, paid for a new unit to replace the one, with intent to return the defective one after installing the new one (didn't want to rip out wires).

Well new one disconnects too. If you plug the phone back in it connects ok again, but no idea why or how long this will go on. Google it and apparently it's an issue with some phones. Lots of "try a new cable, clean out your USB connector" etc... troubleshooting, but it just.... does this for some phones.

Really annoying. :(   So either I rip stuff out of the car and send it all back (two units) or deal with it and send one unit back. Sigh.

Can't bluetooth?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 13, 2021, 04:50:24 PM
Can't bluetooth?

Can but that doesn't display the map and the Pandora controls...
Will

Laconian

Cleaning out the USB-C connector is good advice. Grit gets packed in the bottom of those things.

Gotta-Qik-C7

My Apple Car Play was doing the same thing in the Silverado. Get a new USB Cord. That fixed my problem!

AutobahnSHO

Bought a new cord before I ordered second deck. It's my wife's phone too. :'-(
Will

Gotta-Qik-C7

Laconian

MrH

The vast majority of these aftermarket head units have stability issues with CarPlay and Android Auto.  Hell, most of the OEM ones do too.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

r0tor

I've had a whole mess of issues with Android Auto - at first it maybe connected 1 out of 5 attempts.  Switching to a Anker Powerline+ usb cord helped a lot.  Google fixed some issues with app updates.  Alfa Romeo seemed to fix some issues with firmware updates.  Ultimately my new phone seemed to solve the remaining issues and the phone probably connects 95% of the time on the first try.

I still have no widescreen android auto which is annoying because car play works in widescreen... Doesn't seem fixable without Alfa overhauling their infotainment which they no longer use (so not happening...)
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SJ_GTI

I've been pretty lucky with my car I guess. I think in 4+ years it has failed to connect maybe half a dozen times? Maybe its a good reason not to upgrade my phone...avoid any potential compatibility issues.  :hmm:

MrH

I still have stability issues with the Outback some.  The latest upgrade helped quite a bit.  And it finally takes up the whole screen and the icons are sized properly.

Once you get used to it, it's hard to go back to any OEM interface.  They all suck.  The S2000 just has a bluetooth head unit hidden behind the radio door, and then I have a mount for my phone, so it's basically just like CarPlay on a smaller screen.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

AutobahnSHO

Some more googling indicates it might be battery settings. I've tweaked those a bit to turn off 'battery saver' so maybe it will stay connected?

I've never had issues with it connecting- super fast and every time. Just annoying when you're jamming maps and Pandora and it just stops. Unplug the cable, plug it back in, and tap the app on the headunit again.
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 14, 2021, 08:20:22 AM
Some more googling indicates it might be battery settings. I've tweaked those a bit to turn off 'battery saver' so maybe it will stay connected?

That's a good theory.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 14, 2021, 08:20:22 AM

I've never had issues with it connecting- super fast and every time. Just annoying when you're jamming maps and Pandora and it just stops. Unplug the cable, plug it back in, and tap the app on the headunit again.

I have a lot of friends on the AA team. I'll see if I can get any hot tipz from them.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on January 14, 2021, 11:18:15 AM
I have a lot of friends on the AA team. I'll see if I can get any hot tipz from them.

I'd be open to sending debug info it helps.

Sometimes it stays connected for 20min, sometimes 3. Makes me wonder what "channel" of comms it keeps open, and what would interrupt that. Or if it's the OS going into any standby or the battery saver thing.

I have Pixel 3a, wife has Pixel 3(aXL?) on most current versions. Both phones do the same, tried 2 different (good) cables, two different decks (JVC KW-M75BT).
Will

Laconian

USB-C actually has a wide range of cable qualities, and the cables themselves are active components with chips that advertise their capabilities (conductors, max current, etc.) So just trying another cable might not be the thing - you might have to try a high end cable which specifically lists AA compliance among its traits.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on January 14, 2021, 11:58:04 AM
USB-C actually has a wide range of cable qualities, and the cables themselves are active components with chips that advertise their capabilities (conductors, max current, etc.) So just trying another cable might not be the thing - you might have to try a high end cable which specifically lists AA compliance among its traits.

Sigh.
Wife was already upset at the $14 cable LOL. The other one we tried was a 6ft Amazon basics which has worked fine for large data transfers to PC.
Will

Rich

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 14, 2021, 12:05:03 PM
Sigh.
Wife was already upset at the $14 cable LOL. The other one we tried was a 6ft Amazon basics which has worked fine for large data transfers to PC.

I have never had luck with amazon basics USB cables for any kind of iPhone data transfer