Audio upgrade time

Started by AutobahnSHO, December 24, 2020, 04:47:05 PM

Laconian

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 14, 2021, 12:05:03 PM
Sigh.
Wife was already upset at the $14 cable LOL. The other one we tried was a 6ft Amazon basics which has worked fine for large data transfers to PC.

Android Auto gobbles quite a bit of power, and if your cable isn't rated for carrying higher voltages, it's _possible_ that your phone is cutting the AA session due to high discharge rate? I'm just spitballing, please don't throw money away at my wild theories ;)
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on January 14, 2021, 11:58:04 AM
USB-C actually has a wide range of cable qualities, and the cables themselves are active components with chips that advertise their capabilities (conductors, max current, etc.) So just trying another cable might not be the thing - you might have to try a high end cable which specifically lists AA compliance among its traits.

I simultaneously love and hate USB C. It's a great idea, but can be so finicky in the real world.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 14, 2021, 02:04:39 PM
I simultaneously love and hate USB C. It's a great idea, but can be so finicky in the real world.

It suffers tremendously from being too open-minded. "Sure, I can do that too!" I wasted a number of hours figuring out why my desktop couldn't use a portable monitor. Turns out there's a thing called "DisplayPort Alt Mode" which COMPLETELY changes the USB protocol and is only supported by mobile GPUs, not desktop GPUs. WTF

AutobahnSHO

Well when I swapped new head unit #2 back for #1 (to mail #2 back for refund) realized the oem woofer was silent. So I got that fixed too. :)

Even if AA is a semi dud, we haz better bass and bluetooth (w/ decent mic)  and backup cam. No more Cee Deez though.
Will

Laconian

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on January 14, 2021, 06:38:57 PM
What a bummer about AA.

We'll see tomorrow with the battery settings changes. I haven't driven anywhere in 3 days :mask:
Will