Hello! E92 M3?

Started by Colonel Cadillac, February 07, 2021, 09:32:20 PM

Laconian

Heh, I miss NPR and my podcasts too.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

My commute is about 2 miles to the interstate- 4 stop signs and 4 turns. Then it's 16 miles of interstate and 55mph highway with a cloverleaf and 3 lights. Then about 2 miles of 35mph with a turn and a 4way.

Pretty boring except for the cloverleafs. If I get first in line at the light I can come into the interstate 1/4 mile ahead of the next car lol.
Will

Colonel Cadillac

https://www.autonation.com/cars/WBSDX9C50CE785001

I really want one in a dark color with a tan or even red interior, but this one otherwise checks all the boxes and it's a good price (provided the $799 "dealer service fee" is negotiated away). Should I be picky and wait for one with a better interior? The interior is where you live in the car, but is it really that important? It's not a new car, so beggars can't be choosers they say...

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on February 19, 2021, 07:53:06 PM
https://www.autonation.com/cars/WBSDX9C50CE785001

I really want one in a dark color with a tan or even red interior, but this one otherwise checks all the boxes and it's a good price (provided the $799 "dealer service fee" is negotiated away). Should I be picky and wait for one with a better interior? The interior is where you live in the car, but is it really that important? It's not a new car, so beggars can't be choosers they say...

I actually like that interior color.

FoMoJo

Quote from: SJ_GTI on February 19, 2021, 07:58:54 PM
I actually like that interior color.
Fifty shades of grey?  Red would make it pop.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

SJ_GTI

I think I'd go brown if I could choose from scratch, but I think grey leather looks good on that interior. It'll definitely be better than black with the top down in the sun.

Lebowski

I don't understand you guys getting tired or sore legs driving a manual. Never had that problem, even in heavy traffic.

I don't blame you for getting the vert, I think if I were ever to own a fun car again it would be a convertible.   Even something like a Miata has a lot more appeal to me than another m3 sedan.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Lebowski on February 20, 2021, 06:49:14 AM
I don't understand you guys getting tired or sore legs driving a manual. Never had that problem, even in heavy traffic.

Only happened to me twice- but both times it was 20+min of clutch in, clutch out. Clutch in, clutch out.
Will

FoMoJo

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 20, 2021, 06:53:30 AM
Only happened to me twice- but both times it was 20+min of clutch in, clutch out. Clutch in, clutch out.
Do you pop it into neutral as you are stopping and release the clutch?

Some drivers sit there with the clutch pedal depressed when stopped.  Hard on the leg, hard on the throw-out bearing.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

MX793

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 20, 2021, 06:53:30 AM

Only time it ever happened to me, I was stuck in gridlock on I90 for road construction.  Took me over an hour to creep along a 2 mile stretch.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 20, 2021, 07:09:01 AM
Do you pop it into neutral as you are stopping and release the clutch?

Some drivers sit there with the clutch pedal depressed when stopped.  Hard on the leg, hard on the throw-out bearing.

Sometimes and tried to minimize the clutch action but it was stop and go foreeeeeeeeeeever
Will

CaminoRacer

Same.

I always put it in neutral when stopped for more than a few seconds
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

CALL_911

I don't blame you for getting the vert, I think if I were ever to own a fun car again it would be a convertible.   Even something like a Miata has a lot more appeal to me than another m3 sedan.

Agree

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

AutobahnSHO

Ok so I've driven Miata into DC in rush hour on 25mph roads that take an hour to go 5 miles. I was ok then. But a couple other extreme traffic jams- horrible. It's not that my leg was unusable later, just somewhat sore.
Will

MrH

You guys got some weak ass legs :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

AutobahnSHO

Will

SJ_GTI

Driving a manual in traffic never bothered me either. I don't have much traffic nowadays but I did when I drove my A4 while living in Montreal (TMR specifically, just a bit north of downtown). Driving ~5 miles could easily take 30-40 minutes there. I also had pretty bad traffic when I was in grad school. I lived in a little town in South Jersey just off Rt 42 coming off the bridge and was working in Pennsauken (right next to the Cherry Hill mall). A ~10 mile commute routinely took ~45-45 minutes, but on bad days it could be an hour and a half to get home in the evening.

To me traffic is annoying whether you have an automatic or manual, but putting it in gear myself never seemed particularly stressful.

r0tor

I get no more enjoyment selecting a gear in my Mazda then flipping a paddle in my Alfa -shrug-
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian

Quote from: r0tor on February 23, 2021, 02:59:54 PM
I get no more enjoyment selecting a gear in my Mazda then flipping a paddle in my Alfa -shrug-

Perfect seamless shifts are still a dopamine hit for me.

r0tor

Quote from: Laconian on February 23, 2021, 03:05:44 PM

So is a nice.brratttttt from a machine gun quick gear change
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FoMoJo

Quote from: Laconian on February 23, 2021, 03:05:44 PM
Shifts should be so reflexive that one never consciously notices them.

Laconian

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 23, 2021, 04:49:04 PM
Shifts should be so reflexive that one never consciously notices them.

When you feel zero drivetrain lash during an aggressive downshift... mmm.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on February 23, 2021, 05:14:36 PM

+1
Will

r0tor

Snap crackle pop of a brilliant executed re matched downshift.... With the flick of a paddle... Ahhhh

FoMoJo

Quote from: Laconian on February 23, 2021, 05:14:36 PM
You are part of the car, or vice versa.  Your focus is 100% on the drive...the road, the potential obstacles...you see, you feel, you react.

I know it's not quite that simple, but in really tricky split second situations, it needs to happen that way if you are to avoid a potential collision, or simply get best results.  I was surprised, after having a unavoidable collision, that sitting there with my car's nose (Alfa) smashed up against the front wheel of a huge black Cadillac, that I had shifted into neutral while braking and the engine was still running; though the radiator had been pushed back against the fan.  I have since exercised defensive driving.

MX793

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 23, 2021, 05:51:31 PM
You are part of the car, or vice versa.  Your focus is 100% on the drive...the road, the potential obstacles...you see, you feel, you react.

I know it's not quite that simple, but in really tricky split second situations, it needs to happen that way if you are to avoid a potential collision, or simply get best results.  I was surprised, after having a unavoidable collision, that sitting there with my car's nose (Alfa) smashed up against the front wheel of a huge black Cadillac, that I had shifted into neutral while braking and the engine was still running; though the radiator had been pushed back against the fan.  I have since exercised defensive driving.

Depending on what gear you were in, the shifter may have popped into neutral upon impact.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SJ_GTI

I don't really get any special enjoyment from shifting during normal driving, but I'm used to it and when I've driven automatics I miss having a traditional manual transmission.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: SJ_GTI on February 23, 2021, 06:12:34 PM
I don't really get any special enjoyment from shifting during normal driving, but I'm used to it and when I've driven automatics I miss having a traditional manual transmission.

I never miss the clutch pedal, only the gear selecting part of manuals
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

Quote from: MX793 on February 23, 2021, 06:10:17 PM
Depending on what gear you were in, the shifter may have popped into neutral upon impact.
Possible, but I don't think so.  It was always my habit to pop it into neutral when braking as I was coming to a stop.  A quick declutch and flip of the gearshift.  It became a reflex and I did it automatically.  Much of the mechanics of driving is a reflex; or should be.