Hello! E92 M3?

Started by Colonel Cadillac, February 07, 2021, 09:32:20 PM

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 23, 2021, 06:17:01 PM
I never miss the clutch pedal, only the gear selecting part of manuals

+1

I frequently zone out while rowing gears and go to the next one but there isn't one.... 
Will

Laconian

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 23, 2021, 07:21:49 PM
+1

I frequently zone out while rowing gears and go to the next one but there isn't one.... 

That's why your transmissions keep exploding on the freeway. You're shifting into reverse.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on February 23, 2021, 07:52:36 PM
That's why your transmissions keep exploding on the freeway. You're shifting into reverse.

:lol:   

BTW I've never broken a transmission. Had to replace clutch in SHO but it was the throwout bearing and not the disc from n00b driving. Plus car had 150k+ miles and 13 years on it and at least two top speed runs that I know of....
Will

Laconian

What was the SHO's shifter like? All of my Taurus experiences have been on cars with bench seats and column shifters. Was there a wraparound console?

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on February 23, 2021, 08:06:31 PM
What was the SHO's shifter like? All of my Taurus experiences have been on cars with bench seats and column shifters. Was there a wraparound console?

Yes there was a console in the center, bucket seats. Mazda-built 5speed so it was pretty decent. Biggest issue really was people smoked a lot of clutches (LOL) and the differential didn't like burnouts at all- people installed quaife (french?) LSDs so they didn't blow up the transmission.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/1995-Ford-Taurus-Pictures-c246?picturesTabFilter=INTERIOR#pictureId=36085355
Will

Colonel Cadillac

I offered $30,500 for this one. Hoping to settle somewhere in the middle if they don't ghost me. I wanted to stay at ~$28k and the $32,500 asking seems a bit high, but alas the scope creep has gotten the best of me! I am guessing it will depreciate another $10k before hitting it's bottom? The electric car bonanza seems like it will flip the depreciation equation for the ICE, so it's hard to tell on that point. It appears to have an aftermarket exhaust, which I am not sure I am mad about. Just hope it doesn't drone on the highway.

It sure is pretty though and seems to be in excellent condition!

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=576847677

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Colonel Cadillac

Turns out the previous owner removed the muffler and put on new tips. According to my YouTube research it sounds pretty beastly without a muffler but it drones at typical 2-3k rpm speeds. I'm going to pass, but that does leave me disappointed.

The number of options expands a little bit if I include M3's with the stock sound, which is absolute garbage, so I would have to immediately upgrade it to something decent. Might make sense to get an Apple CarPlay solution in there at the same time. I've read about some solutions/systems that maintain all the original BMW functionality. But I feel like that would hurt the resale. What do you guys think?

AutobahnSHO

Muffler is what, few hundred bucks??....
Will

Laconian

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on March 04, 2021, 08:07:56 PM
Turns out the previous owner removed the muffler and put on new tips. According to my YouTube research it sounds pretty beastly without a muffler but it drones at typical 2-3k rpm speeds. I'm going to pass, but that does leave me disappointed.

The number of options expands a little bit if I include M3's with the stock sound, which is absolute garbage, so I would have to immediately upgrade it to something decent. Might make sense to get an Apple CarPlay solution in there at the same time. I've read about some solutions/systems that maintain all the original BMW functionality. But I feel like that would hurt the resale. What do you guys think?

How about an active exhaust?

Colonel Cadillac

I said I'd pay full price if they put an OEM muffler on, but I'm open to alternatives. Guessing that's a hard no, so back to the drawing boards

I feel like a muffler plus labor is like $1500, or am I off? I can't do it myself.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on March 05, 2021, 08:38:35 PM
I said I'd pay full price if they put an OEM muffler on, but I'm open to alternatives. Guessing that's a hard no, so back to the drawing boards

I feel like a muffler plus labor is like $1500, or am I off? I can't do it myself.

Mufflers are $200? if that's all it is maybe $200 labor?
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 05, 2021, 09:03:54 PM

There's probably a BMW tax to pay, but yeah it's say closer to a few hundred bucks than 1500
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Colonel Cadillac

The dealer ghosted me after I said I wanted a muffler, and then it sold. I decided I should be responsible and sell the Z4 first, which if things go as expected, it will be sold next week or the week after for ~$1000 more than I bought it for (fingers crossed, waiting for the bank to give me the title so the wait might kill the deal... my fault for not paying for it before listing it, but let's ignore that).

Anyways, here's my current lust. It doesn't have the "individual audio" which is a bummer. It's sort of in the middle of nowhere and I don't have time to fly and pick it up or make sure it's not a dud, but shipping companies will pick it up and deliver it.

https://www.measemotors.com/auto/used-2011-bmw-m3-base-jonestown-pa/54040472/

MX793

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 05, 2021, 09:03:54 PM

Depends if the muffler is just a muffler or has active exhaust stuff in it.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

M3 parts come with a premium price tag... Often a few thousand for an exhaust
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MX793

Seems like OEM E92 M3 mufflers are around $1300.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MrH

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on March 04, 2021, 08:07:56 PM

An audio system done well rarely hurts resale, especially if you keep the stock stuff so the next owner can revert if they want. The issue is when it isn't done correctly. It's not hard to do yourself, just put the extra couple of hours in to make your wiring and everything nice and tidy.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Colonel Cadillac

Hey Team!

I have decided to go in a very different direction. I am waiting for new brakes to come in for it before I pick it up, but hopefully soon will be the proud new owner of a 2018 BMW M550i xDrive!

https://www.essencemaserati.com/inventory/used-2018-bmw-5-series-m550i-xdrive-awd-4d-sedan-wbajb9c5xjb286615/

Going to trade in the GTI, so I'm going to miss having a manual, but when I need to scratch the itch maybe I'll get a cheap Miata or get a Golf R.

12,000 RPM

Congrats! You might be surprised how little you miss a manual
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Submariner

Wow.  It's been years.  How have you been?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: Submariner on July 04, 2021, 01:39:23 PM
Wow.  It's been years.  How have you been?

Doing well! Been working a lot but that's mostly good! Still living down in Houston, TX where it has been endlessly raining forever. One advantage of the Silver BMW is it will hide the water spots better than the black on my GTI  :praise:

There's no ETA on when the new brakes will come in. "It's a national shortage" so I am just sitting tight until they do come in. At the least it is giving me time to say goodbye to the GTI, which annoyingly needs me to replace the right DRL for the second time despite it having only 26,xxx miles argh.

Next car related decision is whether I get a parking spot in the garage at work. Since I'm not traveling anymore for the foreseeable future but back at the office it seems to make sense, especially since it rains a lot here. The spots are really tiny and it's on the 7th floor, so that's a lot of floors to drive up. Will make my 6 minute commute like 30% longer... decisions decisions  :nutty:

Submariner

AutobahnSHO

Would the garage be in the shade? If so OF COURSE!
Will

SJ_GTI

Its nice to have a garage for sure. I keep my car in a garage at home, but of course it sits out in the sun for ~9 hours a day when I am at work, and that is normally the sunniest part of the day. SO how much is my car really benefiting from a garage?  :huh:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 12, 2021, 07:05:54 AM
Its nice to have a garage for sure. I keep my car in a garage at home, but of course it sits out in the sun for ~9 hours a day when I am at work, and that is normally the sunniest part of the day. SO how much is my car really benefiting from a garage?  :huh:

Yeah but it's nice to get in in the morning to a dry and not freezing or baking car.
Will

CALL_911

Whoa that is a lot of car. Congrats man

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

That is a big, big boy indeed.  Congratulations!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Submariner

Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 12, 2021, 07:05:54 AM

CC's garage will protect his car from UV rays and most potential storm damage (severe weather usually hits between 12-6PM).

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Submariner on July 13, 2021, 11:31:19 AM
CC's garage will protect his car from UV rays and most potential storm damage (severe weather usually hits between 12-6PM).

Yeah I didn't really explain my thinking, but yes I would get the garage if I was in his shoes even if it was a pain in the butt to drive up 7 stories, particularly for that reason (as opposed to me, where my car is exposed to the worst part of the day even though I garage it at home).