Question regarding accelerating from stop on snow/ice with manual transmission

Started by veeman, March 01, 2021, 07:38:41 AM

FoMoJo

Quote from: MX793 on March 04, 2021, 07:55:52 AM
You should let a car idle for about 30 seconds before driving.  And then avoid hard driving until it is up to temperature (which should only take 5 minutes of driving).  Idling until up to full temp is also not good for the car.
Agree, my car takes about 30 seconds to come down from 1500 rpm to 800.  I always wait till it does.  As well, I never turn on my climate control in the Winter until the engine temperature reaches normal running temperature.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

FoMoJo

Quote from: veeman on March 04, 2021, 07:49:37 AM
While leaving work this morning I checked the Craptrek's RPM at idle when first starting the car (it had been parked in the garage at work overnight).  It was 1800 RPM.  Five minutes later, at a stop light, I checked the idle again.  It was now at 800 RPM.  You guys are correct. 

I have heard that for the last few decades, there is no need to warm up a car prior to driving off.  You don't need to do that with modern cars.  I can't really do that anyways at my work because people are always searching for parking spots and they expect you to leave the spot as soon as you get in your car.  Whatever.  I'm not a sit in my car without driving off type of person.   :lol:
Sounds like my wife.  She hates being idle.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MX793 on March 04, 2021, 07:55:52 AM
You should let a car idle for about 30 seconds before driving.  And then avoid hard driving until it is up to temperature (which should only take 5 minutes of driving).  Idling until up to full temp is also not good for the car.

+1

Gentle driving is the best warm up.
Will