Drove a Mustang E yesterday.

Started by shp4man, March 03, 2021, 08:40:43 AM

shp4man

It was different. Big screen in the middle of the dash. Slightly rough ride. The range meter was at 268 miles. The brakes, like most EVs or hybrids , are a little touchy.
Absolutely silent at stop lights. Weird. Some light whirring sounds on acceleration.
The screen resolution of the display screen was good, reminds me of a giant iPad.
Stickered at $57K. Is this the new status symbol for the woke crowd?

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

shp4man

Laconian

I read that the Mach E is a good car, but drives much more blandly than the Mustang moniker would make you think.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

shp4man

Quote from: Laconian on March 05, 2021, 10:33:57 AM
I read that the Mach E is a good car, but drives much more blandly than the Mustang moniker would make you think.

It's too big to be a Mustang. Should have been called the LTD III or something.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: shp4man on March 05, 2021, 02:17:41 PM
It's too big to be a Mustang. Should have been called the LTD III or something.

:thumbsup:

We had an LTD II.
Will

cawimmer430

Quote from: shp4man on March 05, 2021, 08:33:51 AM
Hahaha. Not my style.

What? You don't want to save butterflies, polar bears and make 18-year-old Swedish girls happy!? HOW DARE YOU! :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on March 05, 2021, 10:33:57 AM

I can't understand the name at all.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

veeman

Ford did a great job styling it so that it definitely looks like a Ford Mustang had a baby with an SUV.  Rear light treatment looks especially good. First month sales indicate that it looks to be a success (although who knows long term) and is taking market share from Tesla; something that GM was unable to do in the U.S. with the Bolt.

Win for Ford. 

That it doesn't drive or sound anything like a Ford Mustang is secondary. I also don't think it dilutes the Ford Mustang branding.  It didn't replace the Mustang.  It's just styled like it but the cars don't compete with one another and people aren't going to confuse the two.

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 06, 2021, 03:50:12 AM
I can't understand the name at all.

They should have called it the Thunderbolt.  It's a name with real history and one not yet tarnished by being slapped on mediocre junk.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

veeman

Quote from: MX793 on March 06, 2021, 06:42:14 AM
They should have called it the Thunderbolt.  It's a name with real history and one not yet tarnished by being slapped on mediocre junk.

It's too similar to the Chevy Bolt. 

It might be mediocre driving experience (like most SUVs are) but it's a really important product launch for Ford's future.  And as much a good vehicle the Bolt is, it's mostly been a failure for GM at least domestically.  They didn't do due diligence with the styling, size, and branding.  Ford at least initially seems to have. 

veeman

In some ways the controversy reminds me of the one surrounding the Porsche Cayenne when it first came out. 

Man that car saved Porsche so that they could keep building vehicles which are "real" Porsches.

MX793

Quote from: veeman on March 06, 2021, 06:57:48 AM
It's too similar to the Chevy Bolt. 

It might be mediocre driving experience (like most SUVs are) but it's a really important product launch for Ford's future.  And as much a good vehicle the Bolt is, it's mostly been a failure for GM at least domestically.  They didn't do due diligence with the styling, size, and branding.  Ford at least initially seems to have. 

No, not really.  No one is going to confuse Bolt and Thunderbolt any more than Firebird and Thunderbird.  Thunderbolt is a legacy Ford name with good history not yet ruined by mediocre product like Galaxy, 500, Fairlane, and Taurus.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

CaminoRacer

Fusion or Galaxy would have been my choice.

I'm not a fan of the rear lights, would have designed them more similar to other Fords, not the Mustang.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

They need a term from electromagnetism, before they all get snapped up.

Ford Ohm
Ford Maxwell
Ford Flux (this also means diarrhea doesn't it?)
Ford Edison
Ford Coulomb

FoMoJo

Quote from: Laconian on March 06, 2021, 01:20:47 PM

Ford Ohm
Ford Maxwell
Ford Edison
Ford Coulomb
Ford Faraday sounds pretty good.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Laconian

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: veeman on March 06, 2021, 05:19:06 AM
Ford did a great job styling it so that it definitely looks like a Ford Mustang had a baby with an SUV.  Rear light treatment looks especially good. First month sales indicate that it looks to be a success (although who knows long term) and is taking market share from Tesla; something that GM was unable to do in the U.S. with the Bolt.

Win for Ford. 

That it doesn't drive or sound anything like a Ford Mustang is secondary. I also don't think it dilutes the Ford Mustang branding.  It didn't replace the Mustang.  It's just styled like it but the cars don't compete with one another and people aren't going to confuse the two.

Agree, calling it Mustang "E" and not just Mustang means they will keep the "regular" Mustang and goes for the sexy vibe Tesla attracts. Bolt seems to be just a boring functional car- and those rarely succeed.
Will

r0tor

I really don't see much that's appealing about this thing
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: r0tor on March 07, 2021, 07:37:28 AM
I really don't see much that's appealing about this thing

People want:
-electric
-SUV
-cool
-cheap(er than the competition)

I don't understand the fetish with 4door pickup trucks that are used like Priuses 90% of the time, but they're one of the top sellers in the country. This could sell very very well, just because of the name.

Will

r0tor

To me it's not as practical as an suv or hatch, and doesn't handle as well as a car... so it's a failboat off of design.  It's EV powertrains are rather meh... and I would be massively damned to buy a "mustang" that doesn't have a V8

Complete pass
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: r0tor on March 07, 2021, 06:53:00 PM
To me it's not as practical as an suv or hatch, and doesn't handle as well as a car... so it's a failboat off of design.  It's EV powertrains are rather meh... and I would be massively damned to buy a "mustang" that doesn't have a V8

Complete pass

whut? It IS an SUV/hatch. Vid I watched said it has 29cubic ft of room, drop seats to double that. Sure CR-V has 38 and 75ft but still, it's not a tiny car.

Add the front storage area??...
Will

AutobahnSHO

Google says Audi E-tron has 29/ 57ft of storage in the rear.
Will

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on March 06, 2021, 01:20:47 PM

Ford Ohm
Ford Maxwell
Ford Edison
Ford Coulomb
They should rename the last of their macho outgoing petrol SUVs:
Ford Fornicator
Ford Exhibition
Ford Extratesticular
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

r0tor

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 07, 2021, 08:12:29 PM
whut? It IS an SUV/hatch. Vid I watched said it has 29cubic ft of room, drop seats to double that. Sure CR-V has 38 and 75ft but still, it's not a tiny car.

Add the front storage area??...

That's the size on paper - which is trash.  The CR-V actually counts the footwells of the second row and a bunch of cubby spaces to inflate their numbers.

The sloping rear roof line kills practicality and limits what you can shove into the back of these "suv coupe" designs.