Science is in: COVID causes people to drive like jerks

Started by Laconian, March 05, 2021, 10:41:06 AM

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

FoMoJo

Haven't been driving long enough to develop any good driving reflexes.  They get in a tight spot and just freeze.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

shp4man

I wholeheartedly agree. Seems like more idiots/assholes on the road than ever before.

Laconian

Quote from: MX793 on March 05, 2021, 11:09:11 AM
Seatbelts are for squares.

From the comments "I buckle up since day I was born. But in Russia or Soviet Union buckling up considered too radical and unmanly (like wearing mask) even in 1990s. I remember driver of the car where I was a passenger (en route to Moscow) didn't buckle up but pretended to do it so from outside it looked as if he was buckled up, to avoid ticket. When I asked him isn't it easier to actually buckle up than imitate he told be that he does not trust government, he feels free without buckling up, his dad and grandpa never buckled up and that law was forced on Russia by the West to enslave Russian."

I've heard that Italian drivers wear jackets with fake seatbelts sewn onto them, and defeat the warning chimes by inserting a dummy seatbelt latch(?) into the receptacle.

Soup DeVille

You can buy dummy seatbelt latches. They actually make sense for people who carry stuff on their passenger seats, or let their dogs ride with them; or use their vehicles on ranches or stuff.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

I was working week on/off during the initial lockdown and all summer 2020. There was an absolute palpable difference of traffic density and flow (lower and better) compared to about a month later when Virginia eased off. Roads that were always gridlocked were finally free-moving and easy to get to places during initial lockdown.

I could absolutely tell after more people got back on the road that there was a higher percentage of super-speedsters on the road than before. Not sure if they were the "I'm finally free!" types or the "But I was driving fast last week!" types. 
Will

Laconian

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 05, 2021, 07:39:00 PM
I was working week on/off during the initial lockdown and all summer 2020. There was an absolute palpable difference of traffic density and flow (lower and better) compared to about a month later when Virginia eased off. Roads that were always gridlocked were finally free-moving and easy to get to places during initial lockdown.

I could absolutely tell after more people got back on the road that there was a higher percentage of super-speedsters on the road than before. Not sure if they were the "I'm finally free!" types or the "But I was driving fast last week!" types. 

Maybe this will leave a lasting legacy of us all speeding everywhere like Californians. :lol:

MX793

Quote from: Laconian on March 05, 2021, 02:41:03 PM

From the comments "I buckle up since day I was born. But in Russia or Soviet Union buckling up considered too radical and unmanly (like wearing mask) even in 1990s. I remember driver of the car where I was a passenger (en route to Moscow) didn't buckle up but pretended to do it so from outside it looked as if he was buckled up, to avoid ticket. When I asked him isn't it easier to actually buckle up than imitate he told be that he does not trust government, he feels free without buckling up, his dad and grandpa never buckled up and that law was forced on Russia by the West to enslave Russian."

I've heard that Italian drivers wear jackets with fake seatbelts sewn onto them, and defeat the warning chimes by inserting a dummy seatbelt latch(?) into the receptacle.

Is it really so hard for people to accept that sometimes rules/laws/regulations that pertain to safety are actually a good idea?  I feel like there are people who would douse themselves in gasoline while smoking if the government were to pass a law against it.  All in the name of freedumb.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

Quote from: MX793 on March 05, 2021, 07:51:49 PM
Is it really so hard for people to accept that sometimes rules/laws/regulations that pertain to safety are actually a good idea?  I feel like there are people who would douse themselves in gasoline while smoking if the government were to pass a law against it.  All in the name of freedumb.

It takes a concerted effort or a whole lotta brainwashing to remain so unaware of seatbelts' benefits for so long.

FoMoJo

It amazes me that so many seem to rebel against laws/rules that protect their safety, and that of others, screaming about their "freedoms" and "liberties" but allow themselves to be brainwashed in other respects.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

This was apparent before COVID showed up. My money is on all of the new safety and assistance systems in modern cars which forces people to become even worse drivers.

I can sort off see how this happens. When I was driving my BMW 118i I had none of that fancy stuff. Now with the A250, these systems make your life easier and I catch myself relying on them A LOT. BUT - I pride myself on being a good and situationally aware driver and always check manually if the coast is clear. I have blind spot warning systems - but I always check via sight to see if there are cars next to me. 360-degree bird's eye back-up camera with front and rear wide angle cameras - well I still turn my head to watch out for cars, kids etc. Bottom line, I still check manually to maintain my skills and prevent myself from becoming too dependent on these systems, which are nice to have for sure.

That being said, some people are just crap drivers. We have a lot of such people here as well. Idiots who pull out in front of my when I am approaching at over 130 mph on the Autobahn etc. Morons.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Laconian

I think you'd go crazy here, Christian.. they're so bad.. A couple days ago I was behind a Yaris whose driver was swiping through Tiktoks on a windshield mount, WHILE DRIVING AND CHANGING LANES...

All that stuff is super illegal now but I don't think it ever gets enforced!

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on March 07, 2021, 06:59:34 PM
I think you'd go crazy here, Christian.. they're so bad.. A couple days ago I was behind a Yaris whose driver was swiping through Tiktoks on a windshield mount, WHILE DRIVING AND CHANGING LANES...

Cops seem to enforce all the wrong traffic laws instead of the ticketing the actual dangerous drivers.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 08, 2021, 10:41:38 AM
Cops seem to enforce all the wrong traffic laws instead of the ticketing the actual dangerous drivers.

+1
Will

Morris Minor

For the first time yesterday I heard the traffic reporters state that traffic in Metro Atlanta is back to pre-covid levels, so maybe the higher density will get speeds back down again. There was a big jump in road deaths in GA in 2020.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

cawimmer430

Quote from: Laconian on March 07, 2021, 06:59:34 PM

I'm already going crazy here.

The quality of drivers has gone down the drain here - big time. People don't signal anymore and on the Autobahns it's so common for some truck or moron to pull out in front of you while you're approaching at a much faster speed. Do people these days have such poor judgement and situational awareness skills, or are they just stupid?

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Laconian

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 09, 2021, 04:36:09 AM

The quality of drivers has gone down the drain here - big time. People don't signal anymore and on the Autobahns it's so common for some truck or moron to pull out in front of you while you're approaching at a much faster speed. Do people these days have such poor judgement and situational awareness skills, or are they just stupid?

Phones...

MX793

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 09, 2021, 04:36:09 AM

Lol, I wish that was the only bad driving behavior I had to complain about.
Needs more Jiggawatts

AutobahnSHO

I literally missed a light because some dummy was on their phone. They made the pink light. (when it's changing from yellow to red)
Will

cawimmer430

Quote from: MX793 on March 09, 2021, 01:12:08 PM
Lol, I wish that was the only bad driving behavior I had to complain about.

There's more.

Plus, what really bothers me is how cyclists and people on these electric scooters are listening to their music via iPod or something or constantly glancing on their phones while cycling through the city. Just 10 minutes ago some idiot cyclist ran a red light and was looking at his phone while I was making a right-hand turn. If I had hit this scumbag, it would have been "my fault" because I am the car driver and he's an innocent super duper eco good-for-the-climate Sieg Heil Greta cyclist...

www.wimmerfotografie.de

shp4man

LOL.
Some clueless moron was doing 95 in the carpool lane this morning. He was alone. There was a CHP officer right on his ass.
This dumb fuck didn't even look in the mirror till the cop lit him up.
:lol: