Hydrogen Paste - The Fuel of The Future

Started by cawimmer430, March 12, 2021, 12:06:58 AM

cawimmer430

This hydrogen paste has a similar range to that of gasoline and could revolutionize the transport industry

As the devastating potential impacts of climate change become increasingly obvious, many are turning away from fossil fuels to power their vehicles and looking for alternatives.

The answer may lie in the hydrogen industry, which is projected to generate $2.5 trillion in revenue by 2050 and to provide hard competition to Elon Musk's Tesla-produced electric cars.

A team at the Fraunhofer Institute for Manufacturing Technology and Advanced Materials IFAM in Germany has now developed a hydrogen paste, POWERPASTE, that may be easier to use especially in smaller vehicles.

Hydrogen-powered motorbikes and scooters

In 2018, the French startup Pragma Industries began selling hydrogen-powered bikes.

However, they were too expensive for the consumer market at over $9,000 per bike and $36,000 for a charging station.

POWERPASTE might be able to solve that problem, with the substance created from magnesium base and stored in the vehicle in the form of a cartridge.

All drivers need to do to refuel is swap out the old cartridge for a new one and fill a tank with water.

"POWERPASTE stores hydrogen in a chemical form at room temperature and atmospheric pressure to be then released on demand," institute research associate Dr. Marcus Vogt said in a press release.

As the paste only begins to decompose at temperatures of around 480 degrees Fahrenheit, researchers said drivers didn't need to worry about leaving their vehicles out in the hot sun.

Fuel for the future

"POWERPASTE... has a huge energy storage density," said Vogt. "It is substantially higher than that of a 700 bar high-pressure tank. And compared to batteries, it has ten times the energy storage density."

The researchers also pointed out that the range of the paste can be compared with gasoline and may even exceed it.

They suggested that this could make it a viable option for cars or in portable fuel cells on camping trips, and could significantly extend the possibilities of drone usage.

The hydrogen industry looks set to grow significantly in the coming years.

Jeff Bezos and Bill Gates have already backed the startup ZeroAvia, which is developing hydrogen-powered flights.

In 2016, Germany invested $265 million in hydrogen cars and with the rise of viable alternatives, other countries may now follow suit.

The institute is now building a pilot plant at the Fraunhofer Project Center for Energy Storage and Systems in the German city of Braunschweig.

Scheduled to open later this year, they estimate an annual production capacity of four tonnes of POWERPASTE.

Link: https://www.businessinsider.com/car-bike-tesla-amazon-gates-bezos-climate-change-fuel-drone-2021-2?r=DE&IR=T
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Payman

"they estimate an annual production capacity of four tonnes of POWERPASTE."

You'll excuse me if I don't seem excited.

MX793

Quote from: Rockraven on March 12, 2021, 06:33:26 AM

Wow, 4 whole tonnes.  That will power what, 2 or maybe 3 vehicles a year?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Morris Minor

I just like the name. "Hold on honey, before we get started, just let me rub in some POWERPASTE™."
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Payman

Quote from: Morris Minor on March 12, 2021, 06:42:40 AM
I just like the name. "Hold on honey, before we get started, just let me rub in some POWERPASTE™."

Careful. With the expansion properties when you get POWERPASTE wet, she'll blast you through the wall like a vaginal howitzer.

WookieOnRitalin

Quote from: Rockraven on March 12, 2021, 07:08:00 AM
Careful. With the expansion properties when you get POWERPASTE wet, she'll blast you through the wall like a vaginal howitzer.

I never thought my eyes would ever grace the combination of vaginal and howitzer.  :clap:
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

Laconian

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on March 12, 2021, 01:48:27 PM
I never thought my eyes would ever grace the combination of vaginal and howitzer.  :clap:

Rule 34 probably applies.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Payman

die muschi kanone

jetzt mit POWERPASTE!

Laconian

cawimmer430

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Rockraven on March 12, 2021, 06:33:26 AM

Yeah, but keep in mind this is a small institution with literally zero production capacity. It will be interesting to see if this could become mass-produced and thus become a serious alternative to the many issues with battery technology.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Laconian

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 13, 2021, 07:06:02 AM
Yeah, but keep in mind this is a small institution with literally zero production capacity. It will be interesting to see if this could become mass-produced and thus become a serious alternative to the many issues with battery technology.

:hesaid:

FoMoJo

Many potential future energy options.  You don't have to just settle for one.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 15, 2021, 07:41:47 PM
Many potential future energy options.  You don't have to just settle for one.

My personal favorite are eFuels. I'm glad that the conservative and liberal politicians here are finally pushing for it. That way we can continue to be mobile while driving our beloved internal combustion engined cars.

www.wimmerfotografie.de