Fiat Punto - mzziaz goes downmarket and gets surprised

Started by mzziaz, March 27, 2020, 03:00:51 PM

mzziaz

I've been contemplating getting a new daily beater for a while. The Renault was needing a new clutch and cam belt. The dealership recommended changing the dual mass flywheel also, and quoted $4000 for parts and labor.

It has been a reliable car, and I contemplated fixing it. But it had quite a few cosmetic issues and truth be told I was getting thoroughly bored with it.

So, I decided to get a new one instead. From a financial perspective, an EV makes a lot of sense. It has somewhere around 60-70% lower running costs than an ICE.
However, I'd need quite a bit of range since I sometimes travel a bit for work, so the cheap EVs were not an option. I almost got a Tesla Model 3, but I was hesitant to spend that amount of cash. Also, a Tesla might have a bit of a wrong image for my line of work.

Then, I came over a very low milage 2011 Fiat Punto diesel. Fiats have terrible residual values in Norway, so it was really cheap (about $4k), and looked to be in great shape.

So, I flew down to Bergen to look at it, which was a pretty weird experience by itself. (Empty airports, 3 pax on the plane).
The Punto has a pretty low rep, so expections were really low. I reckoned the only thing going for it was great mpg. But I wound up buying it anyway, after just a short test drive, mostly because it was in such a good condition.

The next day, I drove the nine hours back home, and to my surprise I enjoyed every minute of it thoroughly. It has the curb weight of a Miata, so it is very nimble. But to my surprise, it is a lot more roomy than the size suggests. Actually, it also turned out to be pretty comfortable and stabile on the highway and the combination of manual gearbox, low weight and diesel torque somehow makes it feel adequately powered even though it is really low on hp.

In fact I was blown away of how competent the car is, even though it is pretty basic. Only weak points is a bit poor NVH and not very supportive seats. In Norway, superminis are generally perceived as too small and shitty, with Fiats being some of the worst ones. So it was very unexpected - almost a bit weird to be enjoying the drive as much as I did.

Actually, I find myself looking forward to each drive. Both the Alfa Romeo and the Opel stays in the garage for the time being.

Some of the enjoyment comes from the low mass and the general nimbleness of the car, which makes driving in the twisties really fun. But there is something more.

New cars today are not only big and rather heavy, but they have all those infotainment and active security systems like lane department systems etc.

The Punto offers a totally different and more engaging experience with just a steering wheel, pedals and a gearbox that requires extensive use to get the most of the little engine. And even though it is basic, both the general design and engineering is great with a stiff and competent chassis.

The way things are going, my next car is going to be an EV. And I'm sure it will be a great, powerful drive packed with creature comforts. But something will be lost on the way.

And in the meantime, I'm planning to enjoy the little Punto to the fullest. Right now I hope I'll be able to keep it for quite some time until progress finally catches up with me.

Cuore Sportivo

Laconian

What's the engine and trim? I like a good honest economy car. I didn't know they existed anymore. All of the Renaults I've driven recently have had distant steering, vague gearboxes, and ridiculous clutch engagement points. I figured most economy cars have gone done that path (save Honda and maybe VW).
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

shp4man

It's Italian and red...very traditional. What kind of fuel economy is it getting?

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on March 27, 2020, 04:17:37 PM
What's the engine and trim? I like a good honest economy car. I didn't know they existed anymore. All of the Renaults I've driven recently have had distant steering, vague gearboxes, and ridiculous clutch engagement points. I figured most economy cars have gone done that path (save Honda and maybe VW).

A handful of basic MT shift Nissans share stuff with Renault. The Nissans are also pretty bad.

A lot of economy cars are actually very good.

The GM Gamma platform is a pretty competent chassis if my GM Gamma II Chevy Sonic is anything to go by.

Also, I'm assuming this is a 1.3JTD.

mzziaz

Yes, it's 1.3 multijet. Great little engine. Trim level is dynamic, I think (mid level).

MPG is excellent. 50-65, perhaps, depending on how hard you drive it.
Cuore Sportivo

Laconian

50-65, US or imperial? 65MPG US w/o hybrid doesn't seem possible.

mzziaz

Quote from: Laconian on March 27, 2020, 05:04:37 PM
50-65, US or imperial? 65MPG US w/o hybrid doesn't seem possible.

US. The last leg home the car returned 57 us mpg (0.41 l/10km) although I drove pretty hard.

I'm sure I could get a significantly better number if I babied it.

From my understanding, diesels still have an edge over hybrids on highway use. Prius et al shines in more mixed driving, doesn't it?
Cuore Sportivo

2o6

It's not uncommon for the old Jetta/Golf 2.0 diesels to crest 50MPG on the freeway. A lighter car with a smaller engine, 60MPG sounds believable. Hell, even the Cruze Diesel sold in the USA was rated at like 49MPG freeway.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

mzziaz

Quote from: 2o6 on March 27, 2020, 04:46:57 PM
A handful of basic MT shift Nissans share stuff with Renault. The Nissans are also pretty bad.

A lot of economy cars are actually very good.

The GM Gamma platform is a pretty competent chassis if my GM Gamma II Chevy Sonic is anything to go by.

Also, I'm assuming this is a 1.3JTD.

I guess the Sonic also is a bit of an underrated car. Also, I think it looks good.
Actually, according to wiki it is available with the same 1.3 multijet as the Punto. What drivetrain do you have?
Cuore Sportivo

cawimmer430

Comgrats on your new budget Ferrari (it's red and Italian!).  :lol: :cheers:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

2o6

Quote from: mzziaz on March 28, 2020, 02:23:55 AM
I guess the Sonic also is a bit of an underrated car. Also, I think it looks good.
Actually, according to wiki it is available with the same 1.3 multijet as the Punto. What drivetrain do you have?

I have the 1.4 Turbo gas "LUJ" engine, with the six-speed manual. It was available in the Cruze and Astra, and my Sonic with 138HP. I think the Corsa got the same engine but in a lower state of tune (110HP?).

We only got the 1.4T and the 1.8N/A in the USA-made Sonic.

AutobahnSHO

congrats!!!

My Miata doesn't even have a clock anywhere. I mean I could use the stereo display but it's fun not having ANY real electronic junk. Just back to basics.

As far as gas mileage, that's great!   

In 2003 or so, I rented a Ford 12pax diesel van and drove it from Mannheim to Venice and back (over the alps twice!) and got WAY better gas mileage than the Ford Galaxy petrol 7seater we drove to Paris (almost all flat) with the same people and luggage the next week.
Will

Laconian

Quote from: mzziaz on March 27, 2020, 05:17:33 PM
US. The last leg home the car returned 57 us mpg (0.41 l/10km) although I drove pretty hard.

I'm sure I could get a significantly better number if I babied it.

From my understanding, diesels still have an edge over hybrids on highway use. Prius et al shines in more mixed driving, doesn't it?

Oh right, diesel. Even still, it's an impressive figure. Congratulations! It's a pretty handsome one-box design.

cawimmer430

We want some interior and more exterior pics! Don't be shy!!!  :cheers:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

mzziaz

Tomorrow I'm going to help my daughter move to university.

The trailer is bigger than the car and has a dry weight of about 1000 lb.

Luckily I have 86 hp of diesel fury  :lol:

I installed the tow bar myself with electrics and everything, so any catastrophic events tomorrow will be all on me.  :mask: I'm really proud that I pulled that off, actually. I've never done any electrical work on a car before.
Cuore Sportivo

FoMoJo

What part of the car is the tow bar attached to?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

mzziaz

There is an inner rear steel bumper that you replace with the tow bar. It is secured to the steel structure of the car with eight bolts.
Cuore Sportivo

FoMoJo

Quote from: mzziaz on July 24, 2020, 12:39:34 PM
There is an inner rear steel bumper that you replace with the tow bar. It is secured to the steel structure of the car with eight bolts.
That seems pretty secure.

mzziaz

Yeah, I'm not worried about it falling off. An electrical fire, on the other hand.... 😄
Cuore Sportivo

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: mzziaz on July 24, 2020, 12:01:29 PM

Tomorrow I'm going to help my daughter move to university.

The trailer is bigger than the car and has a dry weight of about 1000 lb.

Luckily I have 86 hp of diesel fury  :lol:

I installed the tow bar myself with electrics and everything, so any catastrophic events tomorrow will be all on me.  :mask: I'm really proud that I pulled that off, actually. I've never done any electrical work on a car before.

Haha nice!

The Toyota and Honda minivans have 6 pre-threaded holes for attaching a tow hitch receiver.
https://www.curtmfg.com/part/13068

I was going to splice the wires for lights but found Honda installed a breaker panel in the rear- bought an adapter which just plugs in! NOT my picture, mine has one white plug that goes into the big section of pins. 

Will

mzziaz

Nice!

No adapter for the Punto, unfortunately, but luckily a rear fusebox. I had to wire in a relay to avoid the tow bar connection messing with the canbus.

Cuore Sportivo

mzziaz

600 km without a hitch. Terribly slow acceleration, but it kept good pace with traffic after getting up to speed, even with a trailer load approaching 1000 kg. The multijet is a peach of an engine.

Average consumption: 8.3 l/100km as per the computer. Real numbers are higher since I forgot to reset before the trip.

Cuore Sportivo

AutobahnSHO

Will

mzziaz

Since regular FM radio is disconnected in Norway, I installed an android head unit. It came out pretty good, I think.

Cuore Sportivo

FoMoJo

Quote from: mzziaz on July 30, 2020, 02:33:47 PM
Since regular FM radio is disconnected in Norway, I installed an android head unit. It came out pretty good, I think.

I don't quite understand what you did, but it looks impressive.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

mzziaz

Oh, it was a big controversy for sure.

But digital radio is better and more user friendly, so I guess it is a net plus even if you do need to swap out a ton of FM radios.

Got to love the flexibility of those android HUs. You can tweak them any way you want with apps, widgets and skins.
Cuore Sportivo

Soup DeVille

Quote from: mzziaz on July 30, 2020, 02:33:47 PM

Many surprising things here.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator