Honey trap speed limits

Started by Morris Minor, August 08, 2019, 04:15:58 AM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 21, 2019, 09:26:14 AM
I just keep an eye on the pedestrian timers for basic intersections with lights.  Gets more complicated when you have turning lights and such.

At the very least, I watch for the other light to turn yellow so I can put truck in gear. Nobody wants to keep their foot on the clutch for five minutes, killing the throwout bearing, waiting for these stupid lights change. Fuck it, I run plenty of red lights after stopping, waiting, seeing zero traffic, and no sign of the lights ever changing. South Carolina has 1930s traffic light technology.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 20, 2019, 12:07:09 PM
The length should be known. There should be a countdown timer, just like the pedestrian signals. Intentionally witholding crucial information creates artificial danger.

Its actually illegal in some places and against the MUTCD everywhere. Studies have shown such devices increase accidents.

The problem is that many yellows are timed too short to begin with. There's a relatively complicated formula that's supposed to be used, but often lights are left at either the default (4 sec) timing, or timed for traffic flow rather than for safe transitions

http://onlinepubs.trb.org/onlinepubs/nchrp/docs/NCHRP03-95_FR.pdf
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 21, 2019, 10:37:29 AM
Its actually illegal in some places and against the MUTCD everywhere. Studies have shown such devices increase accidents.

The problem is that many yellows are timed too short to begin with. There's a relatively complicated formula that's supposed to be used, but often lights are left at either the default (4 sec) timing, or timed for traffic flow rather than for safe transitions

http://onlinepubs.trb.org/onlinepubs/nchrp/docs/NCHRP03-95_FR.pdf

They'll spend a billion dollars studying how stupid drivers are and tailoring the roads to suit that level of stupidity, but driver education programs and testing requirements haven't been updated since the 1950s.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 21, 2019, 11:03:14 AM
They'll spend a billion dollars studying how stupid drivers are and tailoring the roads to suit that level of stupidity, but driver education programs and testing requirements haven't been updated since the 1950s.

When I found my own country, I'll call you to consult on building the roads. Until then, we both have to deal with what is.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 21, 2019, 11:06:53 AM
When I found my own country, I'll call you to consult on building the roads. Until then, we both have to deal with what is.

I would like to be the Minister of Roads and Furries

Morris Minor

Maybe adopt this. (UK)

Red traffic light
A vehicle must stop just behind the white stop line at traffic light.

Red and amber traffic lights
Also means stop but can prepare to go. A vehicle must not pass through the lights until the green light is illuminated.

Green traffic light
When the light turns green, you may proceed providing the way is clear.

Amber traffic light
When a single amber light is illuminated, you must prepare to stop just before the first white line. You may only proceed through an amber is you have just crossed the stop line as it changes or are too close to the stop line that stopping may cause an accident.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

Morris Minor

^^ When I learned to drive in the era of the ancients, red & amber meant: foot down on the clutch, move out of neutral into 1st, release the handbrake, get ready.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤