The number of people with >$1k car payments is ridiculous

Started by Laconian, October 05, 2022, 11:24:34 PM

Laconian

Is this right? Holy crap. No wonder so many Americans don't have any savings.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

veeman

Any car costing over $55 thousand dollars will have > $1000 monthly payment once you include sales tax assuming financed over 5 years and 0 down. 

Americans love crew cab pickups, large SUVs, and Teslas...

veeman

I wonder what the average or mean APR is on those loans?

AutobahnSHO

Wyoming I imagine it's a lot of ranch trucks PLUS Jackson county has a ton of celebrities calling it home due to no income tax and cheap land back in the day (Bruce Willis, Harrison Ford, Kanye West, etc...) Incomes are low across the state though, so that kind of surprises me.

As for the rest- people are nuts!
Will

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

Quote from: veeman on October 06, 2022, 05:20:21 AM
Any car costing over $55 thousand dollars will have > $1000 monthly payment once you include sales tax assuming financed over 5 years and 0 down. 

Americans love crew cab pickups, large SUVs, and Teslas...

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 06, 2022, 06:01:39 AM
Wyoming I imagine it's a lot of ranch trucks PLUS Jackson county has a ton of celebrities calling it home due to no income tax and cheap land back in the day (Bruce Willis, Harrison Ford, Kanye West, etc...) Incomes are low across the state though, so that kind of surprises me.

Yep, I think big pickups explain a lot of Texas, Wyoming, Utah, and Colorado.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Lebowski

Look at how many luxury cars are on the road.

Probably, 10-20% of the cars on the road are cars you'd need to be a 1%er to comfortably afford.

Laconian

Quote from: Lebowski on October 07, 2022, 03:21:29 PM

Probably, 10-20% of the cars on the road are cars you'd need to be a 1%er to comfortably afford.

Not just cars; optioned-up trucks hit luxury price levels. I'm pretty sure that's why Texas is colored orange. With interest rates the way they are, a ~$55k car with a not-insane financing period will put you over a grand a month.

FoMoJo

I could never understand why so many young people in my old neighbourhood could afford BMWs and Mercedes.  I thought they were likely drug dealers.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

RomanChariot

Quote from: Laconian on October 07, 2022, 03:24:49 PM
Not just cars; optioned-up trucks hit luxury price levels. I'm pretty sure that's why Texas is colored orange. With interest rates the way they are, a ~$55k car with a not-insane financing period will put you over a grand a month.

A base Chevy Tahoe will put you in that range.

Lebowski

Quote from: Laconian on October 07, 2022, 03:24:49 PM

Yes, I was just using cars as all passenger / light (non-commercial) vehicles.

I am surprised rates haven't dampened things like housing prices and autos more than they have, thus far.  Average person shops by payment and these interest rate increases are massive.

GoCougs

The FlexPSIN delivers on Twatter. I just don't know what it is, but you can see it in their faces:

https://twitter.com/jessicaray0/status/1563329075153760256

Laconian

Quote from: GoCougs on October 07, 2022, 07:07:12 PM
The FlexPSIN delivers on Twatter. I just don't know what it is, but you can see it in their faces:

https://twitter.com/jessicaray0/status/1563329075153760256

Definite one percenter vibes off all of them.

GoCougs

Quote from: Laconian on October 07, 2022, 07:17:54 PM
Definite one percenter vibes off all of them.

I think it's a fetid concoction of flex desperation and good ole debt anxiety. Poor bastards to be exploited by their employer so.

r0tor

Quote from: Lebowski on October 07, 2022, 03:21:29 PM

There are a significant amount of luxury brand cars/suvs that cost less than an average domestic truck these days
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on October 08, 2022, 10:37:05 AM

There are a significant amount of luxury brand cars/suvs that cost less than an average domestic truck these days

I was not aware I had said otherwise.

I'm referring to all high end passenger vehicles as if that was not clear, not distinguishing car vs truck vs suv vs luxury vs performance etc.

Laconian

Quote from: GoCougs on October 08, 2022, 08:34:31 AM
I think it's a fetid concoction of flex desperation and good ole debt anxiety. Poor bastards to be exploited by their employer so.

Or maybe they're drinking their own Kool Aid a bit too much. The four square did a number on their brains.

What strikes me too is just how boring so many of the financed cars actually are. OK, a Hellcat is cool, but why would you stretch yourself that far for a big SUV?

CaminoRacer

People seem to take pride is getting approved for big loans or a mortgage. As if taking a loan makes then a big baller.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Laconian on October 08, 2022, 01:00:45 PM
Or maybe they're drinking their own Kool Aid a bit too much. The four square did a number on their brains.

What strikes me too is just how boring so many of the financed cars actually are. OK, a Hellcat is cool, but why would you stretch yourself that far for a big SUV?
:hesaid:

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide