Cloverleaf adventures

Started by AutobahnSHO, October 12, 2022, 06:14:48 PM

AutobahnSHO

So it was rainy today so I took Civic to work.

I get to the light at my favorite cloverleaf when it's red and I'm first in line in the right lane, a civic behind me, then a newer Civic comes screeching up to stop in the lane to my left. I kinda figured they're trying to jump the traffic behind me so it turns green and I FLOOR it. He does too. He can't pull ahead at all  :rockon:

https://goo.gl/maps/jkazMCYtuq9bjJLr5

45mph zone and we get up to 51mph before he finally brakes and I brake just down to 40 as we go into the "25mph" curve.

https://goo.gl/maps/7eeEq2LHtzZASpjk7

I take it at about 40mph, pushing about 85% of what the Civic could probably do- I can do it at 45mph in Scrappy. I'm full on the gas as it straightens out and hit 65mph at the merge. It's a 65mph zone where people are flying by at 10 over, always kinda dangerous when people get scared and almost stop instead of merge..

https://goo.gl/maps/eMBMSygHHEHegehe6

And I look back and the racer is literally 20 car lengths behind me. I set cruise at 70mph in the middle lane and made it home before it started raining....
Will

r0tor

When I drive around with the g-meter up displayed on the Alfa you get a pretty clear indication of how little people actually understand the limits of an average modern car.

An average driver is maintaining < 0.3gs on a turn.  Enthusiastic drivers seem to be pulling maybe 0.4-0.5gs.  It's rare to find anyone that will hang with you at >0.8 g which almost any car these days can pull.

My record is 1.01 gs....
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

veeman

Quote from: r0tor on October 13, 2022, 06:52:41 AM
When I drive around with the g-meter up displayed on the Alfa you get a pretty clear indication of how little people actually understand the limits of an average modern car.

An average driver is maintaining < 0.3gs on a turn.  Enthusiastic drivers seem to be pulling maybe 0.4-0.5gs.  It's rare to find anyone that will hang with you at >0.8 g which almost any car these days can pull.

My record is 1.01 gs....

I agree however it's good the average driver doesn't get anywhere near those limits you are though.  Also those limits drop precipitously when it's wet outside and I wouldn't trust an average driver to understand that morning dew means the roads are damp.  Plus you probably do a quick check of all 4 tires daily.  Average driver doesn't. 

giant_mtb

Quote from: veeman on October 13, 2022, 08:32:39 AM
Plus you probably do a quick check of all 4 tires daily.  Average driver doesn't.

True that. I detailed a Subaru yesterday, the tires looked a bit low on air...sure enough they were all at around 17psi, so basically half of where they're supposed to be.

r0tor

Can you imagine how much better fuel economy could be had if average cars were designed around average drivers - a return of <200 width rubber and far less performance
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on October 13, 2022, 09:00:24 AM
Can you imagine how much better fuel economy could be had if average cars were designed around average drivers - a return of <200 width rubber and far less performance

No shit, but everyone wants their cars to look like Hot Wheels.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 13, 2022, 08:36:04 AM
True that. I detailed a Subaru yesterday, the tires looked a bit low on air...sure enough they were all at around 17psi, so basically half of where they're supposed to be.

:confused:
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: r0tor on October 13, 2022, 06:52:41 AM

My record is 1.01 gs....

I think the Torque app can measure lateral or acceleration Gs.  I should check it out!

The tires on Scrappy now are pretty cheap all-seasons. They're noticeably less corner confident than the almost-bald ones they replaced. :lol: Much less contact surface, as the old ones were still aired properly and worn evenly, almost like racing slicks.
Will