This Guy Has Put Over 670,000 Miles On His Porsche 911 Turbo

Started by cawimmer430, November 28, 2022, 09:45:11 AM

cawimmer430

This Guy Has Put Over 670,000 Miles On His Porsche 911 Turbo Proving That You Really Can Daily A Dream Car

Many of us here enjoy the sincere pleasure of piloting an automobile. But very few love driving their personal vehicle quite the same way that Tom Thalmann loves driving his Porsche 911 Turbo. Since new, he's put more than 676,000 miles (1,087,916 km) on it between daily driving it and tracking it over the years.

Porsche on its own is generally known for better reliability than some of its main rivals. The 911 is perhaps the flagship of that reliable reputation as it's often cited as one of the least likely to leave a person stranded. The 996 911 Turbo wasn't one of the cars that contributed to that standard though.

There are countless stories of owners of these cars with failing IMS bearings that ultimately destroy the engine. For Thalmann, those reports seem to be overblown as his engine has only ever come out of the car once in its long life, and even then it was for a preventative maintenance procedure more than anything.

When it came out he was originally intending to fix some oil leaks. As the mechanics took the engine apart they found that it was still in excellent shape. Despite that, they went to the trouble of overhauling a number of components. Thalmann's friend, Eric Kaul, broke down the pseudo-rebuild in a post shared on Apex Motorsport Facebook page.

"They removed the engine at 383,000 to fix minor oil leaks and replace turbos, decided to break it down to look at internals, there were maybe two bearings with very light shadowing, rest if the engine was flawless, it was not what we expected to find but were glad when we did! These engines are well built and well engineered. Every valve was mic'd and met factory spec in every dimension, couldn't believe it," he said.

That's a stunning result after years of daily driving such a high-performance machine. In case that wasn't impressive enough, he does that driving in the far Northeast where the weather isn't well-known for being kind to sports cars. Thalmann also tracks the car regularly and has no plans of getting rid of it. Let it never be said that you can't daily drive your heroes.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2022/11/this-guy-has-put-over-670000-miles-on-his-porsche-911-turbo-proving-that-you-really-can-daily-a-dream-car/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MrH

Well, 996 Turbos use a metzger engine.  There isn't any known IMS bearing issues with those.  They're rock solid engines.  Not sure I want to know how much the owner paid on maintenance and everything else :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CALL_911

If I were a rich man in the 90s, I'd do the same with an Acura NSX

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

giant_mtb

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 28, 2022, 04:27:31 PM
If I were a rich man in the 90s, I'd do the same with an Acura NSX

Except nobody would ever write an article about it because they wouldn't be terribly shocked by a well-maintained Honda lasting that long. :lol:

veeman

I wonder how many times he had to replace the clutch or even the whole transmission? 

Gotta-Qik-C7

I love the guys who aren't scared to actually DRIVE their sports cars!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide