Mechanic Stuff

Started by Eye of the Tiger, October 14, 2016, 03:00:10 PM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 18, 2016, 04:06:49 PM
Currently trying to save Yoter from its wheel bearings.  Dropped it off Sunday night but haven't heard a word from the shop. 

Makes me wish TRACKER still breathed. But it's basically a pile of broken parts and rust. Brakes are so powerful, it squeezes the fluid right out.

I did a front bearing on that other Trailblazir in about 20 minutes. Why does it take so long?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 18, 2016, 04:21:54 PM
I did a front bearing on that other Trailblazir in about 20 minutes. Why does it take so long?

Dunno. Maybe they're backed up. But if that's the case I dunno why they would've had me drop it off Sunday night if they weren't gonna be able to get to it for a couple days.  Not that I was gonna keep driving it anyways...the bearing really was that bad. Crunchety crunch crunch.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 18, 2016, 04:24:34 PM
Dunno. Maybe they're backed up. But if that's the case I dunno why they would've had me drop it off Sunday night if they weren't gonna be able to get to it for a couple days.  Not that I was gonna keep driving it anyways...the bearing really was that bad. Crunchety crunch crunch.

Moast mechanics are lazy liars. Most shops are run by poopbrains.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 18, 2016, 04:26:01 PM
Moast mechanics are lazy liars. Most shops are run by poopbrains.

I had good luck with the place last time.  But not so much this time.

As long as it gets done and gets done properly, IDRC.  Half of me wants to take it all apart when I get it back and make sure everything is anti-seized really good and all that shit so I can be the one to do work down the road.  But on the other hand the bearings should last me the rest of its life with me, so idc.

Eye of the Tiger

I worked on some BMW 328 today. I don't know what people are afraid of. It's basically like working on a Ford, except it actually makes sense.

2o6

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 18, 2016, 03:55:01 PM
This shop serves multiple used car dealerships. They get these things at auction for practically nothing. Many of them are repos. Apparently, Trailblubbers sell for stupid prices at dealerships.

With financing, probably.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 20, 2016, 09:55:08 PM
I worked on some BMW 328 today. I don't know what people are afraid of. It's basically like working on a Ford, except it actually makes sense.

Mechanics at BMW garages know magic, so they have to charge a lot more. So it's really expensive to maintain the car.
Will

Rupert

At least with Porsches, it's the parts more than the labor.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Eye of the Tiger

Another F-150 5.4L Triton with bad timing chain guides/tensioners.
Looks like it was so bad that the chain wore through the timing cover.
Rather than fix the loose chain, the previous owner used some kind of epoxy goop to cover up the hole. But then another hole appeared!

I love working on this shit.

giant_mtb

Wowza.  You've gotta be pretty desperate to just epoxy a hole like that. 

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 25, 2016, 07:35:34 PM
Wowza.  You've gotta be pretty desperate to just epoxy a hole like that.

A shit ton of oil slings off of that chain. People are good mechanics. :muffin:

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 25, 2016, 07:39:01 PM
A shit ton of oil slings off of that chain. People are good mechanics. :muffin:

Mexicans r good mechanix. 

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 25, 2016, 07:39:36 PM
Mexicans r good mechanix.

That epoxy is actually one part queso, and one part refried beans. Once heated, it hardens and is impossible to remove from any metal surface.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 25, 2016, 07:42:45 PM
That epoxy is actually one part queso, and one part refried beans. Once heated, it hardens and is impossible to remove from any metal surface.

Like a radiator egg!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 25, 2016, 07:43:40 PM
Like a radiator egg!

I know MacGyver can do the egg, but I prefer a new radiator, or JB Water Weld in a pinch.

Eye of the Tiger

I spend all day finishing the timing chains on this F-150, then when I go to start it the fucking fuel pump won't run. Piece of crap.

AutobahnSHO

LOL I've changed two Ford fuel pumps. One paid for, on the SHO I did it myself. I can't figure out why Ford still keeps using crappy fuel pumps.
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Fuel pump runs after banging on the tank with a rubber mallet (it's way easier than changing the fuel pump).
But the shit don't have good pressure between injector pulses.
Will try changing the filter.

shp4man

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 27, 2016, 09:59:06 AM
Fuel pump runs after banging on the tank with a rubber mallet (it's way easier than changing the fuel pump).

Does the vehicle have a shitload of miles? Probably needs a pump.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on October 27, 2016, 10:26:25 AM
Does the vehicle have a shitload of miles? Probably needs a pump.

Over 200K.
Pressure hits 70-80 PSI when it primes, then drops to 40-50 when the injectors fire.

Payman

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 27, 2016, 09:59:06 AM

You need to liquify the internal crud so it clears out. A blowtorch should do the trick.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 27, 2016, 08:50:51 AM
LOL I've changed two Ford fuel pumps. One paid for, on the SHO I did it myself. I can't figure out why Ford still keeps using crappy fuel pumps.

Running low on gas is terrible for fuel pumps and kills them pretty quickly. I've talked with an aftermarket supplier and he said that if the pump runs dry for a second or two, it'll shorten the pump life by 1/2. If it's dry for 5-6 seconds, it's dead. OEM pumps might be able to handle it a bit better, but that's a big reason for filling up the gas tank when it gets to 1/4. Under that, and sharp corners can slosh the fuel around and away from the pickup.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 27, 2016, 12:08:24 PM
Running low on gas is terrible for fuel pumps and kills them pretty quickly. I've talked with an aftermarket supplier and he said that if the pump runs dry for a second or two, it'll shorten the pump life by 1/2. If it's dry for 5-6 seconds, it's dead. OEM pumps might be able to handle it a bit better, but that's a big reason for filling up the gas tank when it gets to 1/4. Under that, and sharp corners can slosh the fuel around and away from the pickup.

It's ridiculous to me that something that would overheat that quickly is always bathed in a tub of highly flammable liquid.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

shp4man

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 27, 2016, 10:40:22 AM
Over 200K.
Pressure hits 70-80 PSI when it primes, then drops to 40-50 when the injectors fire.

Normal.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on October 27, 2016, 01:48:19 PM
Normal.

Junk.
Turns out all the spark plugs got fouled somewhere in between when I first pulled a plug and found it clean and dry, and fixing the fuel pump. If you know about the plugs on these 5.4s, you know they are basically just $20 pieces of shit.
Anyway, I changed the plugs and it runs. But both valve covers are leaking oil. And if you know anything about the valve cover gaskets on these 5.4s, you know they are basically $20 rings of shit.

shp4man

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 27, 2016, 03:49:51 PM
Junk.
Turns out all the spark plugs got fouled somewhere in between when I first pulled a plug and found it clean and dry, and fixing the fuel pump. If you know about the plugs on these 5.4s, you know they are basically just $20 pieces of shit.
Anyway, I changed the plugs and it runs. But both valve covers are leaking oil. And if you know anything about the valve cover gaskets on these 5.4s, you know they are basically $20 rings of shit.

Normal.  ;)

shp4man

Wanna hear my sob story for the day? No? Well here it is anyway. A rusty, rode hard and put away wet, hillbilly owned, 16 year old, 135,000 mile Windstar from out of state needs to pass a smog test for California plates. It's a real pile, with a leaking intake manifold, dead oxygen sensor, bad fuel injector...So hillbilly owner takes it to hillbilly/tweaker mechanic- he fucks it all up, gives up and says "take it to the dealer, I can't fix it". Every time I take something apart, I find another surprise.
Well, it's up to $2K on the repairs so far, and I've spent way more time on it than I can flag for the job. It's difficult to know the full extent of the stupidity of some so called "mechanics".
And now, it's all MY fault!  :lockedup: :rage:
Welcome to my life.  ;)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on October 27, 2016, 05:26:33 PM
Wanna hear my sob story for the day? No? Well here it is anyway. A rusty, rode hard and put away wet, hillbilly owned, 16 year old, 135,000 mile Windstar from out of state needs to pass a smog test for California plates. It's a real pile, with a leaking intake manifold, dead oxygen sensor, bad fuel injector...So hillbilly owner takes it to hillbilly/tweaker mechanic- he fucks it all up, gives up and says "take it to the dealer, I can't fix it". Every time I take something apart, I find another surprise.
Well, it's up to $2K on the repairs so far, and I've spent way more time on it than I can flag for the job. It's difficult to know the full extent of the stupidity of some so called "mechanics".
And now, it's all MY fault!  :lockedup: :rage:
Welcome to my life.  ;)

Normal :huh:

Eye of the Tiger

Aaaand, after replacing the valve cover gaskets and letting it run to check for leaks, it suddenly lost oil pressure and made some beautiful noises. I dropped the oil pan to find the remnants of the previous timing chain guides, and random chunks of aluminum clogging the oil pickup. This truck is like herpes.