Mechanic Stuff

Started by Eye of the Tiger, October 14, 2016, 03:00:10 PM

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 29, 2020, 03:52:46 PM
I got the engine out today, but then realized the replacement engine was a port-injected LY7(?) 3.6 from a base mod CTS, but this CTS has the optional-for-2009 dirext-injection LLT(?) 3.6.

Flippin flapjacks!  :lockedup:
Does it still fit and would they know the difference?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 29, 2020, 03:55:45 PM
Does it still fit and would they know the difference?

The ECM programming and fuel injection wiring would be totally different. We are ordering another engine
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

"Hey, check this Tahoe ... motor's got a tick and the oil pressure is readin low."

And I spent the last three hours scraping sludge out of the oil pan, windage tray, and etc.

shp4man

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 10, 2020, 01:54:22 PM
"Hey, check this Tahoe ... motor's got a tick and the oil pressure is readin low."

And I spent the last three hours scraping sludge out of the oil pan, windage tray, and etc.

That has the look of death about it.  ;)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on February 10, 2020, 02:18:25 PM
That has the look of death about it.  ;)

Cleaning the pan brought the oil pressure back up.
I also replaced 8 clogged up pushrods that had worn almost flat on the tips. That got rid of the tick.
It is now ready to be sold for $13,995, buy here, pay here!

Eye of the Tiger

How do you know when it's time to change the timing chains on a GM 2.4 Ecotec? Easy! The timing chain life indicator line will appear on the valve cover:

and this 2011 Regal only had 93K on it

shp4man

AutobahnSHO

Will

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 21, 2020, 07:21:09 AM
How do you know when it's time to change the timing chains on a GM 2.4 Ecotec? Easy! The timing chain life indicator line will appear on the valve cover:

and this 2011 Regal only had 93K on it
I thought Buick was considered the 2nd most reliable brand. :huh:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 23, 2020, 08:15:46 AM
I thought Buick was considered the 2nd most reliable brand. :huh:

The 3800 V6 was dead reliable

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 25, 2020, 09:20:23 AM
The 3800 V6 was dead reliable
I always did like Buick, especially the old Fireball V8.

Eye of the Tiger

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Eye of the Tiger

Mechanic job is going great. Tons of work, no waiting for parts, and I can tie up 2-3 bays without anyone questioning me. I keep getting thrown huge jobs and small jobs all at once, and it doesn't even bother me. More!

MrH

LAND is going to turn into Nick's personal amusement park soon.  Ferris wheel, jalopies all over the place.  Tons of dogs.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Eye of the Tiger

Replacing a tranny in an 18 y/o Avalon ... why bother. Kind of a pain. Brittle plactic everywhere.

Eye of the Tiger

Avalon,
Avalon,
Tranny is in the Avalon.

shp4man

People are wacky. One of my jobs is a POS 99 Sable, worth maybe $800. Needs about $3K in repairs. I told the guy to donate it or sell it to a junkyard.
Nope.....fix it. Jesus.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on February 28, 2020, 08:01:13 AM
People are wacky. One of my jobs is a POS 99 Sable, worth maybe $800. Needs about $3K in repairs. I told the guy to donate it or sell it to a junkyard.
Nope.....fix it. Jesus.

It's not like this is even a nice 03 Avalon. I would call it "cosmetically challenged".

And it badly needs valvecover gaskets.

Eye of the Tiger

I lost my ass today diagnosing a crank/no start on a stupid Murano. The anti-theft light was on steady, so I assumed it wasn't reading the key. 5 hours later, the other mechanic looks at it, tightens the battery terminals, and starts it right up. Fuck Nissans.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 02, 2020, 05:28:37 PM
I lost my ass today diagnosing a crank/no start on a stupid Murano. The anti-theft light was on steady, so I assumed it wasn't reading the key. 5 hours later, the other mechanic looks at it, tightens the battery terminals, and starts it right up. Fuck Nissans.
It's always useful to learn something new. :ohyeah:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 02, 2020, 06:35:50 PM
It's always useful to learn something new. :ohyeah:

I still don't understand.

Eye of the Tiger

I ordered some 8-inch, knobby casters for my service cart. All-terrain. Oh, a pile of oil-dry? No biggie. Oh, an air hose? No problem. A rusty water pump? Didn't even feel it.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 02, 2020, 08:04:45 PM
I still don't understand.

Probably a CAN-bus issue. Slightly lower voltage had some nodes faulting out, tightening the battery posts reduced voltage drop, and they came on line.

New cars are stupid.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 03, 2020, 01:29:39 PM
Probably a CAN-bus issue. Slightly lower voltage had some nodes faulting out, tightening the battery posts reduced voltage drop, and they came on line.

New cars are stupid.

CAN-bus? More like CAN'T-bus! :popcorn:

shp4man

If the voltage on networked systems goes below 9 volts, all kinds of crazy shit happens. On a hybrid car, the damn thing will quit running.  We're talkin tow in here.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on March 03, 2020, 06:29:07 PM
If the voltage on networked systems goes below 9 volts, all kinds of crazy shit happens. On a hybrid car, the damn thing will quit running.  We're talkin tow in here.

Yeah, I get that, but the starter cranked normally, and the ECM read 12+ volts via the scanner.

Somehow, I think one cable on the positive battery terminal/series of fuses was just looser than the others.

It's good now. I mean, as far as starting the engine.
I found $1700 of other work that it needs.

Eye of the Tiger

Some lady brings a truck in to diagnose a coolant leak.
I find two leaks, and fix one in the process.
After she drinks several cups of free coffee, I turn in my list of required repairs, and she refuses to pay for anything because she only wanted an estimate. Bitch, it's $50 just for the diag, and I only get 0.5 flat rate hours for that.
Bitch raises hell and gets out without paying.

Being a mechanic is kind of a shit deal.
But I like doing the work.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 07, 2020, 05:13:53 PM
Some lady brings a truck in to diagnose a coolant leak.
I find two leaks, and fix one in the process.
After she drinks several cups of free coffee, I turn in my list of required repairs, and she refuses to pay for anything because she only wanted an estimate. Bitch, it's $50 just for the diag, and I only get 0.5 flat rate hours for that.
Bitch raises hell and gets out without paying.

Being a mechanic is kind of a shit deal.
But I like doing the work.
Are they told up front that they've got to pay for the diagnosis?