Mechanic Stuff

Started by Eye of the Tiger, October 14, 2016, 03:00:10 PM

Eye of the Tiger

So I had to do a half rebuild on a 4L65E today because it lost second and fourth gears ... but I kept getting pulled away for check engine lights/AC checks/covfefe brake inspections/etc. I got the valve body off to check it and modified the 2-4 servo piston pin by adding 0.16" to the tip with my welder and grinding the tip to the proper shape to make up for the worn 2-4 band, but when I finally got it back together it didn't have reverse. Now I know exactly what I did, and I just have to drop the pan and swap a couple of bolts, but god fucking damn it if I could just finish the transmission work without all the bullshit walk-in customers wanting their stupid check engine lights turned off ... then I would have done it right the first time.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

I've seen 2 cars the last week that had the front right wheel wobbling so bad I could see it from directly behind them and the rear wheel hiding it some. :confused:
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 16, 2020, 04:42:02 PM
I've seen 2 cars the last week that had the front right wheel wobbling so bad I could see it from directly behind them and the rear wheel hiding it some. :confused:

Are you in SC yet? That sounds like SC. :lol:

AutobahnSHO

Will

Eye of the Tiger

I found a check ball on the floor.
Fuck.

Eye of the Tiger

I am going to just start rebuilding 4L60E transmissions in my living room to make extra money.

Eye of the Tiger

4 banger Camry: "Makes grinding noise when turning and accelerating"

Good description. I can work with that.
Add 4 quarts of oil. It's quiet now.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

shp4man

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 19, 2020, 01:24:08 PM
4 banger Camry: "Makes grinding noise when turning and accelerating"

Good description. I can work with that.
Add 4 quarts of oil. It's quiet now.

Lol.

Eye of the Tiger

I bought myself a consolation prize for 2020.
A Snap On 1/4" ratchet. Butter, baby.
Got a free T-shirt, too. :lol:

AutobahnSHO

?? How much does a ratchet cost????????  :confused:   Did it come with the sockets too?
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 29, 2020, 06:09:11 AM
?? How much does a ratchet cost????????  :confused:   Did it come with the sockets too?

Just over $100. Just a 1/4" ratchet. :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Did I mention the free T-shirt? :lol:

AutobahnSHO

whut :confused:

That's an expensive t-shirt!!!
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 30, 2020, 10:15:59 AM
whut :confused:

That's an expensive t-shirt!!!

Snap-on man.

To be honest, the 1/4" ratchet in most brands sucks.

Maybe the Snap-On is worth it.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 30, 2020, 11:07:47 AM
Snap-on man.

To be honest, the 1/4" ratchet in most brands sucks.

Maybe the Snap-On is worth it.

I have broken so many 1/4" ratchets. Yes, it is worth it.
It has a lifetime warranty, and the ratchet mechanism is even user serviceable if the tool guy goes AWOL.

And did I mention the butter? There is nothing else like it.

Eye of the Tiger

My second best 1/4" ratchet is a Gearwrench 120XP, but it is a short handle, 5" long. Very good for the money ... ~ $65 with a full set of sockets and extensions.

The Snap-On is a medium length, 6.5" long, which is better for working under the hood.

https://shop.snapon.com/product/Dual-80-Technology-Ratchets/1-4%22-Drive-Dual-80-Technology-Long-Handle-Ratchet/TL72

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 30, 2020, 11:24:49 AM
My second best 1/4" ratchet is a Gearwrench 120XP, but it is a short handle, 5" long. Very good for the money ... ~ $65 with a full set of sockets and extensions.

The Snap-On is a medium length, 6.5" long, which is better for working under the hood.

https://shop.snapon.com/product/Dual-80-Technology-Ratchets/1-4%22-Drive-Dual-80-Technology-Long-Handle-Ratchet/TL72
Made in the USA?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

I think Gearwrench is a US brand made in Taiwan. I have a ton of their stuff.

CaminoRacer

I don't currently have a 1/4" ratchet. I've thought about buying one, but honestly I don't see the point. I have a 3/8" to 1/4" adapter if I really need it.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 31, 2020, 09:29:00 AM
I don't currently have a 1/4" ratchet. I've thought about buying one, but honestly I don't see the point. I have a 3/8" to 1/4" adapter if I really need it.

Sometimes you need dat tiny schit in these cramped injun baze.

r0tor

I luckily bought like a 500 whatever piece tool kit from craftsman for like $150 like 13 years ago before they became Chinese shit... Has served me well over the years.

With the Alfa I have had to buy torx and head head sockets to do pretty much anything on the car.  After buying a couple trashy sets I found gearwrench is decent.

When I worked at ExxonMobil during college they were stacked with snap-on tools... Totally worth the exorbitant price.  There are also slot of discounts floating out there for snap-on stuff when you get to know the right people.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

I can't stop acquiring tools. I needs them.

Eye of the Tiger

Shall we talk about 3/8" ratchet handles, next?

Eye of the Tiger

3/8" ratchets in my work tool box:

Matco BR10STA, 100-tooth, round swivel head, quick release, 10" handle, USA. I use this one the most.

Kobalt 22316,  36-tooth but very strong, compact teardrop head, quick release, 7" square handle, USA. (this is very much like a old Craftsman ratchet)

Tekton SRH01108, 90-tooth, compact teardrop head, no quick release, 8" handle, Taiwan.

AutobahnSHO

I bought a wiper motor and returned it after it fried and shop replaced it again (and also sealed up where the water was getting in.

Got store credit- saw ratchet endwrenches on sale and got some. Always wanted them, haven't had much chance to use them since (Just this spring).

Will

AutobahnSHO

BTW I managed to do front pads/ rotors on Puma Saturday in about an hour of actual work time (plus signing in to the shop, getting guided onto lift, cleanup).
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 31, 2020, 08:35:33 PM
I bought a wiper motor and returned it after it fried and shop replaced it again (and also sealed up where the water was getting in.

Got store credit- saw ratchet endwrenches on sale and got some. Always wanted them, haven't had much chance to use them since (Just this spring).

New toolz :wub: