GMC Hummer EV

Started by giant_mtb, February 01, 2020, 09:19:24 AM

giant_mtb

https://www.gmc.com/electric-truck/hummer-ev

So much for the Cyberfu...truck.  :violin:

But honestly, I am curious to see this thing.

Eye of the Tiger

11,500 torks? What in the wide wide world of sports?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 01, 2020, 10:12:31 AM
11,500 torks? What in the wide wide world of sports?

"wheel torque." Not, at the output shaft. Different ratios make this irrelevant.

Compare to say, an F-350 with 860 pounding feets. 3.97:1 first gear, 2.69:1 low range, 4.11 final drive- Torque at the wheel hub is something like 35,000 lb-ft.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 01, 2020, 11:14:25 AM
"wheel torque." Not, at the output shaft. Different ratios make this irrelevant.

Compare to say, an F-350 with 860 pounding feets. 3.97:1 first gear, 2.69:1 low range, 4.11 final drive- Torque at the wheel hub is something like 35,000 lb-ft.

Yeah, I figured it had to be. That is some marketing bull schite.

Eye of the Tiger

Although, now that I think about it, everyone should market maximum wheel torque, rather than crankshaft.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 01, 2020, 12:38:19 PM
Although, now that I think about it, everyone should market maximum wheel torque, rather than crankshaft.

There was a really dumb Reddit thread that said people shouldn't talk about crank hp, only wheel hp. Apparently if you tune your ecu you now have to claim that your 300 hp factory rated engine only makes 280 (whp) to appease that guy

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 01, 2020, 01:50:44 PM
There was a really dumb Reddit thread that said people shouldn't talk about crank hp, only wheel hp. Apparently if you tune your ecu you now have to claim that your 300 hp factory rated engine only makes 280 (whp) to appease that guy

Sounds legit to me.  :cheers:

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

veeman

Dang GM is going all in on this Hummer EV thing. Lebron James is the spokesperson. 

OK so 1 or 2 years from now, you have $75 grand to burn and you are deciding between the top model Tesla Cybertruck or the GMC Hummer EV.  They both haul ass, have some off-road ability, and tow heavy stuff.  The Tesla looks super weird, is fairly reliable, has good customer service and you don't deal with a dealership.  You get a lot of updates to it's software automatically.  It's self driving is most advanced and it's got the most super chargers out there.  The GMC looks more like a normal pickup, is pretty reliable, has OK customer service, you buy it and service it at a dealership.  You don't get very many updates to its software.

Very interesting battle.

WookieOnRitalin

This is awesome because of the irony.

The Hummer was considered the ultimate expression of fuel inefficiency and was one of the most hated vehicles amongst "green" people.

Now, it's turning into an ecofriendly vehicle. Let's see those treehuggers behind the wheel of a Hummer now!
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

giant_mtb

Quote from: veeman on February 03, 2020, 08:11:04 PM
Dang GM is going all in on this Hummer EV thing. Lebron James is the spokesperson. 

OK so 1 or 2 years from now, you have $75 grand to burn and you are deciding between the top model Tesla Cybertruck or the GMC Hummer EV.  They both haul ass, have some off-road ability, and tow heavy stuff.  The Tesla looks super weird, is fairly reliable, has good customer service and you don't deal with a dealership.  You get a lot of updates to it's software automatically.  It's self driving is most advanced and it's got the most super chargers out there.  The GMC looks more like a normal pickup, is pretty reliable, has OK customer service, you buy it and service it at a dealership.  You don't get very many updates to its software.

Very interesting battle.

You sure seem to know a lot about two vehicles that aren't even in production yet.

veeman

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 03, 2020, 08:22:33 PM
You sure seem to know a lot about two vehicles that aren't even in production yet.

Well last I checked this is a forum where typically people give opinions.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on February 03, 2020, 08:19:51 PM
This is awesome because of the irony.

The Hummer was considered the ultimate expression of fuel inefficiency and was one of the most hated vehicles amongst "green" people.

Now, it's turning into an ecofriendly vehicle. Let's see those treehuggers behind the wheel of a Hummer now!

Its an interesting choice to be sure. I can understand them wanting the electric line not to be Chevy/GMC; but to go straight to the mall ninja clown cars is a bit weird, especially considering they could just as easily dust off the Saturn name.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

NomisR

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 04, 2020, 03:23:58 AM
Its an interesting choice to be sure. I can understand them wanting the electric line not to be Chevy/GMC; but to go straight to the mall ninja clown cars is a bit weird, especially considering they could just as easily dust off the Saturn name.

Saturn just evokes the image of Plasticar ™

veeman

They could call it the GMC Saturn. 

If they style it right, which they probably will, I like this new truck and I like the Hummer branding.  I can totally see this thing being used to daily drop off the rugrats to school in Cougs neighborhood.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 04, 2020, 03:23:58 AM

I think it makes a lot of sense considering the competitors. Neo-retro Tron/Blade Runner stuff is in right now and this Hummer looks like it's following that path.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 04, 2020, 10:09:58 AM
I think it makes a lot of sense considering the competitors. Neo-retro Tron/Blade Runner stuff is in right now and this Hummer looks like it's following that path.

I don't think its a good long term strategy to chase fads set by competitors.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 04, 2020, 10:31:57 AM
I don't think its a good long term strategy to chase fads set by competitors.

:huh:

SUVs are in. EVs are in. It doesn't look like that's gonna change anytime soon (at least not within the next product cycle), so why wouldn't they go after it? Even if the styling trends change, as long as the basic platform is still relevant they can just restyle it.

NomisR

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 04, 2020, 10:55:41 AM
:huh:

SUVs are in. EVs are in. It doesn't look like that's gonna change anytime soon (at least not within the next product cycle), so why wouldn't they go after it? Even if the styling trends change, as long as the basic platform is still relevant they can just restyle it.

EVs are pretty modular, in the end, they can just restyle and throw up bigger better screen with UI in the middle and you have a new car with little cost.  What I don't understand is what does LeBron have to do with this?

giant_mtb

Quote from: NomisR on February 04, 2020, 11:03:36 AM
EVs are pretty modular, in the end, they can just restyle and throw up bigger better screen with UI in the middle and you have a new car with little cost.  What I don't understand is what does LeBron have to do with this?

Apparently he owned a Hummer in the past. And they put him in a Super Bowl ad for it.

Speed_Racer

Probably a good play to get a more conservative crowd interested in EVs, too?

Laconian

Quote from: Speed_Racer on February 04, 2020, 12:20:30 PM
Probably a good play to get a more conservative crowd interested in EVs, too?

The asshole crowd, maybe - the Hummer H2s I saw were frequently the double parkers, the aggressive tailgaters, the early mergers.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on February 04, 2020, 01:11:13 PM
The asshole crowd, maybe - the Hummer H2s I saw were frequently the double parkers, the aggressive tailgaters, the early mergers.

This.

I have nothing but negative associations with the Hummer brand. I can understand them wanting their EV truck to be perceived as "tough," but I never thought of Hummers as tough- with the exception of the "real" H1, which was maybe 5% of their sales.  I thought of them as goofy wannabe gear driven by jackasses.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 04, 2020, 11:33:05 AM
Apparently he owned a Hummer in the past. And they put him in a Super Bowl ad for it.
His first vehicle was an H2.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Laconian

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 04, 2020, 01:41:20 PM
This.

I have nothing but negative associations with the Hummer brand. I can understand them wanting their EV truck to be perceived as "tough," but I never thought of Hummers as tough- with the exception of the "real" H1, which was maybe 5% of their sales.  I thought of them as goofy wannabe gear driven by jackasses.

Now that all full size pickups cater heavily to the micropeen set, Hummer will have to up its game and make a truck that's even more sociopathic.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on February 04, 2020, 02:13:06 PM
Now that all full size pickups cater heavily to the micropeen set, Hummer will have to up its game and make a truck that's even more sociopathic.

Like with 1000 hp

Laconian

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 04, 2020, 02:37:01 PM
Like with 1000 hp

Now that it's 2020, we can use adaptive cruise to stay mere millimeters from the bumper of the car in front.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on February 04, 2020, 02:40:11 PM
Now that it's 2020, we can use adaptive cruise to stay mere millimeters from the bumper of the car in front.

Every rear view mirror will say HUMMER by the end of the year.

veeman

A vehicle this large and heavy with a 0-60 run of 3 sec.  Nasty crashes are going to happen more frequently.  In 5 years I can see the govt limiting acceleration times for electric vehicles of a certain size and weight.