New(ish) Truck Day

Started by Speed_Racer, November 23, 2020, 10:47:06 AM

Speed_Racer

Since my GF replaced her Mazda3 hatch with the company Corolla, I've been shopping for something more versatile to replace my Kizashi. Two similarly-sized sedans isn't ideal. Requirements were: A swiss-army knife that would suit me for the next 8-10 years - AWD/4WD, room for variations of people/dog/payload, tows approx 5k lbs. After tons of research, I narrowed it down to a truck and after some test drives settled on the F-150.

En route to an AirBNB GF & I are staying at for Thanksgiving I detoured to view a 2015 F-150 I bookmarked in Idaho Falls. It looked like a good deal in the ad but had limited pics and info, but it was priced a few grand cheaper than similar models in SLC. However in person it was in better condition than the pics suggested. It's an imported Canadian lease return, appears to have been exceptionally maintained. It also has the highest options package which wasn't mentioned in the ad, so it went from being a good price to a great price. I couldn't find anything wrong with it so I negotiated a little off to cover tires next year and signed.

2015 Lariat w/ 3.5L ecoboost, 502a + max tow. Nearly every available feature & option. It's a sweet ride. Arlo approves :ohyeah:

RomanChariot

That's a nice truck. There are a lot of Canadian trucks floating around. If I could have found a 6 passenger, 6.5 foot bed, ecoboost with max tow package combination for a good price when I was looking I would have jumped on it instead of getting an older F-250.

FoMoJo

Good choice.  Is that the aluminum version?  Don't remember when they switched.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

shp4man

These were pretty good trucks, but the Ecoboost engine can be hard on spark plugs. Every 60K is a good idea, especially if the truck has been worked.

Laconian

What's the towing capacity on that? How much did you pay? My dad has been looking for RV tow trucks but he's mentally fixated on RAM+Cummins.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Speed_Racer

Quote from: RomanChariot on November 23, 2020, 10:57:50 AM
That's a nice truck. There are a lot of Canadian trucks floating around. If I could have found a 6 passenger, 6.5 foot bed, ecoboost with max tow package combination for a good price when I was looking I would have jumped on it instead of getting an older F-250.
I saw so many being listed and was originally iffy on it, but as long as the importer swaps & reprograms the gauges to MPH and there's no rust, you're usually ok. The only ways I can tell this one is Canadian are the pigtail block heater up front hah and the digital speedo defaults to KM/h everytime I drive it. I think that's a simple ECU reflash to fix it.

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 23, 2020, 11:03:35 AM
Good choice.  Is that the aluminum version?  Don't remember when they switched.
Yes, 2015 was the first year of the new style with the aluminum body

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C7 on November 23, 2020, 11:10:56 AM
Nice! What color is that?
"Bronze Fire", it's this copper burgandy blend. I'd only ever seen it used on the King Ranch w/ a tan two tone. It should look sharp after I do a buff & polish.

Quote from: shp4man on November 23, 2020, 11:21:35 AM
These were pretty good trucks, but the Ecoboost engine can be hard on spark plugs. Every 60K is a good idea, especially if the truck has been worked.
Thanks for the tip, it just turned 60k so I'll swap those out when I get home.

Quote from: Laconian on November 23, 2020, 11:24:41 AM
What's the towing capacity on that? How much did you pay? My dad has been looking for RV tow trucks but he's mentally fixated on RAM+Cummins.
This one has the max tow pkg & 3.55 rear end, so in this configuration it's rated for ~11,500 lbs towing and 2,000 lbs payload. Ridiculous numbers.
I paid $31.7k OTD.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

Nice!!!! 

I hope to be in that market someday the next 3-7 years. :)   I am thinking about a small camp trailer.

Is that a GIANT sunroof???? I would love that if it is!
Will

RomanChariot

The weight savings from the aluminum body increased the payload capacity by 400-500 pounds. On the previous steel body model the towing capability was severely restricted by its limited payload capacity. I have heard really good things about towing with the Ecoboost.

Speed_Racer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 23, 2020, 04:26:46 PM
Nice!!!! 

I hope to be in that market someday the next 3-7 years. :)   I am thinking about a small camp trailer.

Is that a GIANT sunroof???? I would love that if it is!

Keep your eyes peeled in the next few years! Most everywhere is sold out of trailers because of COVID, and we're hoping that in a year or two there will be a bunch of small ones on the used market as people size-up for their kids, etc.

And yesss, it's a ginormous sunroof. Glass from front to back, though only the front half opens. It still makes for a really open interior though, I was hoping to find one with it included.

AutobahnSHO

Awesome! I really love the little one in Odyssey. We close it when it's way too sunny but I like the sky.
Will

Speed_Racer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 24, 2020, 04:27:52 PM
Awesome! I really love the little one in Odyssey. We close it when it's way too sunny but I like the sky.

Hence the Miata!

Raza

Nice truck.

More dog pics, please.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Speed_Racer

Quote from: Raza  on November 25, 2020, 09:34:55 AM
Nice truck.

More dog pics, please.

Good thing I have a million of those:

AutobahnSHO

haha We've talked about getting a dog. So much fun. So much work!
Will

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 26, 2020, 08:02:13 AM

worth it worth it worth it

FoMoJo

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 26, 2020, 08:02:13 AM
You're property seems ideally located for a dog or two.  Lots of yard and trails.  Just don't get a little yappy one.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Speed_Racer

If you grab a shelter dog, you can skip the cute but frustrating puppy stage. Or just go straight to the calm senior dog.

CaminoRacer

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Speed_Racer on November 26, 2020, 10:27:31 AM
If you grab a shelter dog, you can skip the cute but frustrating puppy stage. Or just go straight to the calm senior dog.

I skipped the kitten phase with my cat. But he's in his terrible twos so still a bit mischievous.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 26, 2020, 11:30:55 AM
I skipped the kitten phase with my cat. But he's in his terrible twos so still a bit mischievous.

My first shelter dog was super "cool" when I adopted him. It turns out he was nearly dead from heartworm.
Now he is healthy, and a perpetual puppy.   :huh: :wub:

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 26, 2020, 11:30:55 AM
Cats usually go from frisky and mischievous to just plain grumpy.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 26, 2020, 09:57:03 AM
You're property seems ideally located for a dog or two.  Lots of yard and trails.  Just don't get a little yappy one.

Yup!!  Just don't think the cats would appreciate a new family member LOL.

Someday when we go RVing
cats < dogs
Will

FoMoJo

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 26, 2020, 03:58:02 PM
Yup!!  Just don't think the cats would appreciate a new family member LOL.

Someday when we go RVing
cats < dogs
Cats go crazy for awhile if a new pet enters the household, especially another cat.  They eventually calm down though.  I don't think they're bothered as much by a dog, though a dog might think it's fun to terrorize the cat, until they get their nose slashed a few times.  Just going by personal experience though.

Morris Minor

Congratulations. Great truck. Lovely doggiepooch.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

Speed_Racer

On the drive back from Idaho I averaged ~21-22mpg, which surpasses my expectations.

Laconian

On winter gas? That's pretty good!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT