My new truck!

Started by SVT_Power, March 09, 2021, 01:57:17 PM

Payman

Quote from: shp4man on March 12, 2021, 09:40:36 AM
It's called "adaptive strategy". The ECM records the way a person drives and adapts to that style.

That doesn't make sense. If a guy buys a 'Vette and granny-drives it for the first few months to break it in, is he not going to get 100% from the car when he goes to the track?

shp4man

Quote from: Rockraven on March 12, 2021, 10:13:44 AM
That doesn't make sense. If a guy buys a 'Vette and granny-drives it for the first few months to break it in, is he not going to get 100% from the car when he goes to the track?

I would think that vehicle is programmed towards performance more than some others. But ya, probably. Some performance cars have settings for it, as you know.

MX793

Quote from: shp4man on March 12, 2021, 08:41:48 AM
Some customers get fixated on some little perceived issue with a new vehicle. Happens all the time, I've dealt with many.
The computer that runs the powertrain needs to learn how you drive and how to adjust idle speed and trans shifting.
Give it a while.
Fords aren't perfect either. No manufacturers are perfect .

Given that it's pretty widely documented by owners who report that it doesn't just go away on its own, it probably isn't the adaptive ECU.  Though adaptive ECU can lead to some interesting behavior, particularly as it pertains to transmission shift logic.  I know a co-worker wasn't happy with the shift quality on his new Ranger out of the box, but it sorted itself out after a few hundred miles.  I'm not aware of this causing engine stutter, misfires, etc.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

Quote from: shp4man on March 12, 2021, 09:40:36 AM
It's called "adaptive strategy". The ECM records the way a person drives and adapts to that style.

I really doubt that flashing warning lights is part of the adaptive strategy logic.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

shp4man

Quote from: Laconian on March 12, 2021, 10:33:53 AM
I really doubt that flashing warning lights is part of the adaptive strategy logic.

"Flashing" an automotive electronic module is the same as "reprogramming".

Laconian

Quote from: shp4man on March 12, 2021, 10:38:11 AM
"Flashing" an automotive electronic module is the same as "reprogramming".

Non sequiter! "Blinking warning lights" then. ;)

The car is most certainly not reflashing its EEPROM while it's driving.

shp4man

Quote from: SVT_Power on March 11, 2021, 08:09:46 AM
Update:

So I thought this truck would be pretty much bulletproof considering it's FCA's bread and butter. Apparently not. FCA gonn' FCA apparently.

I've been encountering a weird intermittent stuttering issue pretty much once or twice everyday after getting the truck home. It seems to be documented on the Ram forums to be a known issue, and the only solution (if you can call it that) seems to be flashing the PCM/TCM/DTCM for older builds and praying. So I had the local dealer do exactly that a couple of days ago. Made it a day before the issue happened again. Called the dealer again today, they said they're gonna do some research through their internal system and see if they can diagnose it.

Pretty fucking disheartening, considering I haven't even hit 500km with it yet.

He was talking about flashing the PCM.

Laconian

God dammit, reading comprehension failure, sorry. I thought it was flashing warning lights while it was stuttering.

SVT_Power

Just reached out to a couple of local Ford dealers and had them give me a number on the truck as a trade in.

As expected, it's pretty damn close to what I paid. Gonna have to sit down and think real hard about this one. I know the saying is devil you know beats the devil you don't, but this is just not the start to a new vehicle that I would've liked. And I know the new rams are supposedly pretty reliable, but this is already making me fear FCA.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SVT_Power

Quote from: r0tor on March 13, 2021, 08:11:25 AM
Ram is a better truck

I think so as well (thus I bought one :lol:)

Even after the 2021 update for the F150, the ram still rides better and has a better interior. I think those two are among the most important categories for me in this segment.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT_Power

So I've now had 2 consecutive days of no hiccups. I'm not 100% convinced it's completely gone but obviously I can't prove something that's not happening right now.

I think my plan here might be try to get the original dealer that sold me the truck to throw in an extended warranty for some peace of mind. Gonna have a phone call with them this afternoon, so we'll see what happens.

Soup DeVille

Rams (and Dodges) have never been "the better truck." They've been the easier to buy truck, and occasionally they've had editions that have been the most powerful or the highest capacity trucks, but they've never been; cooking grade normal truck to normal truck: the longest lasting or the most reliable trucks.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

shp4man

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 13, 2021, 10:15:01 AM
Rams (and Dodges) have never been "the better truck." They've been the easier to buy truck, and occasionally they've had editions that have been the most powerful or the highest capacity trucks, but they've never been; cooking grade normal truck to normal truck: the longest lasting or the most reliable trucks.

And now, you've made a statement which is debated endlessly about pickups. They all have strengths and weaknesses and these change as they are redesigned over the years.
I personally don't know the new trucks very well except Fords.

MX793

Yeah, I've known too many people, and heard too many stories (friends of friends, etc) of Rams and Dodges with serious problems going back over 2 decades, and still hearing stories of issues with the latest ones, for me to consider them segment leaders.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

Quote from: SVT_Power on March 13, 2021, 09:32:02 AM
So I've now had 2 consecutive days of no hiccups. I'm not 100% convinced it's completely gone but obviously I can't prove something that's not happening right now.

I think my plan here might be try to get the original dealer that sold me the truck to throw in an extended warranty for some peace of mind. Gonna have a phone call with them this afternoon, so we'll see what happens.

You have a warranty... Just chill, it will work itself out
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FoMoJo

Quote from: r0tor on March 13, 2021, 04:43:44 PM
You have a warranty... Just chill, it will work itself out
Not if it conks in the middle of a blizzard in Saskatchewan, or whatever hell hole they send him to.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

SVT_Power

I don't know much about the GM products but between the F150 and the Ram at the moment, I think F150 is the better "truck" truck. But the Ram is the better everyday truck. Where the F150 really blows the Ram out of the water is engine choices - the F150 offers 5 engines right now, while the Ram only offers 3 (and arguably the V6 is barely adequate so if you wanted to actually use the Ram as a truck, you're gonna have to spring for either the Hemi or the Ecodiesel).

SVT_Power

A little update:

Talked to the sales guy who sold me the truck. I already reached out to him earlier in the week, but talked to him on the phone today. Told him I already took it to a dealer and they flashed the modules according to TSBs but that I still encountered the issue. He asked me to send him a copy of the work order that was done so that he could take it to the shop at his dealership.

But the big thing was at the end of the conversation, without me bringing it up, he said he wants to help me sort this all out even if it means "bringing the truck back for another one"

The only problem...the dealership he works at is like most dealers in the province - they have VERY few Ram 1500's on the lot and with FCA's production issues right now, they barely have any new stock trickling in.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: SVT_Power on March 13, 2021, 05:35:20 PM
I don't know much about the GM products but between the F150 and the Ram at the moment, I think F150 is the better "truck" truck. But the Ram is the better everyday truck. Where the F150 really blows the Ram out of the water is engine choices - the F150 offers 5 engines right now, while the Ram only offers 3 (and arguably the V6 is barely adequate so if you wanted to actually use the Ram as a truck, you're gonna have to spring for either the Hemi or the Ecodiesel).

I mean, the Rams are really nice; and when I say that, realize its a very competitive segment. Rams currently have nicer interiors and ride better, and if that's the deciding factor, thats what counts.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

r0tor

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 13, 2021, 04:48:46 PM
Not if it conks in the middle of a blizzard in Saskatchewan, or whatever hell hole they send him to.

I assume they also give you roadside assistance.

But really, a small issue is not uncommon with any new car.  It's a little extreme to ditch something because of 1 issue.

r0tor

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 13, 2021, 05:59:34 PM
I mean, the Rams are really nice; and when I say that, realize its a very competitive segment. Rams currently have nicer interiors and ride better, and if that's the deciding factor, thats what counts.

I wasn't aware that new trucks were used for anything other than soccer kid transport appliances.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: r0tor on March 13, 2021, 06:03:14 PM
I assume they also give you roadside assistance.

But really, a small issue is not uncommon with any new car.  It's a little extreme to ditch something because of 1 issue.

Usually, but if that issue is the engine the first week, that's a serious issue.
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on March 13, 2021, 06:09:03 PM
I wasn't aware that new trucks were used for anything other than soccer kid transport appliances.

Sometimes its hockey.

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

SVT_Power

Saga continues. Went to the dealer again yesterday, service manager came on a ride with me to see if we could both experience the issue. The truck didn't do the severe stuttering while we were on the drive (the fucking thing did it on the way to the shop, and on the way home, but not during  :rage:), but it did exhibit it lightly and the service manager confirmed he felt/noticed it as well. So now at least it's not just a customer saying there's an issue.

So definitely some progress, but not sure where it goes from here. The service manager said he's gonna put his senior tech on it to try to figure it out. But he also said because the truck isn't throwing any codes (we're both also confused by that fact), he's not sure if they could even reach out to the engineers over this issue.

FoMoJo

They will string you along.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

RomanChariot

Quote from: SVT_Power on March 18, 2021, 09:18:10 AM
Saga continues. Went to the dealer again yesterday, service manager came on a ride with me to see if we could both experience the issue. The truck didn't do the severe stuttering while we were on the drive (the fucking thing did it on the way to the shop, and on the way home, but not during  :rage:), but it did exhibit it lightly and the service manager confirmed he felt/noticed it as well. So now at least it's not just a customer saying there's an issue.

So definitely some progress, but not sure where it goes from here. The service manager said he's gonna put his senior tech on it to try to figure it out. But he also said because the truck isn't throwing any codes (we're both also confused by that fact), he's not sure if they could even reach out to the engineers over this issue.

The Suburban I used to own developed a misfire that went almost overnight from mildly annoying to undriveable. It took a shop 3 days to fix it and they replaced a bunch of stuff that didn't fix it along the way. Even with a severe misfire problem it never threw a code. Granted it was a 1999 Suburban but it was still OBDII.

MX793

I had a friend with a 500 Abarth that had chronic intermittent transmission issues where the car would be locked out of all but 3rd and 4th gear.  Of course, every time they went to the dealer, the problem could not be replicated.  Even took video of it when it was happening, but not enough for the dealer to do anything.  This went on until the warranty expired.  Then the shift linkage catastrophically failed.  New linkage apparently fixed it, but the car was sold not too long after.
Needs more Jiggawatts

shp4man

Ask them if anybody checked the mode 6 data for misfires. If they say "what's that?" Go to another dealership.