Started by Tave, January 19, 2018, 12:32:28 PM

Would you rather?

Drive a stick, but it has to be FWD
7 (58.3%)
Drive RWD, but it has to be an automatic
5 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Tave

You're looking for a new car and have it narrowed down to two choices: one is a nicely handling FWD car w/ a stick, the other a well-sorted automatic in RWD. Neither option stands head and shoulders above the other, you like both about equally, and the only defining characteristics are the transmission and driven wheels. Which do you chose?

I'd go with the manual--dynamics at the limit can be fun under the right circumstances, but a manual can be fun pretty much every time you get in the car. :rockon:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Soup DeVille

Assuming everything else about the cars is as equal as possible; I'd go for the stick.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MexicoCityM3

I would probably go with the fwd manual. For example, I'd take a Cooper S manual over a 330i auto.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

2o6

Laconian

You'll enjoy the stick shift all of the time.

Driven wheels don't matter except at the limits.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

Going off personal experience with an auto E46 and Camaro

sporty RWD > manual
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 19, 2018, 12:54:20 PM
Going off personal experience with an auto E46 and Camaro

sporty RWD > manual

Hmmm. Both of those are RWD.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on January 19, 2018, 12:58:17 PM
Hmmm. Both of those are RWD.

Yes, I loved both. Automatic RWD is much more fun to drift (dry or snow) than manual FWD.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 19, 2018, 01:07:18 PM
Yes, I loved both. Automatic RWD is much more fun to drift (dry or snow) than manual FWD.

I see. It is difficult to answer this question in general without talking of specific cars.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on January 19, 2018, 01:10:00 PM
I see. It is difficult to answer this question in general without talking of specific cars.

True. I'd prefer an original Mini Cooper if compared to a Genesis

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

giant_mtb

This a tough one. If it was my only vehicle, FWD manual.  If I could also have truck, RWD auto.  I dunno, also depends on the vehicle. 🤔

Soup DeVille

I think we have to assume that these are otherwise very similar vehicles, and also that they're sporty enough for us to give a damn which wheels are driven. Like if there was still a compact FWD Subaru, versus an automatic BRZ.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

ChrisV

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on January 19, 2018, 12:41:37 PM
I would probably go with the fwd manual. For example, I'd take a Cooper S manual over a 330i auto.

Hmmm. We replaced a Cooper w/manual with a 330Ci ZHP automatic. Both equally fun. The auto in the ZHP is much more comfy to drive in traffic, and yet still a blast when the traffic clears and the roads get twisty, like on the Tail of the Dragon. But it's still a vastly different, and much more powerful car, than the Cooper was.

For me, there are a LOT more factors that go into it, and it's hard to find a comparable FWD and RWD car regardless of transmission as they tend to be much different cars overall.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Payman

For a sporty driver, FWD manual. For me, I'd take a manual Cooper or GTi over an automatic Miata or BRZ. For a larger sedan, RWD auto.

MX793

How much power are we talking about?  Manual transmission generally trumps drive wheels for me, but when horsepower/torque starts getting much above 230, I might start re-thinking priorities.  Assuming the auto in the RWD car is a crisp, quick-shifting, unit with a responsive manual control mode and not some droning, TorCon slipping, slushy, recalcitrant fun-sapper.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

veeman

I would have a year ago said stick without hesitation but after renting a MB SLK (or SLC) turbo 4 with 9 speed auto and driven it in sport mode, I'm not so sure.  That car was so much fun.

I'd probably still get a stick though just for the psychological kick I get that fewer and fewer people can drive one. It's also cool that I never have to adjust anything in the car because my wife can't drive it.

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Does dual clutch count as auto?

If it does, then I'll pick RWD and auto because if you limit yourself to FWD and Manual, the most sporting car you could get is probably this:

On the other hand, Auto (if counting dual clutch), RWD, affords pretty much endless possibilities. 

Raza

In my opinion, dual clutch and "F1 style" SMG boxes are both automatics.

Of course, I'm Tave's example, the cars are roughly equal in all other aspects. It's not a Mini vs a Ferrari situation.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SJ_GTI

Tough call, but oddly enough IME RWD cars are more likely to have a manual transmission available than FWD or AWD cars.

My driven wheel preference is AWD and my transmission preference is manual, but it almost came down to RWD/Manual vs AWD/Auto. I feel like most sporty RWD cars do come with a manual transmission (BMW's, Camaro/Mustang/Vette, Chevy SS, Miata, BRZ, etc...). FWD/AWD cars are a bit more hit or miss. Audi has just about abandoned the manual transmission and I would be surprised is VW follows. I think BMW might technically still offer manuals on the xDrive models but it is more rare than the RWD models. Subura still seems to offer a lot of manual transmission models, hopefully that continues.

veeman

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 22, 2018, 06:42:45 AM
Tough call, but oddly enough IME RWD cars are more likely to have a manual transmission available than FWD or AWD cars.

My driven wheel preference is AWD and my transmission preference is manual, but it almost came down to RWD/Manual vs AWD/Auto. I feel like most sporty RWD cars do come with a manual transmission (BMW's, Camaro/Mustang/Vette, Chevy SS, Miata, BRZ, etc...). FWD/AWD cars are a bit more hit or miss. Audi has just about abandoned the manual transmission and I would be surprised is VW follows. I think BMW might technically still offer manuals on the xDrive models but it is more rare than the RWD models. Subura still seems to offer a lot of manual transmission models, hopefully that continues.

Yes, also Honda (civic/accord) and Mazda (3/6) still offer manual. 

Xer0

I can't think of a single FWD/Manual car in production now that I would own over a PDK equipped Boxster or a DCT M3 or any number of hyper/super/duper cars.  FWD is such a limited factor that tops out at a....Civic.  This question would be more interesting with a $$ cap, like lets say 35-40K.  At that point, you begin comparing a Civic Type R to a V6 Camaro/Ecoboost Stang/Stripper 230 and it becomes more difficult.

Soup DeVille

yes, as has been repeatedly mentioned it iind of breaks down if limited to current new car choices. I don't think that was ever really the intended question.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 22, 2018, 11:02:51 AM
yes, as has been repeatedly mentioned it iind of breaks down if limited to current new car choices. I don't think that was ever really the intended question.

Then all other things being equal (and generally good) I would likely choose Auto/RWD over Manual/FWD. I would choose (Either)/AWD over both though.  :lol:

Raza

Quote from: Xer0 on January 22, 2018, 09:30:20 AM
I can't think of a single FWD/Manual car in production now that I would own over a PDK equipped Boxster or a DCT M3 or any number of hyper/super/duper cars.  FWD is such a limited factor that tops out at a....Civic.  This question would be more interesting with a $$ cap, like lets say 35-40K.  At that point, you begin comparing a Civic Type R to a V6 Camaro/Ecoboost Stang/Stripper 230 and it becomes more difficult.

Yeah, but he's talking about hypothetical situation where the cars are otherwise equal. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Speed_Racer

FWD stick - I don't drive anywhere near hard enough for FWD vs RWD to make a difference, so I'd rather row my own

giant_mtb

All things being equal, I'd probably go FWD/manual.  I dunno.  RWD is super fun in the winter, but that's about the only time I'm ever breaking traction on purpose.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 22, 2018, 01:25:32 PM
All things being equal, I'd probably go FWD/manual.  I dunno.  RWD is super fun in the winter, but that's about the only time I'm ever breaking traction on purpose.

http://lsup.scca.com/