Dirtbike

Started by giant_mtb, October 04, 2015, 05:33:27 PM

giant_mtb

Did you cross at walking pace or did you fork over a dollar? :lol:

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 25, 2015, 05:29:26 PM
Don't you remember seeing that bridge in Houghton while we were there?  We drove over it a couple times.

They just did/are still doing some major work on it. It's a cool bridge. Walked across that sucker drunk many a time with my housemates.  Houghton (where Michigan Tech and the bar scene is) is on one side and Hancock, where we lived, on the other.

I do remember it well....that's why I mentioned it. I think I have pictures of it somewhere and given it was winter, it seemed especially striking. Though maybe that's partly due to the fact that I was a little blazed.

That was also the same area where I thought you may have been exaggerating about yooper snow banks until I realized we were walking on it.

giant_mtb

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on October 25, 2015, 05:39:18 PM
I do remember it well....that's why I mentioned it.

Ahhhh gotcha. I figured, but ya know...internet, hard to tell, etc.

MX793

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 25, 2015, 05:39:09 PM
Did you cross at walking pace or did you fork over a dollar? :lol:

It's only illegal if you get caught :devil:

Another oldie (this one ~20 years older than the first):

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 25, 2015, 05:40:04 PM
Ahhhh gotcha. I figured, but ya know...internet, hard to tell, etc.

Houghton is a fun little town with some interesting bars and it definitely had more going on and was bigger than I imagined. I thought Marquette was Houghton sized and everything else smaller but I was indeed wrong. I even enjoyed the beer at the KBC, which doesn't usually happen with me and beer. Besides the bridge, the fake palm trees at the Downtowner were definitely memorable:

That's a nice touch when it's 11 degrees or whatever outside. :lol:

It was a really good time.

giant_mtb

That deck is awesome in the summer, especially with the outside bar.

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: MX793 on October 25, 2015, 05:43:07 PM
It's only illegal if you get caught :devil:

Another oldie (this one ~20 years older than the first):

Covered bridges are awesome.

Clay and I did a little side trip after the NY auto show and went looked at covered bridges somewhere in rural CT. Very interesting structures and something we don't really have here in CA. Or maybe we do and I just haven't seen them.

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 25, 2015, 05:59:51 PM
That deck is awesome in the summer, especially with the outside bar.

I bet.

Nice view too.

giant_mtb

Eye of the Tiger

Leaves.

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

After putting 1,300 miles on it meself, starting to see some wear at the foot control areas from pants and boots and shenanigans! :rockon:

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 05, 2015, 02:11:11 PM
Leaves.

Comin' up on mid November and still out there, eh? Very nice. I don't see too much snow and ice either so I"m sure that makes for some good riding.

giant_mtb

Ya it was like friggin 65 that day. And now it's 38 and shitty.

280Z Turbo

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on November 07, 2015, 10:20:37 PM
Why don't you make like a tree and get outta here?

That as funny as a screen door on a battleship.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 07, 2015, 11:21:48 AM
Ya it was like friggin 65 that day. And now it's 38 and shitty.

Yeah 65 is great for November....seems like it's been colder here than there this fall.

Ya might be riding until December and man, good timing on your purchase.

giant_mtb

Hah I think December is a stretch.  I might get one or two more rides in. I dunno. I've been treating every ride like it might be the last one. Just in case.

It snowed a bit yesterday morning.  Night's are still getting colder and colder...Tacoma said it was 30F on my way home from the bar last night.

shp4man

The insanity at Glamis starts about Thanksgiving day....

It's kind of like a Mad Maxian drunk driving/no cops loony fest. 

giant_mtb

Quote from: shp4man on November 08, 2015, 02:39:53 PM
The insanity at Glamis starts about Thanksgiving day....

It's kind of like a Mad Maxian drunk driving/no cops loony fest. 

What does this have to do with CRF.  Why are you on my lawn.

shp4man

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 08, 2015, 02:44:53 PM
What does this have to do with CRF.  Why are you on my lawn.

Dirtbike!   :lol:

giant_mtb

Quote from: shp4man on November 08, 2015, 03:08:54 PM
Dirtbike!   :lol:

I see like three dirtbikes in a sea of quads and sand rails.

shp4man

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 08, 2015, 03:28:40 PM
I see like three dirtbikes in a sea of quads and sand rails.

It's like this, the desert enthusiasts typically have a motorhome towing a trailer full of toys, many of them dirtbikes and other stuff out to Glamis or Ocotillo Wells to tear up the sand, get drunk and have fun. I'm not really one of them, but have to say I'm fascinated by the whole expensive as hell spectacle. 

giant_mtb

I find enduro far more interesting because I live nowhere near a desert. 

https://youtu.be/A-fP3pkAOcM

https://youtu.be/uYtUYt53H54

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 08, 2015, 12:50:35 PM
Hah I think December is a stretch.  I might get one or two more rides in. I dunno. I've been treating every ride like it might be the last one. Just in case.

That's the spirit.

giant_mtb

I'm guessing some Stabil in the gas tank is about all I need to do for winter storage?  Don't think I'm gonna get any more rides in lol. And if I do, it has a pretty full tank. Gonna drop some stabil in, swish it around, and run it for a bit so da stabil can get to working parts as well.

Speed_Racer

That's all I did to my bike. If I had more space, I'd put mine up on stands too so I don't get flat spots on the tires come spring.

giant_mtb

Some extra pressure in the tires for storage should help prevent that.

giant_mtb

Stabil'd Dirtbike. Got snowblower out for the first time. Dose of sea foam with a full tank of fresh gas. Started on the 4thish pull. Warmed it up, changed oil, ran it again, changed oil again. Woulda changed it again (it's just a quart) as there was still some black nasty comin out with it, but my drain pan ran out of room (whoops).

MX793

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 03, 2015, 11:47:44 AM
I'm guessing some Stabil in the gas tank is about all I need to do for winter storage?  Don't think I'm gonna get any more rides in lol. And if I do, it has a pretty full tank. Gonna drop some stabil in, swish it around, and run it for a bit so da stabil can get to working parts as well.

Fuel injected or carb'ed?  IIRC, we always drained the tanks on the dirtbikes before winter storage when I was a kid.  Not sure how easy that is with FI dirtbikes these days.  The carb'ed bikes, which had a fuel petcock, were easy.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

Quote from: MX793 on December 03, 2015, 04:01:23 PM
Fuel injected or carb'ed?  IIRC, we always drained the tanks on the dirtbikes before winter storage when I was a kid.  Not sure how easy that is with FI dirtbikes these days.  The carb'ed bikes, which had a fuel petcock, were easy.

It's carb'd.  I was gonna drain it (like I do most everything else), but I stabil'd and turned the petcock off after running it instead.  I guess I could've also turned the petcock off and run it 'til it died to empty out the carb, but, meh, I ran it for at least 5 minutes after sloshing the Stabil around in the tank, so it should be fine.  A dose of Seafoam in the spring and she'll run like a champ.