3D Car Modeling

Started by 2o6, June 12, 2013, 08:52:12 PM

2o6

These sketches are done at work, and the 3D model is really rough.

The sketches are done on scrap paper when the shop is slow and I don't have much to do.

Quote from: 2o6 on June 10, 2013, 09:32:58 AM
I could actually get with this. I have drawn up a few conceptual ideas - a sort of "Commuter sports". Tall gearing and engine for economy and emphasis placed upon handling. Basically a Miata, but more economical.

Quote from: MrH on June 10, 2013, 09:38:23 AM
Just a heads up:  You don't really gear your car for a desired fuel economy.  It's done to match the torque curve of the engine mostly.  You can't take a high, strung out engine and gear it really tall.  Flooring an engine when it's out of it's power band just to accelerate slowly isn't necessarily better for fuel efficiency.

I'm interested to see what you come up with though!  Post it here when you get something sketched up.

I don't have a scanner, so my cameraphone distorts the perspective.

and some other sketches at work

VW something or other

Spark sedan

Started life as an Equinox

Raza

The sports commuter looks pretty good.  Reminds me a little of the Evora.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

It appears that your Equinox morphed into an Evoque somewhere along the way... :lol:

MrH

First sketch is definitely your best.  Looks good!  A little concept-y with how minimal the rear is, but overall shape is really pleasing.

At least it's something different from econoboxes like you usually draw :lol:  I still think one of the more challenging, but probably most helpful exercise, would be to try and draw existing vehicles.  It'll take you out of your comfort zone in terms of proportions.  Try some new angles too :thumbsup:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

I've been doing a few observational sketches while at work. Many of them are off perspective, or destroyed but

(what I thought the Jeep Cherokee should look like)

Fucked up Versa

Traverse

Also, I've been experiementing with more complicated surface interactions lately, more delibrate and less accidental. After about 24 hours, I came up with these FWD entry lux thingys

The sedan was the first, just a quick exercise, based upon this profile sketch. Some of the curves are a little blocky, and I'm clueless on what to do with either fascia, but I think it's a good start.

and a FWD lux hatchback, no front lights modeled yet.

2o6

Oh, and the hatch and sedan come from these two very quick and rough profile sketches

2o6

Within the past hour I came up with this

You guys better fucking like it....I took my time and really thought about optimal sexiness. It's sort of a FWD Audi TT competitor. Reads really awkward from other angles, but I think the profile is really sexy.

Then some angles it looks awkward....

hotrodalex

Rear window extends down too far. Otherwise, nice.

SVT666

What happened to the RWD coupe you were working on?

2o6

Quote from: SVT666 on July 22, 2013, 12:42:50 AM
What happened to the RWD coupe you were working on?

Lost interest, aside from an empty interior its pretty much done.

Besides, I want to make a better one truer to my sketches anyways. The RWD isn't modeled very well, and a lot of the design is due to the fact I didn't know how to use the program well enough to make it look 100%.

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 22, 2013, 12:17:54 AM
Rear window extends down too far. Otherwise, nice.

Thanks! I fixed that part.

Raza

I think it needs a little more glass on the sides.  Makes the Camaro look easy to see out of comparatively. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Sketchdump (Pretty much all of this shit is quick rapid fire sketches when I'm bored at work)

I have a secret love affair with commercial vans

2o6

Just some updates

The MR roadster "commuter sports" is turning into one of my favorite designs I have ever made. Granted, it's is a bit Acura NSX + Lotus Evora + a few other odd ass things, but I feel I am proud of the overall proportioning and the DLO treatment. Keep in mind this is a small car; think MR2 Spyder but hardtop. Or Smart Roadster, but with a real engine and transmission. Power would be very modest; only like 120HP in base form

The FWD Luxo Coupe is also one of my favorites (not just because I love the segment IRL). I'm starting to hate it, though. Reminds me of that old Geely Coupe concept mixed with an old Mitsu FTO. Only thing new about this is the Ford esque gaping maw, and the fact that there's a door now

Also, I made this Evouque esque styling excercise.

I've fooled around with a couple other models, but some of them look like complete trash and I'm not posting them.

Looking at the Smart Roadster wonders if there is room for anything smaller......TO THE SKETCHBOOK

I like small cars. I like small roadsters even more. Something like a Go-Kart, but road legal and stylish. Or a Caterham, but not old.

12,000 RPM

Your designs are getting good to the point that I think you need to put realistic wheel/tire combos on for us to get an idea of how the cars would actually look

Good stuff
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 23, 2013, 06:12:39 AM
Your designs are getting good to the point that I think you need to put realistic wheel/tire combos on for us to get an idea of how the cars would actually look

Good stuff

Those aren't realistic enough?

Thanks, though.

SVT666

Whatever happed to your RWD coupe?  That is far and away your best one to date.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 2o6 on September 23, 2013, 09:03:05 AM

Those aren't realistic enough?

Thanks, though.
They are, which makes the rubber band hubcap whee/tire combo that much more ridiculous.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

2o6

Quote from: SVT666 on September 23, 2013, 11:27:29 AM
Whatever happed to your RWD coupe?  That is far and away your best one to date.

That model is two years old.

If I kept on that same RWD coupe, I would never do anything different.

Im not going back to that car; its old news

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 23, 2013, 12:46:00 PM
They are, which makes the rubber band hubcap whee/tire combo that much more ridiculous.

Meh, its not that goofy. Its about the same profile as the wheels on your 350Z

2o6

I'm entering this contest

http://grabcad.com/challenges/500-group-supercar-body-challenge-2013

Might not make the deadline, but I at least got a chance to draft something up.

Also, I have been taking tips and tricks to make a realistic looking paint shader - now my cars look painted and reflect light properly. This coupled with better lighting = realism has been bumped wayyy up. Here are some current projects with said shader

Fuck visibility. Also, this is shot high because it has possibly the worst front overhang ever

aaannd the supercar

odd angle

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Laconian

High beltlines, c'mon, do something different for a change!

That shape reminds me of a Marcos 3000 GT.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

I missed the supercar deadline, cause I moved in the middle of it.

Here's a bit of a dump of stuff I have been doing lately and generating a portfolio for ID.

Aviva (non Luxury make)

Here's a Compact CUV, about the same size as the CRV, Rogue, RAV4, Escape, etc....

Here's a tiny little 3-cylinder runabout for Europe and India and other developing markets. I have done a similar concept before. I made the 3-door first, then the 5-door.

Fast fact: I actually used this old thing as a starting point for the mesh. I have come a long way.

I originally used this as a paint test. Before I Started making a luxury make, I didn't know what I wanted it to look like, and I didn't know what drive wheels I wanted it to have. This was supposed to be a RWD 3-series sized sedan, but I realized I fucked up the proportions, so it looks too FWD (before I decided I wanted a more FWD look for the entry level sedan). It's a nicely proportioned sedan, but I don't know what to do with it

This is the start of my luxury make. Theyve all got a certain styling language going on here. Some of these you've seen before, just a few tweaks to make it right

This is a small Hybrid-exclusive vehicle. Think Lexus HS, but not as ugly. Proportions are not as racy, emphesis is on interior space and this car would likely be based upon a wayy cheaper architecture

This goes against the A4, ATS, 3-series directly. It's FWD.

Here's the coupe of this model. It's closer to a TT than an ATS coupe or 4-series.

I've also shown this before. This is a Small AWD luxo crossover. Think Infiniti Juke, if it existed. Might redo the headlamps. They look bad

Shown this before too, but it has a roofline tweak and some other things to bump up the realism. Sort of an A3 competitor.

2o6

Came up with this 5-series looking thing today

2o6

Sports model coupe

Chinese-market half-midsized thingy

2o6

I like making cheap cars for china

Small coupe that looks a bit mazda+Honda ish

La Cheapa small hatchback powered by a tax evading 1.0L

Awkwardly sized (Hyundai Mistra, VW Magotan) large compact is nearly done on the outside

realistically underwheeled

Laconian

I like those quite a bit. Why are the headlights mounted so low? Kind of a sleepy look..
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MrH

I present to you... The only person who enjoys designing fantasy cars with tax evading 1.0 liter engines for the Chinese market.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

Quote from: MrH on July 05, 2014, 07:49:29 PM
I present to you... The only person who enjoys designing fantasy cars with tax evading 1.0 liter engines for the Chinese market.

Industrial design portfolios need several types of products and markets.

No one wants to see a portfolio of supercars; they don't really do too much of anything. Manufacturers want to see how you'd solve their problems, ideas you'd bring to the table. This particular application was a small car - something that is sophisticated yet cheap.

Why must you bust my balls about designing smaller, cheaper cars?

Quote from: Laconian on July 05, 2014, 07:32:22 PM
I like those quite a bit. Why are the headlights mounted so low? Kind of a sleepy look..

I was playing with having the grille crest above the headlights. Someone said that that look is inherently unpretty. So I experimented to prove them wrong.

Mixed results. It's a little pig nosed, and the headlights look a bit low.

MrH

Quote from: 2o6 on July 05, 2014, 08:30:33 PM
Industrial design portfolios need several types of products and markets.

No one wants to see a portfolio of supercars; they don't really do too much of anything. Manufacturers want to see how you'd solve their problems, ideas you'd bring to the table. This particular application was a small car - something that is sophisticated yet cheap.

Why must you bust my balls about designing smaller, cheaper cars?

I'm busting your balls because you're not following your own advice.  You say your portfolio needs variety, and yet we keep getting little econoboxes out of you.  I think the best challenge will be to try and recreate something that already exists.  Then make your own creations for each segment.

I like the enthusiasm though.  It's definitely getting better.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited