3D Car Modeling

Started by 2o6, June 12, 2013, 08:52:12 PM

2o6

More stuff done.

I've been working on FINISHING the cars.

The Cycloid Ontario (B-segment sedan) has a fully-modeled interior now. The radio hasn't been textured yet.

the Trendsetter (A-segment hatchback) also has a fully-modeled interior. Part of the dashboard is textured.

I also started work on this grocery store and car dealership to show off the cars. The dealership will give you the scale of the cars; the city car is a lot shorter than the sedan model!

Laconian

The interior meshes look great, can't wait to see what they'll look like textured. Got some good bump maps for leatherette handy? ;)
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on December 13, 2017, 11:16:47 PM
The interior meshes look great, can't wait to see what they'll look like textured. Got some good bump maps for leatherette handy? ;)

Yes I do! Poliigon.com is where I get all my textures from now. It's well worth the $13 a month I pay.

2o6

I'm still trying to push realism

And one of the things I've noticed is that my wheels look like ass. Not design wise, but the tires are just grey cylinders!

So I downloaded this pretty detailed steel wheel and tire. But I don't like using other people's things, so I at least modeled another tire (actually it's a Nexen N'Blue Eco) and used the found steel wheel model as a stand in, for now at least.

Online wheels

My Nexens with the found model steel wheel.

So I learned more and more about displacment maps and bump maps. It's a great way to add detail and realism to parts, without being computationally expensive.

2o6

Laconian

Can you model a road like that? Maybe load up the suspension a bit to make it look like it's doing a wobbly econocar slalom?

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on December 21, 2017, 11:13:02 AM
Can you model a road like that? Maybe load up the suspension a bit to make it look like it's doing a wobbly econocar slalom?

HA. I probably could. My goal was to make real "fake" cars that I could put in the backgrounds of my 3D archviz stuff, but obviously I like cars so they've taken on this stuff.

I used to put these in computer games but not so much these days. BeamNG is hard to write for, and the admin at the site is an asshole. Also, with high LOD, these cars are coming up on 1m+ polygons (triangles, quads it's about 1/2 that)

Anyways here's some other pics I did today

Here's a very old mesh I breathed on and tried to make current. I was modeling this thing and sticking to it wayy back in 2010. It's a very odd looking thing, but I think it could be an electric car or something.

Another shot of the city car

Here's the subcompact hatchback in it's topmost trim. Sort of a Versa/March/Micra SV, if you will.

Basic interior modeled

Rear suspension modeled

Laconian

If you do a realistic road, can you simulate that reflective wet road effect they do with car commercials?

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on December 21, 2017, 12:12:05 PM
If you do a realistic road, can you simulate that reflective wet road effect they do with car commercials?

It wouldn't be hard, but it sounds like you'd want more of an animation (which I am bad at) versus a still image.

2o6

As an overview, here are all the models I've got.

A-segment (Trendsetter)

Small hatchback sized like a Chevy Spark, near the cheaper end of the segment and would be an option for developing markets like Brazil and India.

B-segment (Cycloid)

Small cheap hatchback. This is more akin to the Canada/ASEAN Nissan Micra/March; it's small and about the same length, but the car is simpler to make. This is created to be easy to make, good visibility, low price of entry, big back seat.

B-segment (Cycloid Ontario)

The Sedan version of the above hatchback, this car is designed to also be cheap, but preference is given to rear seat space.

B-segment (Kier)

So this is a very old mesh, and I was playing around with it and did a lot of tweaks (basically remodeled the damn car) and created this "Euro" B-segment. This is sort of the EU Micra. More sophisticated, and all those weird styling choices come at a cost; headroom and legroom are down from the Cycloid series.

B- segment (Artigo)

Small CUV. Kind of self explanatory.

C-segment (Allegro)

This is directly comparable to a Honda Civic or Mazda 3. It's got a wrap-around rear window, and a sort of athletic stance.

C-segment (Activa)

This is a "Chinese special". It's a Compact in length car, but the proportions are focused on interior room. You get full-sized car space with compact car $$$.

MrH

Why are most of your cars purple? :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

Quote from: MrH on January 08, 2018, 01:16:43 PM
Why are most of your cars purple? :lol:

Why not??? lol

Anyways, I was working on terrain building and other stuff etc

giant_mtb

That's a pretty tight bend for 55mph. :lol:

2o6

I'm approaching the uncanny valley

2o6

2o6

I did some really nifty ads that show my graphic design abilities etc

2o6

here's this breadvan thingy

shp4man

I wonder how hard it would be to use those models in a videogame? Polys and textures are polys and textures, right?  :huh:

2o6

Quote from: shp4man on March 21, 2018, 02:32:26 PM
I wonder how hard it would be to use those models in a videogame? Polys and textures are polys and textures, right?  :huh:

You could. Thing is, these models are not optimized for that use. With wheels, tires, full interiors, these cars are around 1m polygons.

Tave

Just my .02, but for portfolio purposes, I don't think it would hurt to try modeling a couple cars that are heavily stylized and "objectively" beautiful as opposed to these more production-realistic mainstreamers. I also think the exercise might provide you some insight into motifs that would translate well into improving the mundane stuff.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

giant_mtb

Quote from: 2o6 on March 16, 2018, 11:11:07 AM
I did some really nifty ads that show my graphic design abilities etc

A weirdly cropped image on top of some flowers...?

2o6

Quote from: Tave on March 21, 2018, 04:08:43 PM
Just my .02, but for portfolio purposes, I don't think it would hurt to try modeling a couple cars that are heavily stylized and "objectively" beautiful as opposed to these more production-realistic mainstreamers. I also think the exercise might provide you some insight into motifs that would translate well into improving the mundane stuff.

I only have two automotive pieces in my portfolio (of about 40 pieces)

2o6

I remodeled the orange car to have less goofy proportions, and I accidentally made an Acura ILX

2o6

I still do this.

I've been working on interior lighting, so here are two new models in this parking deck scene.

AutobahnSHO

This still fascinates me. In 1990 or so we visited a high-speed place in Salt Lake City that had ginormous computer towers to do computer rendering. They had one they showed us that looked like a photo realistic car in a showroom.

And they had a live balls on a rollercoaster type thing going on. Really amazing compared to everything else around back then. But it would probably look really amateur-ish next to your stuff.
Will

2o6

I took about 2h to make this interior.

2o6

That interior was too stodgy.

Also, here's the cars in a parking deck.

FoMoJo

If find your designs interesting and without the intention of critiquing them, I would say that yesterday, attending the local auto show, I sat in a number of different vehicles and what I found that distracted me was when the dash squared up with the door panels on each side.  I found that it was more pleasant to look at when the dash, on each side, curved to flow into the door panel.  Just a little niggling thing that bothered me a bit.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Laconian

IMO it's probably because everything aspires to be an SUV nowadays; slab faces and perpendicular intersections are perceived to be more masculine.

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on February 22, 2019, 12:45:13 PM
IMO it's probably because everything aspires to be an SUV nowadays; slab faces and perpendicular intersections are perceived to be more masculine.

No, it's because this is a cheap car, and making dash and door panels curve into the dash is an expensive thing to do.