Tesla

Started by SJ_GTI, February 23, 2017, 07:11:02 AM

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on May 29, 2020, 03:55:46 PM
They make a big point about the truck being extremely cheap: $36k starting price. It is a lot of truck for just $36k, so blowing a chunk of the constrained budget on extravagances like bulletproofing just seemed illogical.

But if bulletproofing is not the end in itself, and the body actually yields a net reduction in cost, then it makes more sense.

Hard to say for sure until its substantially more, well substantial than it is.

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Bulletproof glass is stupid heavy. Silly.
Will

Laconian

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on May 29, 2020, 06:59:51 PM
Bulletproof glass is stupid heavy. Silly.

Supposedly it's transparent metal, not glass. O_o
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on May 29, 2020, 07:53:56 PM

Scotty?

Can we hold whales in there?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

Dictated on my Apple Mac 512KE.

AutobahnSHO

Even heavier, at the thickness from the unveiling.
Will

veeman

https://electrek.co/2020/05/29/tesla-model-3-beats-honda-civic-top-selling-car-california/

Top selling new car in first quarter 2020 of California was the Model 3.  It beat the Honda Civic.  A near 50 thousand dollar car as the best selling car of all models... 

Morris Minor

Quote from: veeman on May 29, 2020, 09:18:44 PM
https://electrek.co/2020/05/29/tesla-model-3-beats-honda-civic-top-selling-car-california/

Top selling new car in first quarter 2020 of California was the Model 3.  It beat the Honda Civic.  A near 50 thousand dollar car as the best selling car of all models... 
Cool & groovy beats clothes dryer.

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Morris Minor

...and in that vein

Tesla Shareholder Wants Musk to Drop His Disdain for Advertising
https://www.bloombergquint.com/technology/tesla-shareholder-wants-musk-to-drop-his-disdain-for-advertising

Tesla does not need to advertise  - they get billions of dollars of that already for free from the meedja, driven by, and courtesy of, Elon Musk.

Soup DeVille

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 30, 2020, 10:50:43 AM
Maybe it is?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_oxynitride

It's a ceramic.

IIRC, some armored military vehicles use sapphire windows.  Supposed to be thinner and lighter than traditional ballistic windows for the same protection.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Morris Minor

... And on Thursday, the entrepreneur received a gigantic paycheck from his other company, Tesla—an equity package worth $750 million—to reward him for boosting Tesla's market value past the $100 billion mark.
https://observer.com/2020/05/elon-musk-receive-750m-tesla-bonus-before-spacex-nasa-human-launch/

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on May 29, 2020, 03:55:46 PM
They make a big point about the truck being extremely cheap: $36k starting price. It is a lot of truck for just $36k, so blowing a chunk of the constrained budget on extravagances like bulletproofing just seemed illogical.

But if bulletproofing is not the end in itself, and the body actually yields a net reduction in cost, then it makes more sense.

Why are you guys analyzing this more than Tesla has at this point.  They've openly said they have zero idea how they're going to make this.

It's a concept with a made up price that's years away if it ever makes production.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

WookieOnRitalin

You mean...transparent aluminum!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaVgRj2e5_s
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

giant_mtb

Behind the Bastards...a podcast where they look into the lives and events of people that most would consider to be bad people. This episode, they are tackling Elon Musk. 😬

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/behind-the-bastards/e/70147436?autoplay=true

Morris Minor

I visited my buddy who owns a Model 3.  In his garage he has a rather lamely installed Tesla Wall Connector. The electrician had nailed in some blocking and the thing was mounted on that...not even straight. It was ghetto.

That led me to thinking... & it occurred to me that if you're going to retrofit a garage, with all the work installing an extra breaker, all the conduit etc., maybe you should provision for a non-Tesla charging outlet as well. Tesla Connectors are great - Wi-Fi - smart, non-clunky. But you, and prospective future owners of the home, are locking into Tesla-only, not much use if you decide you want another brand of EV at some future stage.

Also... these things are all wall-mount. Heavy cables all over the floor, that need to be coiled & hung on a hook... yuk. Retractable ceiling mounted charge cables would be much more convenient.

Mucho $$$ needed to do all this - before you even think about driving your new toy home.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 05, 2020, 07:55:51 AM
I visited my buddy who owns a Model 3.  In his garage he has a rather lamely installed Tesla Wall Connector. The electrician had nailed in some blocking and the thing was mounted on that...not even straight. It was ghetto.

That led me to thinking... & it occurred to me that if you're going to retrofit a garage, with all the work installing an extra breaker, all the conduit etc., maybe you should provision for a non-Tesla charging outlet as well. Tesla Connectors are great - Wi-Fi - smart, non-clunky. But you, and prospective future owners of the home, are locking into Tesla-only, not much use if you decide you want another brand of EV at some future stage.

Also... these things are all wall-mount. Heavy cables all over the floor, that need to be coiled & hung on a hook... yuk. Retractable ceiling mounted charge cables would be much more convenient.

Mucho $$$ needed to do all this - before you even think about driving your new toy home.

I've seen them both directly wired, and plugged into a standard 50A plug- do they come direct wire only?

I'd rather have one plugged in; makes portability to the next house, or changing to the next model of charger that much easier.

Any electrician should be able to install a plug correctly.

As for the charging cables, the best solution might be a pneumatic balancer and a cord grip installed in the right place.

afty

Teslas come with a portable charger that has interchangeable connectors so you can plug into a variety of outlets. A lot of people get a NEMA 14-50 receptacle installed (240v, 50 amps) and just use the portable charger.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: afty on June 05, 2020, 09:39:06 AM
Teslas come with a portable charger that has interchangeable connectors so you can plug into a variety of outlets. A lot of people get a NEMA 14-50 receptacle installed (240v, 50 amps) and just use the portable charger.

Same with Bolts. The plug on the portable charger is standard 120v but you can swap it and do 240v. (I assume Europe uses the same charger with a 240v plug standard)
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Morris Minor

Thanks - I'm confused by all the outlet types in the USA - if I'd grown up here it would be instinctive. I'll see if I can find a Dummies Guide to NEMA plugs.
I believe European Teslas have standard charging receptacles - same as on other EVs.

Laconian

CaminoRacer

My boss just bought a 2014 Model S P85. I'll have to get a ride sometime this week.

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on June 07, 2020, 09:36:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4FXYouE7m4
These guys tear down cars & sell the analyses for a living. They like the Y: Tesla implemented a lot of lessons learned from the 3.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkiDlGyJnprdFftxAZ85a5Rp1LlET4Wbr

Laconian

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 08, 2020, 09:20:07 AM
My boss just bought a 2014 Model S P85. I'll have to get a ride sometime this week.

Uh oh. Prepare to be dissatisfied with internal combustion.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on June 08, 2020, 11:22:49 AM
Uh oh. Prepare to be dissatisfied with internal combustion.

I already have a Bolt! I just want to compare it to a Tesla. I've sat in a Model X before but haven't ridden or driven any.

Laconian

I've ridden in my brother's Bolt, afty's 3, and rented an S (base model P70). The Bolt has a great strong shove but gunning the S produces a violent kick in the back. Enjoy.

Morris Minor

To go full Tesla, you need the car, the Powerwall, and the roof. This guy has the first two, but just a regular PV roof setup:
https://youtu.be/9xuleBA4Zcg

r0tor

$1k per share... Shouldn't they be bankrupt by now?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian

Nikola seems like a bigger scam than Tesla. I'd short that shit.