Some drunken clown plowed into my commuter 2014 Focus when it was parked.

Started by shp4man, February 06, 2020, 09:07:24 PM

shp4man

I need a car that gets good mileage, have about $12-13K to work with. Suggestions?  Much as I'd love to drive a '63 Falcon everyday, this commute is a bitch. Need a late model. The Focus is a total loss. At least the bastard missed my truck.
Low mileage used:
Miata?
Another Focus with manual tranny?
Civic with intake and fart can exhaust?  ;)
Something with personality would be nice.

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

Laconian

You'd love how easy Miatas are to work on. Longitudinal engine, plenty of room under the hood, sensibly and reliably built.

veeman

SJ_GTI

Two best suggestions are included above, but from my point of view:

1. If you want to have a fun car that can also be an efficient commuter, Miata really does make a lot of sense. they are small, agile, and get relatively good gas mileage. With the amount available you mentioned in the OP I think you would find a ton of low mileage NC Miata's available.

2. If you just want to most efficient commuter possible, Prius is probably the right answer.

If you wanted something more traditional, another Focus would be fine. I think Civic's are generally considered the best of the class for that type of car, but you are probably going to pay a premium vs a Focus, Cruise, or even Corolla.

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Eye of the Tiger

XJ

Or, you can buy my Fiesta. It has 12,508 miles.
But not if I drive it to Califirnia. :lol:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 07, 2020, 06:41:08 AM
XJ

Or, you can buy my Fiesta. It has 12,508 miles.
But not if I drive it to Califirnia. :lol:

Oddly enough, a Fiesta is a really good option (if he doesn't go the Miata route). Probably more efficient than the Focus and potentially more fun as well.

shp4man

Spent some time looking online. There's a nice '17 Mazda 6, soul red, loaded touring model. Nice, comfortable, quiet car. I spend 2 hours a day driving, so...
A bunch of Miatas. They changed the body style in  '16 I think. Not much price difference. Don't know if it was just a styling update or a redesign.
You guys that own them, are they difficult to get in and out of?

Payman

It's a small and low open sportscar, so I'll not lie and say it isn't any more difficult than say a Fiesta. Getting in is easy, and it coddles you like nothing else. Getting out can be hilarious and painful for us old folk, but it's still worth it.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

shp4man

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 07, 2020, 08:07:10 AM
+1

A Mustang would be easier to get in and out of than a Miata (I think)

There was a nice, drop top, 2.3L Ecoboost Mustang in my price range. Damn thing was white, though. No more white cars.

shp4man

Quote from: Rockraven on February 07, 2020, 08:05:21 AM
It's a small and low open sportscar, so I'll not lie and say it isn't any more difficult than say a Fiesta. Getting in is easy, and it coddles you like nothing else. Getting out can be hilarious and painful for us old folk, but it's still worth it.

What kind of mileage do you get?

shp4man

Quote from: cawimmer430 on February 07, 2020, 06:19:32 AM
New Mitsubishi Space Star? CHEAP and FUEL EFFICIENT.

Mitsubishi has a somewhat less than stellar reputation here. I would opt for that over some other brands, though.

FoMoJo

Quote from: shp4man on February 07, 2020, 07:53:00 AM
Spent some time looking online. There's a nice '17 Mazda 6, soul red, loaded touring model. Nice, comfortable, quiet car. I spend 2 hours a day driving, so...
A bunch of Miatas. They changed the body style in  '16 I think. Not much price difference. Don't know if it was just a styling update or a redesign.
You guys that own them, are they difficult to get in and out of?
I would suggest trying getting in and out of one before doing any serious looking.  A few years ago, when I was about your age, I sat in one at the local auto show.  Surprised me at how much of a struggle getting out of it; and I used to easily slid into and out of an Austin Healey Sprite years ago.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Payman

+1

-1. Much heavier doors. Everything is worse than a Miata (visibility, economy, handling, build quality, reliability, resale value, ease in city, etc). There isn't a single reason to get a Mustang over a Miata, except maybe to carry that extra duffel bag or groceries.

NomisR

Serious answer though, at that price range, a Chevy Volt, the previous gens are running about that price range, and since you work at a dealer, if there's a charging station there, it makes even more sense.  Without charging, you're still looking at 38-42 mpg although the droning of the generator engine might get annoying.

Soup DeVille

+1

Not of you put the Miata on 33s.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MX793

Quote from: Rockraven on February 07, 2020, 08:36:04 AM
-1. Much heavier doors. Everything is worse than a Miata (visibility, economy, handling, build quality, reliability, resale value, ease in city, etc). There isn't a single reason to get a Mustang over a Miata, except maybe to carry that extra duffel bag or groceries.

Agree that the Mustang isn't much easier to get in or out of.  Seating is a little higher, but the doors are much longer, making it a tighter squeeze in crowded parking lots.

In terms of practical luggage capacity, it's no contest.  Mustang has triple the trunk space, and it's useable space by virtue of a large trunk opening (unlike Camaro).  I've loaded my mountain bike into my trunk without having to fold the rear seatbacks down.  And then there's the rear seat area, which isn't particularly useful for carrying people but does offer a nice parcel shelf for additional luggage.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5