Some drunken clown plowed into my commuter 2014 Focus when it was parked.

Started by shp4man, February 06, 2020, 09:07:24 PM

FoMoJo

If you want relative comfort with ease of getting in and out of as well as usable back seats and useful cargo space, check out an Escape.  The little turbo 4 gets decent mileage.  In reality, it's just a taller more sensibly shaped car.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Payman

Quote from: MX793 on February 07, 2020, 09:03:14 AM
Agree that the Mustang isn't much easier to get in or out of.  Seating is a little higher, but the doors are much longer, making it a tighter squeeze in crowded parking lots.

In terms of practical luggage capacity, it's no contest.  Mustang has triple the trunk space, and it's useable space by virtue of a large trunk opening (unlike Camaro).  I've loaded my mountain bike into my trunk without having to fold the rear seatbacks down.  And then there's the rear seat area, which isn't particularly useful for carrying people but does offer a nice parcel shelf for additional luggage.
You bring up a valid point. If he needs to occasionally bring the grandkids anywhere, and they need a child seat, the Mustang would be a better option for him.

shp4man

Practicality is starting to rear it's ugly head. I'm liking that Mazda 6. Nice looking car, and that red shines and glitters in the sun.    ;)

shp4man

I asked a salesman that works here if they still had the Mazda 3 I smogged about two weeks ago. He said ya, then he brought this:

I said, dude, that's not a .....oh, well  :lol:    It's a fully loaded 2011 with 61K on it. Is that hardtop OEM?  I can easily get in and out of it.

veeman

The Mazda Soul Red I find one of the best mainstreamer brand colors out there.  It's fantastic.  I almost bought a Mazda 6 in Soul Red instead of my Crosstrek.  At the time I was looking they offered it with a manual transmission. 

FoMoJo

Quote from: shp4man on February 07, 2020, 11:42:12 AM
I asked a salesman that works here if they still had the Mazda 3 I smogged about two weeks ago. He said ya, then he brought this:

I said, dude, that's not a .....oh, well  :lol:    It's a fully loaded 2011 with 61K on it. Is that hardtop OEM?  I can easily get in and out of it.
Well, that's the one then. :ohyeah:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Payman

Do it. This is the power hardtop one, and the best looking of the NCs, IMO. Join our exclusive club.

shp4man

The thing is, I could actually do this.  :praise:   It's unfortunately an automatic. But that wouldn't be so bad in stop and go traffic. The thing has every option available, paddle shifters, auto A/C....it's clean as hell, the leather on the wheel shows no wear at all. 

CALL_911

See if you can swing an ND, but hell yeah you should look no further than a Miata

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Soup DeVille

The cluelessness of salesmen is astounding to me sometimes.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

You should try to drive one before making a decision. Then you'll know for sure if the seating position works out for you. It'd be a fun test drive regardless. :lol:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

SJ_GTI

I would prefer one with a manual, but I suspect a Miata with an auto is still more fun than 99.9% of other cars on the road.

shp4man

$500 under KBB "fair purchase price". This may be a deal. Some small chips in the paint on the nose. Car looks like it's been garaged. I'm driving it around more over lunch. Just compared to the Focus, it corners like it's on rails. Ride quality isn't too bad, though.

Laconian

Quote from: shp4man on February 07, 2020, 12:32:18 PM
$500 under KBB "fair purchase price". This may be a deal. Some small chips in the paint on the nose. Car looks like it's been garaged. I'm driving it around more over lunch. Just compared to the Focus, it corners like it's on rails. Ride quality isn't too bad, though.

The aftermarket is enormous, and you have the technical ability to wrench it until it's perfect.

The power retracting hard top is an OEM feature.

shp4man

Sitting in the Miata now eating my lunch and listening to the radio. No salesman, thank God.
Folded the top down. Reminds me of those old Ford Sunliners from the '50s.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on February 07, 2020, 01:36:19 PM
Sitting in the Miata now eating my lunch and listening to the radio. No salesman, thank God.
Folded the top down. Reminds me of those old Ford Sunliners from the '50s.

It should also remind you of a Chrysler LeBaron .... :lol:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

Will

Eye of the Tiger

shp4man

I think it's a nice looking car. Maybe minimize that sorry looking front plate and satin black the wheels.

Laconian

I just don't bother with the front plate. The front fascia is so small that a license plate ruins the look. Haven't had a ticket yet (knocks on wood)

Payman

Quote from: shp4man on February 07, 2020, 08:05:28 PM
I think it's a nice looking car. Maybe minimize that sorry looking front plate and satin black the wheels.

Are you buying it? Don't blacken the wheels, they're nice as is.

shp4man

Quote from: Rockraven on February 07, 2020, 09:03:57 PM

Need the payout from the dead Focus to put down. I also have to talk the wife into it. She just doesn't get it. Fun? With a car? What's that?  ;)

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

shp4man

Laconian

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rockraven on February 07, 2020, 09:03:57 PM

Yeah, don't blacken the wheels. Put steelies on it. :lol:

FoMoJo

Quote from: shp4man on February 07, 2020, 09:08:16 PM
Need the payout from the dead Focus to put down. I also have to talk the wife into it. She just doesn't get it. Fun? With a car? What's that?  ;)
Put the top down and take her for a ride in the country.  However, I know what you mean.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger