Honda bucks industry trend by removing touchscreen controls

Started by Morris Minor, April 03, 2020, 02:31:02 PM

Morris Minor

Reading between the lines here, but the breakthrough discovery that manufacturers have made, after spending many years and billions of dollars on research, is our fingers have this thing that they have named the Sense of Touch™.
This allows drivers to know, with very little distraction from the task of driving, that their fingers are on these things called "buttons" (sorry for the technical jargon) that can be used for controlling functions in their cars.

----------------
Japanese firm reckons new tech is "difficult to operate intuitively" for functions such as air conditioning, moving against growing industry norm
Honda has done what no other car maker is doing, and returned to analogue controls for some functions on the new Honda Jazz.

While most manufacturers are moving to touchscreen controls, identifying smartphone use as their inspiration - most recently seen in Audi's latest A3 - Honda has decided to reintroduce heating and air conditioning controls via a dial rather than touchscreen, as in the previous-generation Jazz.

More... https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-geneva-motor-show/honda-bucks-industry-trend-removing-touchscreen-controls
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

shp4man

FoMoJo

The only use of a touch screen I prefer is for navigation.  It's just easier to type in the address.  All other controls should be removed.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MX793

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 03, 2020, 03:02:19 PM
The only use of a touch screen I prefer is for navigation.  It's just easier to type in the address.  All other controls should be removed.

I prefer a physical scroll and click device, akin to that on early iPods.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Thing is Japanese infotainment efforts have been absolutely terrible - the worst of the industry, esp. Lexus.

Apple and Android implementations weren't the panacea there were thought to be. Mobile OS is designed to hook you - not good in a car, and it hasn't gone too well either.

Gesture and voice control are the pet rocks of infotainment.

Audi's new (2020+) mid level (A4, A5, Q5) implementation is the best I've seen. Hard buttons for HVAC, radio, seat heaters, etc, but touchscreen for nav, car setup, etc. It's still not great though.

Tesla's approach - simple steering wheel controls + mostly touchscreen and make stuff as automatic/heuristic as possible, with no possibility of mobile OS - might work well. Dunno. Worth a shot.

r0tor

Mazda ditched touchscreens as well I thought. 

I was proud Alfa resisted touchscreens but looks like they added them (albeit in addition to the control knob) for 2020 due to customer complaints... But they still have all functionality outside of the radio with physical buttons at least.

Android Auto and Carplay need to die.  If fingering your phone is illegal, why is fingering a screen with a replicated mobile OS alright?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian

Quote from: r0tor on April 03, 2020, 07:14:05 PM
Mazda ditched touchscreens as well I thought. 

Yup, starting with the latest Mazda 3.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CALL_911

If they do it right, like iDrive, the knob is IMO the best way to do things. My car's iDrive is from before they added touchscreen capability and it's such a pleasure to use. Touchscreens suck in a moving object.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

MrH

Mazda's is probably my favorite mainstream system now. The new 3's is really really good. It sits really high up in your line of sight too.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

cawimmer430

I like touchscreens. But they have to be properly done, and some essential controls should be classic button-to-touch/operate.

In today's world it should be no problem with advanced and responsive touch screens and voice control. I like the setup in my A-Class for example where I can control things via 1) touchscreen 2) mouse pad or 3) voice control. Things I use a lot and want quick access to like the A/C controls are still physical buttons or voice control. I can't speak for other cars but the general layout and quick-response of MBUX works well for me. I don't find it distracting at all, especially since I know where everything is and can blindly operate it IF I decide to engage some functions and their sub-functions via touchscreen.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

2o6

This is such a clickbait-y article; the only thing they removed is the ability to adjust climate control from the screen. The audio and other system settings are the same.

Android auto and Apple Carplay are generally fine for most users, and I'd argue that mazda removing touch functionality was not a smart move, since Carplay and Android auto were designed to be a touch interface.

In my experience, Hyundai and GM (not Cadillac) have some of the best infotainment out there - it's slick looking, but simple. Also the units themselves are very snappy, so there's no lagging from inputs.

Ford's has always been convoluted and too complicated. Honda's is functional, but ugly. I've never liked Mazda's either - it always felt like something that looked good in a sketch but performed too slow in real life. Unconnect is ok enough I guess.

All of these manufacturers need to take a UI/UX class. The objective to distinguish information quickly on the move should be the goal. Too many menus, too many functions, or too many typefaces could ruin that.

I don't think touchscreen infotainment is a problem, I think it's a great way to add functionality to the driving experience. I fail to see how changing the track on a touchscreen head unit is anything different from using the "seek" button on your regular radio.

AutobahnSHO

Kind of agree, but I can skip tracks without looking. I know where the button is and what it Feels like. Same with volume, wipers, fan, temp, radio presets, radio power, phone pickup/hangup (JVC deck) and other stuff.
Will

r0tor

The best infotainment is the one that disappears from the driver
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian

Quote from: r0tor on April 05, 2020, 07:45:43 PM
The best infotainment is the one that disappears from the driver

I wish cars had the ability to turn off all but the most essential instrument lights at night. That would make for nice night driving atmosphere.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on April 05, 2020, 07:49:02 PM
I wish cars had the ability to turn off all but the most essential instrument lights at night. That would make for nice night driving atmosphere.

Several do. Even the Dodge does, but it was a couple menus deep.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MX793

Didn't Saab used to have a function for that?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

CaminoRacer

Bolts can turn off the infotainment screen. But just about anything will turn it back on again. Kinda annoying that you can't tell it turn off and stay off until you push the on/off button again.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

Morris Minor

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 06, 2020, 04:45:26 AM
Yep.

I love that. I wonder if it would stop people inferring from illuminated dash instruments that their headlights must be on.

Nah probably not.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Laconian

Wow. Why didn't that catch on? That must be a sublime experience.

CALL_911

Quote from: Laconian on April 06, 2020, 05:24:41 PM
Wow. Why didn't that catch on? That must be a sublime experience.

It was. I loved that feature

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

giant_mtb

In my A4, I could turn the infotaiment screen off. If you gave an input via the physical controls (HVAC, etc) the screen would pop on to give you a visual of the changes, but would then turn off a few seconds after any input was received. It was nice for long drives at night. And even now, I find myself dimming the dash lights on my ancient 2005 Tacoma on long night drives because it just makes forward visibility that much better.

AutobahnSHO

Yup. My wife cranks it up whenever she drives though.
Will

WookieOnRitalin

1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

Submariner

The 9-3 with the turbo and AWD is an appealing car to this day.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

cawimmer430

Best and least-distracting infotainment systems. BMW and Mercedes-Benz (MBUX) in 1st and 2nd place respectively. I can attest that MBUX is awesome, it does not take long to get used to it.  ;)

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2020/04/infotainment-tech-study-finds-least-and-most-distracting-systems/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Speed_Racer

Quote from: Submariner on April 14, 2020, 11:31:51 PM
The 9-3 with the turbo and AWD is an appealing car to this day.

There was a guy in my previous neighborhood who had a 9-3 TurboX combi that sounded really mean every time he passed by. Cool car for sure!

veeman

Never ridden in a Saab but they did look very good.  Never read a multicar comparo from an American automag in which a Saab was included and didn't finish near the bottom of rankings.  It was always - hey this is a great car but turbo lag, turbo affect on the steering at full throttle, and expensive.  Then GM acquired it, did a bunch of cost cutting by sharing platforms etc.  There was this Saab WRX thing and Saab Trailblazer thing, and ...  that was the last agonal breaths of a dying company.