Porous, spongelike medium for H2 storage

Started by Laconian, April 19, 2020, 12:07:43 PM

cawimmer430

Quote from: mzziaz on April 21, 2020, 02:21:47 PM
I think wims just really want ICE cars to survive. I can definitely understand that.

It's hard to adapt to a "new technology" when you've grown up with an "old technology" which just seemed so normal and worked. I love the ICE. I love how the torque builds up, how it sounds, how the transmission reacts with the engine, how it feels... it's an emotional thing to me. EVs just feel so soulless to me.

Also, I do not see any advantages for me in owning an EV, because frankly I don't care about emissions, CO2 etc. An EV is also not practical for my driving needs. One day I got a project in the city, the next day I got a project a little further away. I need a car with range or that at least can be refueled quickly. Another thing: electricity is not cheap in Germany. We have the second highest electricity costs in the world. Some EV charging stations in Munich demand 70 cents per kWh!!!
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MX793

Quote from: cawimmer430 on April 22, 2020, 12:06:36 PM
I'm no chemist or engineer, and I believe it that a lot of energy is required to produce this fuel, but I also believe that there are really smart people working on this attempting to simplify the process while yielding more results and using less energy.

The energy needed to produce synthetic fuel for example can be derived from overproduction from wind, solar, hydro etc. There are a handful of companies in Germany, in the north, which produce hydrogen from excess power generated mainly by offshore and inland wind power plants. Instead of letting that energy go to waste, use it for the production of hydrogen and synthetic fuel.

And this is another argument to use nuclear power, especially in Germany which had advanced and safe nuclear power plants. But Merkel was afraid of Tsunamis in Japan wrecking havoc in German nuclear power plants... in Germany... literally.

I do believe the future will be mixed: EVs, Fuel Cell, Synthetic Fuels and perhaps something else will come along. I'm just not excited about pure EVs, which aside from being fast, don't do much for me in terms of emotions. Yeah, they're less maintenance-intensive than an ICE, but some of us think with our emotions, not our wallets.   :praise:

One important takeaway from my post is that it is idealized.  Those numbers represent perfect efficiency (which is physically impossible).  That is the best case scenario.

Simply offsetting 10% of US gasoline consumption would require over 500 terawatt-hours per year of power just to combine CO2 and H2O into fuel.  That's as much electricity as all of Germany produces in a year from all sources combined (wind, nuclear, solar, coal, etc).  Best case scenario.  And, again, that's just the idealized power required to make octane from CO2 and H2O, not gathering the CO2 from the air or any other supporting processes associated with making synthetic gasoline.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

IOW, it's physically and logistically impossible for synthetic fuels to keep the ICE dream alive.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MX793

Quote from: Laconian on April 22, 2020, 12:40:57 PM
IOW, it's physically and logistically impossible for synthetic fuels to keep the ICE dream alive.

Unless we more than double the number of powerplants globally, or master cold fusion, I don't see synthetic hydrocarbons fuels being anything more than a niche product, sold in relatively low volume, catered to vintage car collectors so they can still drive their antiques every once in a while.  Basically like super-high octane racing fuels today.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

My guess is that fossil fuels will be used in some form for the foreseeable future, especially for cargo/freight. So diesel's safe, at least. Not sure about gasoline - that's much more of a consumer product.

MX793

Quote from: Laconian on April 22, 2020, 01:23:23 PM
My guess is that fossil fuels will be used in some form for the foreseeable future, especially for cargo/freight. So diesel's safe, at least. Not sure about gasoline - that's much more of a consumer product.

We could produce "renewable" bio fuels like ethanol or biodiesel easily enough.  But the notion of making synthetic hydrocarbon fuels from CO2 and water in large enough quantities to make a dent is not feasible without some other kind of major technological breakthrough is power generation.
Needs more Jiggawatts

cawimmer430

Quote from: MX793 on April 22, 2020, 12:34:30 PM
One important takeaway from my post is that it is idealized.  Those numbers represent perfect efficiency (which is physically impossible).  That is the best case scenario.

Simply offsetting 10% of US gasoline consumption would require over 500 terawatt-hours per year of power just to combine CO2 and H2O into fuel.  That's as much electricity as all of Germany produces in a year from all sources combined (wind, nuclear, solar, coal, etc).  Best case scenario.  And, again, that's just the idealized power required to make octane from CO2 and H2O, not gathering the CO2 from the air or any other supporting processes associated with making synthetic gasoline.

I hope that the process will be simplified so that more can be produced while using drastically less energy. I'm a believer! :lol:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Laconian on April 22, 2020, 12:40:57 PM

Unless there is a good mix in the future of EVs, Fuel Cell and Synthetic Fuel. There are companies worldwide researching this, attempting to improve the process. I don't think they'd invest resources, time and money into this if they thought it's a dead end.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

CaminoRacer

Quote from: cawimmer430 on April 23, 2020, 10:22:43 AM
Unless there is a good mix in the future of EVs, Fuel Cell and Synthetic Fuel. There are companies worldwide researching this, attempting to improve the process. I don't think they'd invest resources, time and money into this if they thought it's a dead end.

Daimler just ended hydrogen fuel cell development of cars because it's too expensive compared to EV.

https://electrek.co/2020/04/22/daimler-ends-hydrogen-car-development-because-its-too-costly/
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

Quote from: cawimmer430 on April 23, 2020, 10:22:43 AM
I don't think they'd invest resources, time and money into this if they thought it's a dead end.

Government: "Save the planet! $10B worth of grants for carbon-neutral R&D research!"
Bosch: "Uh, yeah, sure, this thing is totally gonna happen. Now gimme dat money. "
Government: "OK, u can haz money."
Bosch: "Money!"

MX793

Quote from: cawimmer430 on April 23, 2020, 10:20:47 AM
I hope that the process will be simplified so that more can be produced while using drastically less energy. I'm a believer! :lol:

Faith cannot overcome laws of physics.  Conservation of mass and energy are science law.  You can't make something from nothing.  If burning a liter of octane gives off 33.8 MJ of energy, producing a liter of octane cannot require less than 33.8 MJ or else the balance is broken.  The absolute least energy required to produce synthetic octane is what I've shown in my math.  Not including the energy consumption involved in harvesting and processing CO2 from the air.
Needs more Jiggawatts

cawimmer430

I'm curious. Do you guys really want the ICE to die!?  :cry:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

SJ_GTI

Quote from: cawimmer430 on April 24, 2020, 02:33:33 PM

Wanting something REALLY REALLY HARD doesn't change reality.

cawimmer430

Quote from: SJ_GTI on April 24, 2020, 02:40:58 PM
Wanting something REALLY REALLY HARD doesn't change reality.

I just can't see EVs working for the entire world and for everyone. That's also a reality.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Laconian

Quote from: cawimmer430 on April 24, 2020, 02:43:02 PM
I just can't see EVs working for the entire world and for everyone. That's also a reality.

I agree, there are diminishing returns the harder you work to make EVs ubiquitous. There will still be diesel and ethanol to power the ICEs that need huge energy storage.

shp4man

It won't. Emerging nations will be using it much longer. Lots of oil left.

MX793

Quote from: Laconian on April 24, 2020, 02:50:08 PM
I agree, there are diminishing returns the harder you work to make EVs ubiquitous. There will still be diesel and ethanol to power the ICEs that need huge energy storage.

The real limiting factor with BEVs right now is battery capacity paired with recharging time.  Range is on the low side compared to an ICE powered car, and that's paired with recharge times that take much longer than an ICE.  The shorter range would be tolerable if a charge up was as fast as an ICE car.  The longer recharge times would be more tolerable if they had much more range.  However, remember that even a "big" battery doesn't hold much energy compared to a fuel tank.  75kWh is the equivalent energy released from burning about 7 liters (1.8 gallons) of diesel fuel or 8.3 liters (2.2 gallons) of gasoline.  Imagine a car going over 200 miles on so little fuel.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Laconian

Quote from: shp4man on April 24, 2020, 03:01:44 PM
It won't. Emerging nations will be using it much longer. Lots of oil left.

Trucks, tractors, mopeds. Glorious-sounding V8s will probably be gone - it's not like Ferraris are bound in any way by practicality.

AutobahnSHO

No. But they are NOT the most efficient machines. So much is lost to heat from every cylinder explosion.
Will

Laconian

I think my biggest regret with losing the ICE will be the loss of manual transmissions, but they're essentially all dead anyways...

MX793

Quote from: Laconian on April 24, 2020, 06:07:11 PM
I think my biggest regret with losing the ICE will be the loss of manual transmissions, but they're essentially all dead anyways...

Besides transmissions, the general character that a drivetrain lends to a vehicle.  Different engine notes, different shaped power bands.  Some cars have early torque and no top end, others come to life when the tach needle crosses a certain threshold.  Electric motors all have the exact same power delivery characteristics and all pretty much sound the same, too.  The only difference from vehicle to vehicle will be power to weight ratio.

Then again, just as MTs have pretty much died out, the ubiquity of the 2.0T engine configuration these days is kind of priming us all for the monotony of powertrain character that is to come.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Soup DeVille

It won't.

We still have steam engines.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

Steam's external combustion ;).

But no, ICE ain't going anywhere. EV's are a dog that just don't hunt.

cawimmer430

I just feel that the future of mobility should be mixed. EVs make sense for those who literally just drive short distances in the city and never venture outside. But for those of us who require more range and faster refueling, an EV does not make sense, especially in its current state. Teslas might be the exception, but all of the more affordable EVs like the Nissan Leaf, Renault Zoe etc. have drastic range drawbacks the moment you turn on the radio - literally.  :tounge:

Quote from: MX793 on April 24, 2020, 05:03:54 PM
The real limiting factor with BEVs right now is battery capacity paired with recharging time.  Range is on the low side compared to an ICE powered car, and that's paired with recharge times that take much longer than an ICE.  The shorter range would be tolerable if a charge up was as fast as an ICE car.  The longer recharge times would be more tolerable if they had much more range.  However, remember that even a "big" battery doesn't hold much energy compared to a fuel tank.  75kWh is the equivalent energy released from burning about 7 liters (1.8 gallons) of diesel fuel or 8.3 liters (2.2 gallons) of gasoline.  Imagine a car going over 200 miles on so little fuel.

^THIS!^  :ohyeah:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

CaminoRacer

EVs have insanely efficient motors paired with inefficient energy storage tanks.
ICEs have inefficient motors paired with insanely efficient energy storage tanks.

cawimmer430

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 25, 2020, 11:08:01 AM
EVs have insanely efficient motors paired with inefficient energy storage tanks.
ICEs have inefficient motors paired with insanely efficient energy storage tanks.

So what we need is an electric motor that burns gasoline/diesel.  :tounge:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

CaminoRacer

Quote from: cawimmer430 on April 25, 2020, 11:19:27 AM
So what we need is an electric motor that burns gasoline/diesel.  :tounge:

Finding the solutions to both inefficiencys would be awesome. Both EV and ICE vehicles could travel 1,000-1,500 miles on a single tank.

ICE development has come a long way from the 60/70s. Emissions are down, mileage is up. Still a long way to go, though. ICE thermal efficiency is like 30-40% compared to electric motors at 90-98%.

My Bolt battery is the equivalent of about 2 gallons of gas, so it's got about the same amount of improvement needed.

cawimmer430

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 25, 2020, 11:25:29 AM
Finding the solutions to both inefficiencys would be awesome. Both EV and ICE vehicles could travel 1,000-1,500 miles on a single tank.

ICE development has come a long way from the 60/70s. Emissions are down, mileage is up. Still a long way to go, though. ICE thermal efficiency is like 30-40% compared to electric motors at 90-98%.

My Bolt battery is the equivalent of about 2 gallons of gas, so it's got about the same amount of improvement needed.

Yeah, the efficiency of the ICE engine has been improved big time, but it's still nowhere near an electric motor.

If memory serves me right, I saw or read something awhile back which stated it was theoretically possible to get a gasoline engine to run at 40%+ efficiency and a Diesel at 47%+ efficiency.

Will be interesting to see what the future will hold in store for us. Fuel Cell seems dead... so EV or synthetic fuels (I still believe in them...).  :mask:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Laconian

The 40% and 47% numbers seem pretty far removed from where we're at today.

Laconian

The Model 3's permanent magnet reluctance motors are apparently 97% efficient at converting energy into motion. So replace that "Engine Losses - 68-72% loss" with "3%". And the "parasitic losses" part would probably be at a similar number, albeit for cabin heaters and battery temp management.