Lockdown Air Quality & EVs

Started by Morris Minor, April 25, 2020, 02:43:22 PM

Has the clean air changed your buying preferences?

No - Low prices for gasoline & new cars make an ICE purchase a no-brainer
4 (57.1%)
Yes - This makes me want an EV.
3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Morris Minor

My family is telling me you can now see the London skyline from tens of miles away. Nights are cooler. The sky is bluer.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Morris Minor on April 25, 2020, 02:43:22 PM
My family is telling me you can now see the London skyline from tens of miles away. Nights are cooler. The sky is bluer.

I have always been able to see Detroit on clear days from about 20-25 miles from the right vantage points.

I'm kind of skeptical about a lot of these statements about air being suddenly cleaner and think people are just noticing it more.

For one thing, cars are exceptionally clean now for particulates, and for another, the atmosphere is a really big thing that doesn't change that quickly.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 25, 2020, 03:02:29 PM
I have always been able to see Detroit on clear days from about 20-25 miles from the right vantage points.

I'm kind of skeptical about a lot of these statements about air being suddenly cleaner and think people are just noticing it more.

For one thing, cars are exceptionally clean now for particulates, and for another, the atmosphere is a really big thing that doesn't change that quickly.

Lots of diesels in the London area, and diesel particulate controls are relatively recent.

Also, DI gasoline engines have relatively high particulate emissions (on par with pre-trap diesels) and few, if any, have any kind of particulate traps.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Morris Minor

Also it occurred to there are virtually no planes over London. They put out more stuff in one takeoff than any individual could in a lifetime of driving.
Nonetheless - I'm inclined to an EV.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

GoCougs

It's the diesels, 95%+ from commercial rigs, which don't have the same emissions oversight.

And yes, regional air quality can change in a couple of weeks. Diesels are (that) nasty.

GoCougs

And airline travel is a ginormous source of pollution and the planet should be doing WAY less of it, which would happen naturally if the jet makers and airlines were left to their own devices (i.e., not SOE/nationalized) - airline travel is naturally hugely more expensive than it is.

giant_mtb

No. lol

Rural people don't give one fuck about EVs.

GoCougs

Read the Funny Business Tesla is up to, esp. on their cars bought used, such as disabling features and sometime the entire car. No fucking way I'm letting anyone have absolute control over my car's OS.Perhaps GM, Porsche, Nissan, etc., aren't doing that, but nobody's buying those EVs (well, except for the Bolt, but not by much).

Left alone this downturn is kills EVs, at least by the legacy automakers. Such as it was, very few citizens could afford EVs, and no automaker can make money selling them. Maybe we get an EV version of C4C - C4EVs anyone? Still won't change the unsustainable situation of EVs.

FoMoJo

Not suddenly cleaner, but much cleaner over the past 30+ years.

My daily route from 30+ years ago took me across the moraine North of the city.  Early on, on a clear windless morning, I would see a dirty brown haze hanging over the city, mostly from transit buses I suspected.  Prior to retiring, 10+ years ago, it simply wasn't there.

Visible pollution seems to have been cleaned up, but now living 20 km from the airport, my wife's sinus/asthma situation has quickly deteriorated.  Not much visible, but returning after a day trip outside the city, the smell is there.  Still lots of man made shit in the air we breathe. 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Galaxy

I think in general that might be one positive we can take from this crisis. Not just the air pollution, also the clean water in many harbours, with dolphins back in them,  and the Venice canals having crystal clear water. It is an eye opener. 

veeman

Beijing had noticeable better air quality at the 2008 Olympics because they shut down nearby factories and cut auto traffic for a few months prior to the games.