VW Previews Facelifted 2020 California 6.1 Camper Van

Started by cawimmer430, July 02, 2019, 08:32:41 AM

cawimmer430

VW Previews Facelifted 2020 California 6.1 Camper Van

Earlier this year Volkswagen debuted the facelifted Transporter 6.1 lineup, including the Multivan people carrier.

The next member of the T6 family to be released is the facelifted California, and these two official sketches provide a first taste of what we should expect from the revised camper van.

On the outside, it looks like the California 6.1 will adopt the same design updates as the Multivan 6.1 on which it is based. Changes include a new, bigger grille, new headlights and a new front bumper featuring revised fog lights and a chunky black trim that spans the entire width of the bumper.

More interesting modifications are taking place inside. The living and sleeping areas of the California 6.1 have been enhanced and optimized, while the multifunctional camper control unit in the roof console has been redesigned and digitalized.

As with the Multivan, the dashboard has been overhauled with new instruments (available as a Digital Cockpit for the first time) and a new online infotainment systems that offer integrated eSIM enabling access to mobile online services.

The facelifted VW California switches to electromechanical power steering as well, allowing for the adoption of new assistance systems like Lane Assist, Side Protection, Trailer Assist and side-wind compensation.

The California 6.1 will launch with a 2.0-liter TDI with outputs of up to 199 PS (146 kW / 196 hp). The world premiere of the refreshed camper van will take place in late August at the Caravan-Salon in Düsseldorf, Germany.

VW sold more than 18,000 California camper vans in 2018, making it the best-selling model in its class – and sure hopes that its replacement will enjoy the same success.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/07/vw-previews-facelifted-2020-california-6-1-camper-van/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

CaminoRacer

A bit silly that they don't even sell it in California...
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

cawimmer430

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 02, 2019, 10:44:19 AM
A bit silly that they don't even sell it in California...

Didn't they sell it in the US in the past as the "Vanagon" or "California" van?

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Galaxy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 03, 2019, 12:35:11 PM

Yeah, and then it became the Eurovan.  :lol:

I think they are contemplating bringing it back to the US in some form, US journalists where shown the California Grand a few weeks ago.

Payman

Did they use a 20 yr old Chevy Astro for inspiration?

BimmerM3

Quote from: Rockraven on July 03, 2019, 08:12:29 PM
Did they use a 20 yr old Chevy Astro for inspiration?

Well, I guess the Astro did predate the Eurovan, so maybe via that chain of events.

93JC

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 03, 2019, 12:35:11 PM

Quote from: Galaxy on July 03, 2019, 12:44:49 PM
Yeah, and then it became the Eurovan.  :lol:

To be clear:

• the first and second-generation VW vans, what you might call the classic 'Bulli', was sold in North America as simply the 'Bus'
• the third-generation van, the last of the rear-engine, rear-drive vans introduced in 1979, was called Vanagon
• the fourth-generation van, the first front-engine, front-drive one, was called Eurovan (although the commercial version, at least in Canada, was called the Transporter)
• the fifth-generation vans were not sold in the US and Canada; the VW Routan—a rebadged Dodge Grand Caravan (built in Canada)—was sold here instead
• VW has not sold a van in the US and Canada since the Routan was cancelled—i.e. the sixth-generation "Transporter" or whatever you want to call it has never been sold here.

shp4man

It looks like a Chip Foose custom. And ya, kind of like an Asrto.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 93JC on July 04, 2019, 04:44:10 PM
To be clear:

• the first and second-generation VW vans, what you might call the classic 'Bulli', was sold in North America as simply the 'Bus'
• the third-generation van, the last of the rear-engine, rear-drive vans introduced in 1979, was called Vanagon
• the fourth-generation van, the first front-engine, front-drive one, was called Eurovan (although the commercial version, at least in Canada, was called the Transporter)
• the fifth-generation vans were not sold in the US and Canada; the VW Routan—a rebadged Dodge Grand Caravan (built in Canada)—was sold here instead
• VW has not sold a van in the US and Canada since the Routan was cancelled—i.e. the sixth-generation "Transporter" or whatever you want to call it has never been sold here.

:cheers:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

AutobahnSHO

Ugh, only 149 HP is dismal in that size vehicle (here)...
My 2003 minivan has 215?..
Will

BimmerM3

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 16, 2019, 08:00:12 PM
Ugh, only 149 HP is dismal in that size vehicle (here)...
My 2003 minivan has 215?..

196 hp.  146 is the kW conversion.

Still not exactly a speed demon, but a lot better.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: BimmerM3 on July 16, 2019, 08:38:16 PM
196 hp.  146 is the kW conversion.

Still not exactly a speed demon, but a lot better.

Gotcha, silly me not reading.

I can't think of a single US minivan that weak.
Pacifica= 287hp
Sienna= 296hp
Odyssey= 280hp
2003 Odyssey= 240hp

Pathetic considering this is a new model.
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 17, 2019, 08:52:29 AM
Gotcha, silly me not reading.

I can't think of a single US minivan that weak.
Pacifica= 287hp
Sienna= 296hp
Odyssey= 280hp
2003 Odyssey= 240hp

Pathetic considering this is a new model.

...it's a diesel. 

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 17, 2019, 09:04:19 AM
...it's a diesel. 

yeah yeah. :)

You should have called me on the "US vs Germany" first. :lol:
Will

Galaxy

There was a VR6 available with like 260hp, but no one bought it, so it was cancelled.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Galaxy on July 17, 2019, 09:23:16 AM
There was a VR6 available with like 260hp, but no one bought it, so it was cancelled.

Funny enough hardly anyone bought the 6-cylinder Subarus either.
Will

AltinD

Quote from: Galaxy on July 17, 2019, 09:23:16 AM

Some people I know have one (in addition to 3 Bentleys and a G63 AMG), but did they had the 3.2 or the 3.6?

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

Eye of the Tiger

VR6 is cool, and so is W8, but I really want to see an X3.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)