Production 2020 Honda e Bows With RWD, 0-100 KM/H In 8 Sec

Started by cawimmer430, September 06, 2019, 09:35:06 AM

cawimmer430

Production 2020 Honda e Bows With RWD, 0-100 KM/H In 8 Sec

We already knew that the Honda e Prototype was going to be 99 percent identical to the production car – and now we have official confirmation.

The carmaker has released the first images of the e in final mass production form, and the EV looks just like the pre-production concept that previewed it. The Honda e will debut officially at the Frankfurt Motor Show next week.

Honda will offer two electric motor options, one delivering 100 kW (136 PS / 134 hp) and the other 113 kW (154 PS / 152 hp) and a peak torque of 315 Nm (232 lb-ft), with the latter being quite brisk, sprinting from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in approximately 8 seconds.

The battery has a capacity of 35.5 kWh and is described by the automaker as one of the most compact in its class. Despite that, it delivers a range of up to 220 km (137 miles) from a single charge which Honda believes is "perfect for every day urban commuting." Thanks to fast-charging capability, the battery can be recharged to 80 percent capacity in 30 minutes.

Given the rear-wheel-drive setup, the Honda e promises a responsive and fun experience on the road, with a sporty and connected feel.

As promised, the rearview cameras and pop-out door handles have made it to the production car, giving the Honda e an upscale, futuristic look. The Side Camera Mirror System is a first in the compact segment and Honda claims it brings "significant benefits for styling, safety, aerodynamics and refinement."

The interior has remained true to the Honda e Prototype as well boasting a five-screen full-width digital dashboard and connected infotainment system. The dual 12.3-inch LCD touchscreens acting as the primary infotainment displays treat the driver and the front passenger equally ensuring they can enjoy the same connectivity and comfort.

Artificial intelligence is also present onboard courtesy of the Honda Personal Assistant service which uses "unique contextual understanding to create natural conversations and provide access to a range of online services." The user can activate the Honda Personal Assistant by saying, "OK Honda", followed by the question or instruction.

While away from the car, owners can still remain connected to it using the My Honda+ smartphone app which allows access to vehicle status reports, battery charge control, range monitor, remote climate control, as well as security and location monitoring. The app also enables users to lock and unlock the car.

Reservations for priority ordering online are currently open in the UK, Germany, France, and Norway. Prices haven't been announced yet.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/09/2020-honda-e-does-0-100-km-h-in-8-seconds-here-it-is-in-production-guise/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MrH

It won't  :frown:

Even if it did, it would be too expensive.  If it came over for <$20k, I 100% would buy one and then an older Land Cruiser or 4Runner for road trips, but sadly, this car won't come over.  If it does, it'll be in 5 years and be $40k probably
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Xer0

I'm hopeful man.  This thing would be amazing in Chicago and its small enough, and batteries tiny enough, that I think it honestly won't be that expensive.  I guess we'll see what the Euro price ends up being.

MrH

UK target pricing is 27,500 pounds, and that's with a 3,500 pound incentive.  That's 31,000 pounds.  I just looked at Honda's website over there.  A Civic Type R is around the same price, so if we just use that as a rough baseline, we're talking $36k for it over here :cry:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Xer0

Damn, that is more than I hoped it would be  :mask:

Where do you see the price though?  I just see the option to reserve on the Honda UK site, but no actual price.

afty

This thing looks so fun. $36k is a bit much though even with tax credits. For $30k - $7500 Federal tax credit it would be a great deal.

12,000 RPM

I don't understand the excitement. Even at the same price as any Civic 1.5T, this is a worse car in every way I can think of besides the oil dilution issue and having to fuel up at a gas station. And it's like $10K more than a Touring :confused:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Submariner

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 06, 2019, 11:00:08 AM
I don't understand the excitement. Even at the same price as any Civic 1.5T, this is a worse car in every way I can think of besides the oil dilution issue and having to fuel up at a gas station. And it's like $10K more than a Touring :confused:

But its eeeeveeeee maaaaan!

I get it: it's cute and quirky and hip, but as a value proposition, it's a dud (can you get a non 1.5t Civic?)
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

12,000 RPM

They do make a base N/A 2.0L, but I'd honestly roll the dice on a 1.5T than relive the wheeze of my old 1.8L Civic (the power+torque/weight is basically identical)

Laconian

It's a little expensive, but Mini plays just fine in this segment/price range.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

SJ_GTI

I'd be interested in it.

I hear you guys on a pure price/practicality POV, but this thing is small, electric and RWD. I could see this being more fun to drive than my Golf R.

NomisR

I wish it had more range.  137miles European standards probably means about 20 miles less on EPA measurements.  There's more of the risk of range anxiety over that. 

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

Quote from: NomisR on September 06, 2019, 02:31:17 PM
I wish it had more range.  137miles European standards probably means about 20 miles less on EPA measurements.  There's more of the risk of range anxiety over that. 

"most compact battery" is nothing to brag about unless their energy storage density is somehow twice as good. which it's not.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Morris Minor

The side-view door cameras aren't allowed the the USA.
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/08/nhtsa-will-look-at-allowing-mirrorless-side-camera-systems-on-new-cars/

(The US is stuck with inferior headlights too.)
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

cawimmer430

Quote from: NomisR on September 06, 2019, 02:31:17 PM

I'm the first one to complain about range, but in this case the range is sufficient for what it is; a pure city car. The typical buyer of this car will use it primarily in the city with an occasional trip or two outwards into the suburbs and beyond, but all within the range of the car. Same deal for the MINI Electric and the next generation of pure EV Smarts.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Laconian

Quote from: SJ_GTI on September 06, 2019, 01:13:39 PM
I'd be interested in it.

I hear you guys on a pure price/practicality POV, but this thing is small, electric and RWD. I could see this being more fun to drive than my Golf R.

8s 0-60 is like an electric Soul. Snore!

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on September 07, 2019, 07:58:19 PM
8s 0-60 is like an electric Soul. Snore!

Quick enough. I'd like to try one, if it was under 30 grand and available in the states.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MrH

Electric cars are too limited to be my only vehicle. Instead, they need to be cheap enough to be a commuter car for me, and then have enough money leftover for something for road trips.

Something like this with 100 miles of range for cheap is way more enticing than something like a model 3 as my only vehicle.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

12,000 RPM

I feel like the economics of that setup won't be cheaper or higher value than one do it all gas car. Unless you have free charging or a good time of use rate charging isn't even that cheaper than gassing up a decent hybrid. Plus then you have double the insurance and property tax

Laconian

30kWh means you can drive 150mi for $3 if gas is $0.10 per kWh. Hybrids don't come close!

12,000 RPM

I don't think you're gonna get 5 miles per kWh anywhere outside of an SAE contest

Real average is more like 3.5... not far from 50 MPG at $2/gal

CaminoRacer

My average is 4-4.2 mi/kw

Where is gas $2? it's currently around $2.70 here and unless the Saudis dump all their stuff on the market again I don't see it going lower anytime soon. If you're paying the same amount for an electric car as you do for gas, something is very, very wrong.

CaminoRacer

This Honda seems like a below-average effort, IMO. Lower range, lower acceleration, yet the same price (from what we can tell) as a Bolt.

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 08, 2019, 12:32:27 PM
I feel like the economics of that setup won't be cheaper or higher value than one do it all gas car. Unless you have free charging or a good time of use rate charging isn't even that cheaper than gassing up a decent hybrid. Plus then you have double the insurance and property tax

Of course the economics don't work out exactly.  Everyone's cheapest bet is probably buy a used Prius and be done with it.  I was just laying out what the scenario would have to be for me to jump in.

Car insurance doesn't grow linearly as you add cars for a single driver.  Insurance companies realize you can only drive one car at a time.

Property tax???
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Galaxy

For the German website they have really phoned in their work.

fussy pictures

and then there is this gem:

The title reads "throttle plate control for collision avoidance."  Aha. Probably copied the text from an ICE car without turning on the brain.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 08, 2019, 12:32:27 PM

Property tax?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on September 08, 2019, 01:56:22 PM
Of course the economics don't work out exactly.  Everyone's cheapest bet is probably buy a used Prius and be done with it.  I was just laying out what the scenario would have to be for me to jump in.

Car insurance doesn't grow linearly as you add cars for a single driver.  Insurance companies realize you can only drive one car at a time.

Property tax???
Don't know how it is in Ohio... but it's pretty linear down here. I'm speaking from significant experience :lol: Insurers don't know who is driving your cars so they could all be on the road at the same time.

And we have to pay property tax on our cars every year.

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 08, 2019, 12:55:47 PM
My average is 4-4.2 mi/kw

Where is gas $2? it's currently around $2.70 here and unless the Saudis dump all their stuff on the market again I don't see it going lower anytime soon. If you're paying the same amount for an electric car as you do for gas, something is very, very wrong.
It's damn close here; I just filled up the TLX at under $3 so regular is probably $2.20 or so. Electricity is about $0.12/kWh. So 100 miles costs $4.40 in a 50MPG hybrid and $2.70-$3 in a Bolt