VW ID.3

Started by Galaxy, September 09, 2019, 02:27:07 PM

Galaxy

I hate the name I really do. First cars to be delivered June 2020. Come on VW, you have been teasing this for like 10 years now.

Overall however I do like it. 3 battery packs available offering between  330 - 550 km of range. 2 Power options, 150, and 204hp are available. It has the footprint of a Golf, and the interior space of a Passat. The Head up Display will offer augmented reality, it will for example "paint" arrows on the road.  Price in Germany will start at under €30,000 including 19% VAT, excluding state subsidies.

I wrote here some time ago, that car makers should make more interesting sounds for electric cars, I suggested the wail of a Tie-fighter, VW says the sound of the ID.3 was "inspired" by the Millennium Falcon. We shall see.

^ New VW Logo will be used on all cars.

^ Like most VWs the color combinations will be numerous.

Officially called the "Play Pedal." I like it.

CaminoRacer

I like it. But needs more range and TORK.

Also, that VW logo is the same exact thing but flatter. Wow much improvement.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MrH

Not coming to the US...lame.

Also, not a fan of this push to take every switch and button in the interior and put them into a screen.  There aren't any clear HVAC controls?

I like what my Accord has.  It's really simple too and declutters the dash a lot.  3 dials and a couple of buttons for the whole HVAC system. Seems like a way better solution.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

Quote from: MrH on September 09, 2019, 03:03:25 PM
Not coming to the US...lame.

Also, not a fan of this push to take every switch and button in the interior and put them into a screen.  There aren't any clear HVAC controls?

I like what my Accord has.  It's really simple too and declutters the dash a lot.  3 dials and a couple of buttons for the whole HVAC system. Seems like a way better solution.

Have always liked Honda's setup.

Eye of the Tiger

Hvac should always be three knobs. Buttons and touchscreens are dumb as hell.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MX793

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on September 09, 2019, 04:33:48 PM
Hvac should always be three knobs. Buttons and touchscreens are dumb as hell.

I like linear sliders.  They can be more efficiently packaged.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on September 09, 2019, 04:38:26 PM

Fine, are at least as good as knobs, but I can't think of anything that uses sliders anymore.

CaminoRacer

The Bolts HVAC works fine. 1 knob for temperature, buttons for the rest. I only touch the knob every once in a while to adjust the auto temperature

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MX793 on September 09, 2019, 04:38:26 PM
No longer a concern with today's crazy high cowls

I think this is a good first effort from VW but we will see #1 how much it costs and #2 if anyone actually wants them

A hybrid Golf sounds much better to me (outside of the cramped interior)
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CaminoRacer

VW has the eGolf so is this really a first effort? I guess it's the first bespoke car.

cawimmer430

The least powerful model weighs 2-tons. Holy crap! I am still used to ICE cars where a low-powered economy car today weighs maybe 1.2 tons!  :mask:

Quote from: MrH on September 09, 2019, 03:03:25 PM

Yep, but some brands do it better than others. I like the setup in my A250. A/C controls are buttons but everything else is in the digital screen but logically located and quickly accessible via voice, touchpad, touchscreen or the touch pads on my steering wheel - or by buttons flanking the touchpad.

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 09, 2019, 09:43:12 PM
VW has the eGolf so is this really a first effort? I guess it's the first bespoke car.

AFAIK the eGolf was never developed from ground-up to be an EV. It was a knee-jerk reaction to all the Greenies who hate anything ICE-powered. The same is true for the VW eUP! That explains the horrible ranges on both of those cars, because VW couldn't cram bigger, more powerful battery packs into those cars.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

NomisR

Are those light and defogger buttons capacitive touch?

Galaxy

I don't think VW got enough credit for the e-Golf, especially considering they also had a plug in Version alongside it. For most the e-Golf would be a second car to a A6 or something, so ther range is enough to get to work and back.

cawimmer430

Here's a Close Look At The ID.3, Volkswagen's Most Important New Car In Many Decades

Last week, Volkswagen unveiled its long-awaited ID.3 electric hatchback at the Frankfurt Motor Show. It follows the Beetle and Golf as the brand's most important vehicle and could prove to be the car that, finally, makes electric vehicles mainstream.

In this video from Top Gear, we're offered a detailed look at aspects of the hatchback which the official photos fail to cover.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTMFamylaDQ

The first thing worth mentioning about the ID.3 is the design. Because it doesn't feature a big internal combustion engine up the front nor a large transmission, VW's designers have been able to shorten the front and rear overhangs and push the cabin forward to increase space. The car manufacturer goes as far as to say that, while the ID.3 has almost the same footprint as a Golf, it offers interior space to rival a Passat.

There will be three different powertrains available for the ID.3. The first is a 45 kWh version with a 147 HP and 229 lb-ft (310 Nm) electric motor, offering a range of 205 miles (330 km). Next up is the mid-level 58 kWh model with an electric motor delivering 201 HP and a 261-mile (420-km) range. Sitting at the top of the family is the 77 kWh version with the same 201 HP electric motor but an extended range, which sits at an impressive 342 miles (550 km).

Volkswagen has yet to release pricing details for the ID.3 range, but has confirmed the base model will start at under €30,000 ($33,161) in Germany.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/09/heres-a-close-look-at-the-id-3-volkswagens-most-important-new-car-in-many-decades/

www.wimmerfotografie.de

WookieOnRitalin

As gay as it sounds, I prefer large knobs for most controls.

Less screens in a vehicle is a great thing. As to why they are there in the first place is beyond me. I really did not like the screen in my 3 and I had it turned off 98% of the time. I was a little annoyed that it was the only way to control the music in the vehicle. Glad to see Mazda reverse that strategy.

1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on September 16, 2019, 07:29:59 PM
As gay as it sounds, I prefer large knobs for most controls.

Less screens in a vehicle is a great thing. As to why they are there in the first place is beyond me. I really did not like the screen in my 3 and I had it turned off 98% of the time. I was a little annoyed that it was the only way to control the music in the vehicle. Glad to see Mazda reverse that strategy.

Yeah, that's super gay.

cawimmer430

After watching the video about the ID.3 I am totally uninterested in it.

First, the design is butt ugly and bland, inside and out. I get that the designers want this thing to look... "electricish", but it just doesn't work for me. I am used to the proportions of an ICE car, and I like a traditional grille with air intakes!

Second, the interior is just dull, and that transmission drive selector looks just stupid and seems gimmicky to use. What's wrong with offering a column shifter transmission stalk? Simple, quick and easy-to-use.

I like the Renault Zoe because it at least looks cute. But the most beautiful practical EV is the Audi e-Tron GT Concept. That beauty should enter production just the way it is: perfect.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

Yea, it seems like the promise of beautiful electric cars will only be fulfilled at the super high end. Not sure if that e-Tron GT has a skateboard design or a central tunnel battery... but it looks like any skateboard BEV is gonna either have cramped headroom or hideous, ill proportioned designs

I'd rather just go autonomous than have to drive something like the id3

afty

The e-tron GT is basically an Audi Taycan. I think both of them look great.

cawimmer430

Quote from: afty on September 20, 2019, 03:53:11 AM
The e-tron GT is basically an Audi Taycan. I think both of them look great.

The design works for me because it's muscular, athletic and beautiful and most important of all it has a "traditional air-intake grille" up front.

Call me old school but tradition matters. :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Galaxy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 20, 2019, 04:52:52 AM
The design works for me because it's muscular, athletic and beautiful and most important of all it has a "traditional air-intake grille" up front.

Call me old school but tradition matters. :lol:

For me the "traditional air-intake grille" is up there with putting fake exhaust on a E-car. That is one of the things Tesla, and Porsche got right, and Audi got wrong imo.

Now, Porsche does deserve criticism for using the turbo moniker.

giant_mtb

Motors and batteries need cooling, too.  It's possible that the grille is functional in some way. :huh:

Laconian

Tesla ditched the grille but still manages to find air for cooling
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on September 20, 2019, 11:42:30 AM

I'm surprised that they don't use osmosis through the body panels.

12,000 RPM

I think there is a healthy medium for grill size. EVs should have grilles too.

giant_mtb

Good for them. :huh:

CaminoRacer

The Model 3 has a small grill at the bottom of the front.

Soup DeVille

And lots of ICE cars went grill-free too for years. That doesn't change whether or not a grille could be functional, and it very well could be.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 20, 2019, 12:27:47 PM
The Model 3 has a small grill at the bottom of the front.

The model 3 did it quite poorly though by having a very grille shaped outline where a grille should be. I know they were making a statement of sorts, but I don't think it looks good.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator