Kia Admits Stinger Successor Is In Doubt As Sales Didn’t Live Up To Expectations

Started by cawimmer430, September 23, 2019, 07:39:31 AM

cawimmer430

Kia Admits Stinger Successor Is In Doubt As Sales Didn't Live Up To Expectations

Kia says it is still yet to decide if it will launch a successor to its Stinger sports saloon.

While speaking with Car Advice at the Frankfurt Motor Show, vice president and senior chief designer of Kia's styling studio in Germany, Gregory Guillaume, admitted that the Stinger hasn't been selling in the numbers the company had hoped for.

"We never really expected to do massive volumes," Guillaume said. "It was a halo car. We did want to be successful at least in America, the market where we thought there is a chance that it works. We had very high expectations for that market and it's very difficult to start in such segments.

"The beginning of my career was at Audi. I remember... it took three generations of the A8 (limousine) to be seen on eye level to a (BMW) 7 Series or (Mercedes) S-Class. You have to persevere. If you're entering these segments (whether) it's premium or image vehicles, you have to give yourself a bit of time," he explained.

Guillaume and his design team played a pivotal role in bringing the Stinger to life and admit that customers are still coming to terms with paying a premium price for a Kia sedan.

"We have to see if Stinger continues – first of all if it will be continuing, which I really hope so – and if we think this is the format to continue in the future," he said, before going on to suggest that if the Stinger does live on, it could be electrified.

"As you know there's a lot going on with electrification, so it could be that Stinger becomes something else. I don't know. We're not there yet. We've got a bit of time."

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/09/kia-admits-stinger-successor-is-in-doubt-as-sales-didnt-live-up-to-expectations/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

r0tor

Would have been nice to see if they could CVS fully developed it with a 2nd gen
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on September 23, 2019, 10:14:13 AM
Would have been nice to see if they could CVS fully developed it with a 2nd gen
To what end? :(

Nobody wants to spend $40-50K on a Kia that doesn't seat 7.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

cawimmer430

Mitsubishi has turned the Eclipse into an SUV.

Maybe the next Kia Stinger will be a 7-seater SUV?  :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

NomisR

So basically, everyone deep down wants a minivan but doesn't want to admit to wanting to have one.. so they look to other alternatives to minivans that's not called a minivan..

12,000 RPM

Quote from: NomisR on September 24, 2019, 10:47:51 AM
So basically, everyone deep down wants a minivan but doesn't want to admit to wanting to have one.. so they look to other alternatives to minivans that's not called a minivan..
No, most people don't want or even need minivans. The only top 10 selling 3 row vehicle is the Highlander, which, like all other 3 row crossovers, is significantly smaller than most minivans. Everything else in the top 10 is a 2 row vehicle.

NomisR

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 24, 2019, 11:26:27 AM
No, most people don't want or even need minivans. The only top 10 selling 3 row vehicle is the Highlander, which, like all other 3 row crossovers, is significantly smaller than most minivans. Everything else in the top 10 is a 2 row vehicle.

So they want a wagon instead?  A turbo diesel wagon!

Eye of the Tiger

Xer0

I'm honestly not surprised.  The Stinger is such a weird vehicle and it seems like it was a little half baked judging by how much better the G70 turned out with its additional year of development.  Like I'm not sure exactly who the Stinger was supposed to appeal to, the thousand or so buyers that take home an A7 every month?

MrH

Quote from: Xer0 on September 24, 2019, 02:51:47 PM
I'm honestly not surprised.  The Stinger is such a weird vehicle and it seems like it was a little half baked judging by how much better the G70 turned out with its additional year of development.  Like I'm not sure exactly who the Stinger was supposed to appeal to, the thousand or so buyers that take home an A7 every month?

Yeah, I'm also confused by the whole thing.  There aren't droves of people wishing for a budget A7 really.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MX793

I think I've seen as many Tellurides in the past week as I've seen Stingers in the past year.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on September 24, 2019, 03:13:43 PM
I think I've seen as many Tellurides in the past week as I've seen Stingers in the past year.

I've seen more Tellurides this week than I've ever seen Stingers. I'm surprised how many there are around here.
It's a shame about the Stinger. They had some nice incentives for a while, too.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on September 24, 2019, 02:58:35 PM
Yeah, I'm also confused by the whole thing.  There aren't droves of people wishing for a budget A7 really.
The internet promised! Make a fast RWD Camry and it will sell!!!

Eye of the Tiger

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Xer0 on September 25, 2019, 09:15:42 AM
Brown wagon, manual, diesel.  Boom!  We did it boys, we fixed the Stinger.

I'll trade in my house for one right now!

Eye of the Tiger

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 24, 2019, 11:26:27 AM

It's just a cheap small minivan that doesn't look like a minivan. :huh:
Will

12,000 RPM

By this logic a station wagon is a lowered minivan. Lets not be ridiculous

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 27, 2019, 07:07:24 AM
By this logic a station wagon is a lowered minivan. Lets not be ridiculous

Of course it isn't.

Minivans are raised up station wagons.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 27, 2019, 07:48:36 AM
Of course it isn't.

Minivans are raised up station wagons.

The original minivan

note the Corvette-inspired suspension

RomanChariot

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on September 27, 2019, 09:02:13 AM
The original minivan

note the Corvette-inspired suspension

I'm confused on what this is. It is definitely a wagon. It doesn't have a top so that would place it in the roadster category. It has a raised suspension so the puts it into the SUV category. It only has 2-4 horsepower so that puts it into the underpowered category which would point to it being a Subaru.

Is it an 1812 Subaru Ascent roadster prototype?

P.S.  I like how only the front row benefits from suspension. "You kids better quiet down or I'm going to hit a bump and you'll get thrown out!"

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: RomanChariot on September 27, 2019, 10:33:36 AM
I'm confused on what this is. It is definitely a wagon. It doesn't have a top so that would place it in the roadster category. It has a raised suspension so the puts it into the SUV category. It only has 2-4 horsepower so that puts it into the underpowered category which would point to it being a Subaru.

Is it an 1812 Subaru Ascent roadster prototype?

P.S.  I like how only the front row benefits from suspension. "You kids better quiet down or I'm going to hit a bump and you'll get thrown out!"

Yeeeee!  :lol:

RomanChariot

I like how this thread has devolved from the KIA Stinger to pioneer transportation. At least they both have wheels, seats and "horsepower."  :ohyeah:

CaminoRacer

Quote from: RomanChariot on September 27, 2019, 10:33:36 AM

Well, double suspension. Looks like there are leafs on the axle and then the front row gets it's own suspension. Like a semi truck.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV