1992 VW Passat Variant 2.8 VR6 Is The Sleeper Wagon You Can Afford

Started by cawimmer430, October 13, 2019, 02:44:57 AM

cawimmer430

I had no idea these things existed. You will still see these on the road here, but they're usually powered by smaller gasoline/diesel engines. This thing is mint, like a time capsule, and it looks quite nice. I always had a soft spot for the design of this Passat. I thought it looked kind of cool with the no-air-intake/grille front.

1992 VW Passat Variant 2.8 VR6 Is The Sleeper Wagon You Can Afford

The Volkswagen Passat was never a flashy car, quite the contrary: it's as if the design brief was always to build a vehicle that would go unnoticed.

This holds true especially for the first three generations before Ferdinand Piëch decided to take the Passat upscale along with the entire VW lineup. The third-generation model, codenamed B3 (B4 after the facelift), is highly significant for the U.S. as it introduced the Passat nameplate to the market – the previous two generations were sold as the Dasher and Quantum, respectively.

The Passat B3 to have was the VR6 model, best served in the wagon body style called Variant in Europe. This version mixed practicality, performance and understated design in a package that seems to fit the definition of a "sleeper wagon" perfectly.

This model was powered by a 2.8-liter VR6 engine shared with the Corrado and Golf Mk3 delivering a healthy 174 PS (172 HP) and 235 Nm (173 lb-ft) of torque. Mated to a five-speed manual transmission, the naturally aspirated six-cylinder engine enabled the Passat Variant to sprint from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 8.6 seconds and top out at 218 km/h (135 mph).

It's not easy to find a third-generation Passat Variant VR6 example worth buying nowadays but you might have more luck if you're willing to import one from Europe. Holland's Auto Leitner has one in stock that seems to tick all the right boxes.

Built in 1992, it's completely stock and in great shape too. It's said to have covered only 87,276 km (54,230 miles) from new and the fully documented maintenance record proves it. The car is sold with a large folder of documents which also include the original order form, original purchase invoice, all brochures. It also comes with all three original keys with code card and the original tool set.

There's not much to comment about its looks, as the car appears to be in top notch condition. It's also nicely specced, with a satin silver metallic paint, matching 15-inch polished "Estoril" alloys, and contrasting black elements including the roof rails.

The standard equipment was generous and included power sunroof, power windows, power-adjustable side mirrors, power steering, central locking, trip computer, VW Gamma stereo, height-adjustable front seats, 60:40 split-folding rear seats, leather steering wheel and gear stick, and more.

Safety features include ABS, EDS electronic lock differential, rear window wiper, front fog lights, and four headrests – no airbags, though. You can have all this for €8,750, which is the equivalent of $9,600 at the current exchange rates. It's not cheap for a 1992 Passat but we believe you'll have a hard time finding another one like it. Plus, being 27 years old, you can even import it in the States under 25-year law.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/10/1992-vw-passat-variant-2-8-vr6-is-the-sleeper-wagon-you-can-afford/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

12,000 RPM

0-62 in 8.6s is not a sleeper lol.

However, I do think this drivetrain permutation - more than 4 cylinders, natural aspiration, 3 pedals- will increase in value over time due to scarcity.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 13, 2019, 10:21:29 AM

However, I do think this drivetrain permutation - more than 4 cylinders, natural aspiration, 3 pedals- will increase in value over time due to scarcity.

In '92 that would have been reasonably brisk.  Particularly in Europe.  An Accord or Camry of that vintage would have been in the 9s. 

But you weren't going to scare somebody in any sort of sporty or performance car, so not really a sleeper.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

I've driven a friend's VR6 Jetta and I found the engine sound to be simply glorious.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Laconian on October 13, 2019, 12:40:13 PM
I've driven a friend's VR6 Jetta and I found the engine sound to be simply glorious.
This alone is reason to buy one. It's also a time capsule representative of a much simpler VW

Payman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 13, 2019, 06:57:59 PM
This alone is reason to buy one. It's also a time capsule representative of a much simpler VW

Yes, but in the right car, like a Corrado VR6. The first gen Passat was crap.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 13, 2019, 10:21:29 AM

In the context of early 1990s Europe it was. Remember, this was a time when your average European mainstreamer would need 12-15 seconds to reach 100 km/h. This thing drove like a rocket ship in comparison.  :ohyeah:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 14, 2019, 04:20:42 AM
In the context of early 1990s Europe it was. Remember, this was a time when your average European mainstreamer would need 12-15 seconds to reach 100 km/h. This thing drove like a rocket ship in comparison.  :ohyeah:
It's 2019 :huh:

This may be the worst VW with this engine outside of minivans and shit.

AutobahnSHO

Will

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 14, 2019, 05:31:45 AM
It's 2019 :huh:

This may be the worst VW with this engine outside of minivans and shit.

There's probably an enthusiast out there for whom this is the jackpot and the price is totally worth it. Every car has its fans.

There are Yugo, Trabant, Wartburg etc. fans out there, which are truly awful cars. To each his/her own. ;)

I'm still lusting after a classic 1974 Dodge Monaco by the way! :praise:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

For sure; I am just contending the misuse of the word sleeper. A car that barely outaccelerates a Toyota Yaris iA is not a sleeper, it's fast asleep.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 15, 2019, 07:42:30 AM
For sure; I am just contending the misuse of the word sleeper. A car that barely outaccelerates a Toyota Yaris iA is not a sleeper, it's fast asleep.

If a Yaris had been around at the same time it would have been much much slower. This car has to be put into the context of its time. ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

AltinD

Quote from: Laconian on October 13, 2019, 12:40:13 PM

I drove a 2008 VR6 Passat for 8 years .... great engine sound indeed

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD