Rivian electric truck

Started by AutobahnSHO, November 26, 2018, 09:00:32 PM

FoMoJo

Good move on Fords part, I think?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

r0tor

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 24, 2019, 10:12:34 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if they end up drawing out development a few years just to keep selling their current trucks.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

BimmerM3

Quote from: r0tor on April 24, 2019, 10:17:11 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if they end up drawing out development a few years just to keep selling their current trucks.

I would be. There's plenty of market space for both. The F-150 barely overlaps with the Rivian price wise, and there are still many truck owners who won't switch over to electric yet.

EDIT: Unless you were talking about the Ford-developed vehicle based on the Rivian platform, in which case maybe. As FoMoCo pointed out, there are tons of things they could do with the platform besides build an electric F-150.

FoMoJo

Quote from: r0tor on April 24, 2019, 10:17:11 AM
Judging by their Euro lineup, Ford wants to go electric in a big way.  Having an electric 'skateboard' platform available gives them a head start.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Payman

I think it's a brilliant move. Ford has been seriously lagging in electric vehicle development, and partnering with Rivian they probably saved a billion in development costs, and they may have just leapfrogged the other conventional pickup builders. GM was actually courting Rivian, but they couldn't put a deal together.

Payman

Also, Rivian was facing the enormous problems of manufacturing facilities, supply chains, and dealer networks.

Problems solved.

Galaxy

I wonder if Rivian's business model is such that they wanted to create a product that is enticing enough that eventually one of the big players buys them out, which Ford may still do. That solves all of the production problems that Tesla has.

12,000 RPM

The build to get bought out model is very popular, but I'm surprised they were able to source funding all this time. In any case, agreed, master play on their part.

If/when Tesla goes bankrupt, someone will buy them for cheap and solve their operational headaches too.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Payman

Ford doesn't even need to restyle it. Just slap their badge on and go.  :lol:

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rockraven on April 24, 2019, 03:58:03 PM
Ford doesn't even need to restyle it. Just slap their badge on and go.  :lol:

Honestly, yeah. It really does look like a concept Ford would release.

GoCougs

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 24, 2019, 10:12:34 AM

Had to - Ford has nothing in EVs.

Mind you, I don't think there's really any future in EVs, but getting left behind by the industry doesn't look good from a societal/political perspective...

giant_mtb

EVs will be the future, but that future is pretty far off. Just like it is for the autonomous car takeover (which is even farther off, IMO).

2o6

Ford has nothing good in EV's and they are flopping in China and Europe.

Payman

Quote from: GoCougs on April 24, 2019, 05:47:20 PM

Mind you, I don't think there's really any future in EVs, but getting left behind by the industry doesn't look good from a societal/political perspective...

The future is in light and commercial trucks. Cars... not so much (yet).

Payman

If bonehead Musk concentrated on his trucks first, things might be vastly better right now.

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on April 24, 2019, 05:47:20 PM

You may remember that Ford was selling Escape hybrids in 2005.  Their current/future Euro line contains many EVs PHEVs and Hybrids.

FoMoJo

Quote from: 2o6 on April 24, 2019, 07:18:27 PM
Ford has nothing good in EV's and they are flopping in China and Europe.
Ford has been focusing battery development.  EVs are useless without advanced battery technology.

2o6

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 24, 2019, 08:17:59 PM
You may remember that Ford was selling Escape hybrids in 2005.  Their current/future Euro line contains many EVs PHEVs and Hybrids.

The Escape Hybrid was basically a Prius with a Ford 2.3L instead of the Toyota 1NZFXE.

The Focus Electric was a bust.

The new Escape looks promising, especially it's Hybrid, but the old Ford Hybrids (Fusion, C-Max) were also-rans in the market. And the "Mach-E" electric car is MIA.

FoMoJo

Quote from: 2o6 on April 24, 2019, 08:25:09 PM

The Escape Hybrid was basically a Prius with a Ford 2.3L instead of the Toyota 1NZFXE.

The Focus Electric was a bust.

The new Escape looks promising, especially it's Hybrid, but the old Ford Hybrids (Fusion, C-Max) were also-rans in the market. And the "Mach-E" electric car is MIA.
Yes, Ford used much of Toyota's patented technology, but they also have more than 100 patents on their system.