Tesla’s Bold Pickup Truck To Cost Under $49,000 Undercutting Rivian R1T By $20K

Started by cawimmer430, June 03, 2019, 12:55:20 PM

cawimmer430

Tesla's Bold Pickup Truck To Cost Under $49,000 Undercutting Rivian R1T By $20K

Tesla chief executive Elon Musk has revealed that the company's upcoming all-electric pickup truck will cost less than $50,000.

"You should be able to buy a really great truck for $49k or less," Musk said during a podcast with Tesla enthusiast Ryan McCaffrey.

To put that into perspective, the forthcoming Rivian R1T pickup is set to start at $69,000, a significant premium over the Tesla. For what it's worth, the Rivian will be marketed and sold as a premium pickup truck loaded with features but it remains to be seen how basic, or premium, the Tesla pickup will be.

What we do know is that the Tesla will be big and come loaded with technologies. Tesla once teased its pickup as being so massive that it could fit a Ford F-150 in its bed, but the production vehicle isn't expected to be that big. It will have six seats, 400-500 miles (643 km – 804 km) of range, come with a potent dual-motor powertrain, and offer up to 300,000 lbs (136,077 kg) of towing capacity.

Musk has made no secret of the fact that he is very excited about the company's upcoming pickup truck and late last year, said he wasn't even bothered if only a small number of people purchase it.

"I'm personally super-excited by this pickup truck. It's something I've been wanting to make for a long time. And I've been iterating sort of designs with Franz... It's like I really wanted something that's like super-futuristic cyberpunk," he said.

The Tesla pickup truck will be unveiled in prototype guise before the end of the year.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/06/teslas-bold-pickup-truck-to-cost-under-49000-undercutting-rivian-r1t-by-20k/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

giant_mtb

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 03, 2019, 12:55:20 PM
Musk has made no secret of the fact that he is very excited about the company's upcoming pickup truck and late last year, said he wasn't even bothered if only a small number of people purchase it.

I can think of a lot of people who would be bothered if nobody buys the thing...I don't know any of them by name, but some may be called "shareholders," or "employees," or "anybody that works for the company."

RomanChariot

Quote from: Galaxy on June 03, 2019, 01:16:45 PM
Nope.

Exactly. They obviously have no idea what towing capacity means. Does this thing have the ability to stop the momentum of 300,000 lbs going 70mph? Can it handle 30,000+ lbs of tongue weight? I don't think so.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

veeman

The sight lines inside that car look worse than in a Camaro.  I didn't think that was possible.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: veeman on June 04, 2019, 07:58:00 AM
The sight lines inside that car look worse than in a Camaro.  I didn't think that was possible.

I think the pictures are from fans, not Tesla...? Not 100% sure though.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

It's not a pickup :confused:.  I don't know what it is, but it's not a pickup.  Maybe a Ute. :huh:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

shp4man

Where's the bed? I'm thinking hauling a 4x8 sheet of plywood might be complicated.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on June 04, 2019, 09:22:47 AM
Where's the bed? I'm thinking hauling a 4x8 sheet of plywood might be complicated.

Lame. Even a Caravan can haul 4x8 sheetz.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

TBR

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 03, 2019, 12:55:20 PM
"I'm personally super-excited by this pickup truck. It's something I've been wanting to make for a long time. And I've been iterating sort of designs with Franz... It's like I really wanted something that's like super-futuristic cyberpunk," he said.

So we're just ignoring this one?

Honestly, those snippets read like an Onion article. IDK how anyone could have faith in this man or company.

MrH

These stock pumps are getting more and more ridiculous.  :facepalm: :lol:

This isn't happening guys.  There's zero budget for CapEx to support this.  There is no time line for this.  It's one of probably 100 Musk lies that will never happen as promised.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

GoCougs

Quote from: TBR on June 04, 2019, 11:45:34 AM
So we're just ignoring this one?

Honestly, those snippets read like an Onion article. IDK how anyone could have faith in this man or company.

Because Tesla is the culmination of the ~15 year run-up of Big Tech; and if you admit that king has no clothes, by extension one also admits that Big Tech isn't wearing much either (which is true). Tesla is setting itself up to be the Lehman Brothers of Big Tech, and really, with its stock crash and the troubles (from stock price to PR disasters) at Google, Apple and Facebook, the downfall of Big Tech has probably already started.

MrH

Quote from: GoCougs on June 05, 2019, 12:49:09 AM
Because Tesla is the culmination of the ~15 year run-up of Big Tech; and if you admit that king has no clothes, by extension one also admits that Big Tech isn't wearing much either (which is true). Tesla is setting itself up to be the Lehman Brothers of Big Tech, and really, with its stock crash and the troubles (from stock price to PR disasters) at Google, Apple and Facebook, the downfall of Big Tech has probably already started.

I wouldn't put Google, Apple, and Facebook on the same trajectory as Tesla.  I think Tesla is a big zero, but I think you're right that there's going to be a big correction to big tech.  Legislation is going to murder Facebook in particular.  When the information gathering and sharing is neutered, the growth is done (I think 3 billion people have FB or something absurd now), and the ad revenue drops because of the lack of data they're able to provide on their users, the financials won't support their crazy valuation.

Google has a million other coals in the fire.  Amazon still dominates logistics.  Apple makes things with absurd margins.  But FB is going to have a rough go at it.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

GoCougs

Quote from: MrH on June 05, 2019, 09:12:53 AM
I wouldn't put Google, Apple, and Facebook on the same trajectory as Tesla.  I think Tesla is a big zero, but I think you're right that there's going to be a big correction to big tech.  Legislation is going to murder Facebook in particular.  When the information gathering and sharing is neutered, the growth is done (I think 3 billion people have FB or something absurd now), and the ad revenue drops because of the lack of data they're able to provide on their users, the financials won't support their crazy valuation.

Google has a million other coals in the fire.  Amazon still dominates logistics.  Apple makes things with absurd margins.  But FB is going to have a rough go at it.

No, they're not on the same trajectory, but the altruistic, world-changing/improving companies they are not. They sell your personal info and online behavior, they manipulate governments (markets), they produce relatively little value, and they are upending major parts of our culture for the worst.

AutobahnSHO

y'all forgot Netflix, Disney streaming, all the other media providers.

Plus the cable/ "phone" companies that gouge internet service.

Don't forget software designers, that paradigm is shifting though- even MS is trying to go to long-term "subscriptions" instead of one-time purchases.
Will