Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

Laconian

Quote from: MX793 on March 18, 2021, 11:14:56 AM
Wonder how fast they towed the thing.  Doing some quick math, assuming a 32" tire, at 15 mph the motor would have been spinning north of 13,000 RPM.  If they actually got it close to highway speed before it let go, that would be north of 50,000 RPM.

Bet it sounded like an F1 car until it flew apart.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

r0tor

I once saw a Subaru on the back of a tow truck going down the interstate with so much smoke pouring out of the center differential that you could barely see behind it
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: r0tor on March 18, 2021, 06:20:25 PM
I once saw a Subaru on the back of a tow truck going down the interstate with so much smoke pouring out of the center differential that you could barely see behind it

:confused:
Will

CaminoRacer

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/big-oly-bronco-bound-for-auction-could-be-first-ever-million-dollar-vintage-suv/

Big Oly may resemble an early Bronco, but it is anything but. It features a full 4130 chrome-moly tube-frame chassis, aluminum inner panels, fiberglass body, a setback 351W engine, four-wheel disc brakes, a Trans-Am-spec full-floating rear axle, a Lotus Indy-car-inspired windshield "air curtain" to keep dust out of the cab, built-in Thermos drinking systems for driver and co-driver, and a heavily modified Twin I-Beam front suspension, among other innovations. Stroppe's ingenuity included a backlit device containing a hand-operated scroll of maps meticulously drawn by Stroppe after pre-race runs of the course—essentially an analog GPS system. It was just one of the advantages hidden in the 2600-pound, 390-hp off-road weapon. But Big Oly's true party trick is its roof, which is, in actuality, a cockpit-adjustable wing to keep the truck planted to the dirt at high speed.

It all worked, and combined with Jones's ability to take to dirt like a penguin takes to icy water, Big Oly was unbeatable. Although a broken rear axle kept it from taking the 1970 Mexican 1000, at the same event a year later, it set a record time of 14 hours and 59 minutes—beating the former record by a whopping 1 hour and 8 minutes. It was this win that cemented Big Oly's reputation, along the way elevating the street cred of basically every Bronco built before and since. Big Oly continued to race, winning the 1972 Mexican 1000 and both the Baja 500 and Mint 400 in 1973, before being retired in 1975.

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

Thinking about bidding on it? :lol:

Parnelli Jones was one of my favourite racers from that era.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

FoMoJo

Not at all sure I'd want to drive this thing :nutty:...This V-8 Go-Kart Is Just an Engine and Four Wheels

Simplicity is the key to a great performance car, but even the lightest and most simple on the market today have to make some sacrifices to comfortably and safely hold two passengers. Even an Ariel Atom 4 has some bodywork. For one enterprising engineer, that was too much compromise. Building a car is complicated, but his solution was simple: Put a V-8 over some wheels and call it a day.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 26, 2021, 12:14:29 PM
Not at all sure I'd want to drive this thing :nutty:...This V-8 Go-Kart Is Just an Engine and Four Wheels

Simplicity is the key to a great performance car, but even the lightest and most simple on the market today have to make some sacrifices to comfortably and safely hold two passengers. Even an Ariel Atom 4 has some bodywork. For one enterprising engineer, that was too much compromise. Building a car is complicated, but his solution was simple: Put a V-8 over some wheels and call it a day.

This looks way unstable and stupid. There are plenty of reasons cars looked like this in the beginning and don't any more..
Will

FoMoJo

Ford Crashes Easter Jeep Safari With Five Concept Broncos

Jeep has a yearly tradition of bringing out a host of Wrangler-based concept vehicles for the Easter Jeep Safari, an off-roading event held annually in Moab, Utah (which, yes, allows non-Jeep 4x4s to attend). Now, Ford has decided to get in on the game, bringing a bunch of aftermarket-upgraded Broncos to barge in on Jeep's fun. And what Ford has built looks pretty compelling.

FoMoJo

Payman

Take a moment to take this in, and marvel at the job done here...

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Rockraven on April 01, 2021, 10:49:32 AM

LOL wonder how much weight that adds...
Will

Laconian

I had to zoom to appreciate what was going on.

FoMoJo

Interesting series...https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a36029296/honda-s2000-project-part-1/

My Newest Project Is a Honda S2000 With 300,000 Miles on the Clock

It's already the best-driving car I've ever owned.

Cars with high mileage don't bother me. A six-digit figure on the dash might seem daunting at first, but you soon realize that if a car with so many miles on the clock is still on the road, that means it's been taken care of. Otherwise it'd be in a junkyard due to neglect or abuse. Mileage was the main reason I was able to get such a deal on my latest project: This 300,000-mile S2000.

cont'd.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a36106787/honda-s2000-project-part-2/

My 300,000-Mile Honda S2000 Is Finally Ready for Its First Track Day

New brakes mean it can actually stop now.

If you're a regular here at Road & Track, you'll know my latest project car is a Honda S2000 with over 300,000 miles on the clock. While it runs and drives, it still needs a lot of work. One of the biggest weak points was the braking system, and with a track day at Lime Rock Park coming up, that was the first thing I needed to address.

cont'd.

veeman

Quote from: Rockraven on April 01, 2021, 10:49:32 AM

I wonder what the original paint color was on that Pontiac, other than rust  :lol: 

Payman

How to shut up your Nascar fan co-worker: (just had this conversation, lol)

Him: Nascar drivers are the best; fender to fender, trading paint, they got balls, not like those F1 pussies.

Me: Interesting. Who would you say is their best driver in the rain?

Him: ...

FoMoJo

I love reading some of these reviews...The Death Eaters, Chapter 1: Tatra T87

1947 Tatra T87
Production: 1936–1950
Engine: 3.0-liter V-8, 75 hp, 112 lb-ft (torque estimated)
Transmission: 4-speed manual
Drive: Rear
Weight: 3000 pounds

Known For: Attempting to invent the future and (possibly) killing a lot of Nazis.

The Reality: Not so much dangerous as demanding of attention, and unforgiving of coloring outside the lines.

Lesson: A formidable work of genius, in every sense of the phrase.

FoMoJo

Morris Minor

Drove to the fitness center today - wife was already there for tennis - so I parked next to her. The CX-5's red is still spectacular even when covered in crud, squashed bugs & pollen
I liked the native azalea too.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

Laconian

It still looks good but it's going to look so much better after a wash.

Galaxy

Quote from: Morris Minor on April 22, 2021, 03:05:23 PM
I liked the native azalea too.

Wow that is a large azalea! It is basically a tree. In Germany they are more like bushes. Love them, have ~8 in my garden.

cawimmer430

Can someone explain to me what's the point of an "AMG version" of an EV?

I mean aside from a harder suspension and more power, the drawbacks will be bigger IMO. Reduced range, longer charging times etc.

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/04/amg-version-of-the-mercedes-eqs-ev-has-been-spotted-testing-at-the-nurburgring/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MX793

Quote from: cawimmer430 on April 30, 2021, 09:46:36 AM
Can someone explain to me what's the point of an "AMG version" of an EV?

I mean aside from a harder suspension and more power, the drawbacks will be bigger IMO. Reduced range, longer charging times etc.

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/04/amg-version-of-the-mercedes-eqs-ev-has-been-spotted-testing-at-the-nurburgring/

Doesn't "reduced range" apply to petrol AMGs?  Or do they fit larger fuel tanks to offset the larger and more powerful engines?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SJ_GTI

It depends on what you are looking for. If you want a car that is more fun to drive an AMG version of any given car can make sense.

As an aside, I suspect that as people become more familiar with EV's the range issue is going to become less important. In sports/fun cars in particular having a super high range isn't a big deal. Being able to go 220 miles instead of 280 miles...but having more fun along the way...will seem like a reasonable compromise.

cawimmer430

Quote from: MX793 on April 30, 2021, 09:51:36 AM
Doesn't "reduced range" apply to petrol AMGs?  Or do they fit larger fuel tanks to offset the larger and more powerful engines?

Yes, the AMG models get larger fuel tanks. However, unlike an EV, an ICE car can be refueled in less than five minutes and you're good to go.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

SJ_GTI

Quote from: cawimmer430 on April 30, 2021, 09:54:42 AM
Yes, the AMG models get larger fuel tanks. However, unlike an EV, an ICE car can be refueled in less than five minutes and you're good to go.

Of course on the flip side...unlike an ICE, an EV can start each morning with a "full tank" without ever having to go to a gas station.

cawimmer430

Quote from: SJ_GTI on April 30, 2021, 09:53:06 AM
It depends on what you are looking for. If you want a car that is more fun to drive an AMG version of any given car can make sense.

As an aside, I suspect that as people become more familiar with EV's the range issue is going to become less important. In sports/fun cars in particular having a super high range isn't a big deal. Being able to go 220 miles instead of 280 miles...but having more fun along the way...will seem like a reasonable compromise.

Yes, the "fun" aspect is definitely something that sets it apart from a regular model.

In regards to range, my understanding is that EVs will drain their batteries on a racetrack (like the Nürburgring) after a "handful" of laps coupled with battery overheating issues and then of course long charging times to get them juiced up again.

I'm still thinking in terms of the overall comfortable convenience of an ICE engine.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: SJ_GTI on April 30, 2021, 09:55:47 AM
Of course on the flip side...unlike an ICE, an EV can start each morning with a "full tank" without ever having to go to a gas station.

If you have your own garage - or a community garage with charging abilities.

The folks who park on the street? Not so much...

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Galaxy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on April 30, 2021, 09:57:04 AM
Yes, the "fun" aspect is definitely something that sets it apart from a regular model.

In regards to range, my understanding is that EVs will drain their batteries on a racetrack (like the Nürburgring) after a "handful" of laps coupled with battery overheating issues and then of course long charging times to get them juiced up again.

I'm still thinking in terms of the overall comfortable convenience of an ICE engine.

How many gasoline AMGs get used on a race track though? 1%? In real life the lawyer driving the AMG, uses his car to defeat the lawyer in the Audi RS at the traffic light.

Galaxy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on April 30, 2021, 09:57:46 AM
If you have your own garage - or a community garage with charging abilities.

The folks who park on the street? Not so much...

The street parkers are going to be a problem for electrification. I like what Berlin is doing that that street lighting is being converted so that electric cars can plug in. Which is more complex then it sounds, since the grid needs to be upgraded.

Soup DeVille

I see no reason why peak output on an AC electric engine should have a material effect on range when driving at the same speed.

Unlike ICEs, the efficiency of an electric motor is largely constant at a wide range of loads.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator