2o6 Driving impressions - flip cars

Started by 2o6, January 16, 2017, 09:08:22 AM

2o6

I think this would be an interesting thing to talk about - I kind of don't really talk too much about the cars I flip, aside from the mechanics. I think this is an interesting place to do quick style reviews about some of the cars I've driven/owned.

(Combined into one)

2001 Mazda Tribute V6 FWD, purchased early January, sold early March

2004 Ford Escape V6 4x4 Limited, purchased late Feb, sold Mid March

+ I see why so many people bought these things when new. The V6 models are faster than the 4cyl only RAV4 and other Asian small SUV's of this era whilst only being marginally worse on gas.

+ It feels a lot more truck-y in ride, handling, and overall demeanor. For someone who'd like a "truck" to act like a "truck" I can see its appeal over the CR-V, which drives like a Honda Civic with big shocks.

+ It can tow worth a damn in this trim (3500lbs!)

+ Good interior room

+ Ground clearance is also really good

+ The 3.0L V6 has a lot of torque and despite the trans having only four gears, it seems well matched. The car never feels out taxed

+ I think the 2001 - 2004 cars are actually 4WD, not AWD (I think). There's no center diff, and you can lock the rear (sort of)

- The driving position is weird, to the point any emergency maneuver may actually make this car tip over

- Plastic quality and gap quality isn't as nice as the Honda/Toyota

Honestly, out of all the cars, I like these SUVs a lot. A hell of a lot more than the Saturn VUE I got in October.

FoMoJo

We've had 2 Escapes, the first one is a 2001 AWD 3.0 V6, the 2nd one is a 2009 FWD 2.5 I4. We owned them both until last year when I sold the '01 to a local car flipper.

My impressions are very positive for the most part.

The '01:

Especially impressed with the drive line, the 3.0 Duratec perform faultlessly with only 1 coil pack needing replacement beyond the normal maintenance.  Even after 270,000 kilometers, it did not noticably consume any oil.  However, I did have to replace the front and rear sway bar links as well as the front control arms; specifically because the ball joints were starting to wear.  I replaced the battery after 13 years, but what impressed me most was the only light I had to replace was the front left turn signal bulb.  Every other light in the vehicle continued to work throughout the entire 15 years that I owned it. 

The '09, my wife's car:

As reliable as the '01, but suspension pieces seemed more durable.  Never had to fix anything on it and the 6 speed auto worked well with the 2.5 (Mazda) engine.  The handling seemed a bit improved over the '01 and remained unchanged over the 8 years that we drove it.  The only complaint is the noisy hydraulic lash adjusters (a Mazda complaint), but it never effected the performance.  Still going strong afteer 210,000 kilometers. We gave it to our daughter a couple of months ago when we bought our new car.

I would mention that I maintained both of them vigorously in respect to fluids, filters, etc.

I would also mention that we still use the original Michelins that it came with; although we swapped them with Hankook snow tires each winter.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

2o6

Yeah, these 3.0L Duratec engines are really nice. I liked driving the Tribute for two months, since I drove it as my "real car" when I sold the Yaris and before I bought the Sonic.

I liked it more than the CR-V I had, too.

Eye of the Tiger

Yea, they drive well enough and have plenty of power. Kinda sportsy, even.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

They do feel tippy.  Oddly enough, the new ones feel weirdly tippy as well. 

Also don't understand Ford's use of the stupid MPG gauge that doesn't give you any actual figures, just a down and up arrow with blocks in between. 

Other than that, I haven't hated the handful I've driven over the years. They're perfectly adequate for what they are. Certainly a bit Fisher Price on the inside, but not a horrible design at least.

12,000 RPM

They use them as cabs in NYC, for whatever that's worth. I hated them because with the partition they really killed rear leg room. Pretty cramped. The current ones are right sized.

I do prefer the butch styling of the old ones though. I hope for the next gen they crib more of the Explorer's looks. Current one screams "driver is a wine swilling millennial mom"
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

FoMoJo

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 16, 2017, 10:06:32 AM
They use them as cabs in NYC, for whatever that's worth. I hated them because with the partition they really killed rear leg room. Pretty cramped. The current ones are right sized.

I do prefer the butch styling of the old ones though. I hope for the next gen they crib more of the Explorer's looks. Current one screams "driver is a wine swilling millennial mom"
The NYC cabs were hybrids.  I recall Ford wanted to test the hybrid drive line and a bunch of them ended up as NYC cabs.  Noticed a bunch of them when we were there on a couple of occasions.  Some must have a hell-of-a-lot of miles on them by now.  Don't like the goofy looking Nissans they chose as the standard Yellow cab.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 16, 2017, 10:05:14 AM
They do feel tippy.  Oddly enough, the new ones feel weirdly tippy as well. 

Also don't understand Ford's use of the stupid MPG gauge that doesn't give you any actual figures, just a down and up arrow with blocks in between. 

Other than that, I haven't hated the handful I've driven over the years. They're perfectly adequate for what they are. Certainly a bit Fisher Price on the inside, but not a horrible design at least.
Never felt tippy in either of the Escapes we owned.  Matter of perception, I suppose.

Laconian

I loved my mom's '01 Tribute V6. The engine sounds nice and pulls pretty hard. The fuel economy was bad though, about 20mpg combined.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MrH

Ergonomics in those were terrible.  Used to carpool with my friend who had a V6 escape.  My knees touched the dash no matter how far back the seat was.  It was like they put the dash too low in the vehicle so my knees completely missed the contour of it.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 16, 2017, 10:06:32 AM

Same here! I was eyeballing them before I brought the CSV last fall.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Tave

An ex of mine had the first gen Escape and I second Mr.H's complaints--the dash was in the wrong spot and actually pretty painful for tall knees if you hit a bad bump.

My dad had the third gen for a hot minute (seafoam green, ugly as sin, didn't last two years). You still sat really high but the ergo issues were fixed. I kinda liked the AWD in that and did 400ish miles in terrible weather. It handled like a champ on both the wet and dry.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

2o6

The back seat in the new Escape is too low to the ground.

FoMoJo

Don't like the styling of the Current Escape.  It's like they sold out to the import crowd and missed the mark.

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MrH

Quote from: 2o6 on January 16, 2017, 05:06:08 PM

Psssh. That's nothing. Try spending a few hours in the back seat of an element. Tons and tons of legroom in front of you. Great head room. But you're basically sitting on the ground. Ass cheeks ache after like 30 minutes. Just awful.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 16, 2017, 05:09:17 PM
Don't like the styling of the Current Escape.  It's like they sold out to the import crowd and missed the mark.
Yea you hit the nail on the head. Store brand Astons and Range Rovers? Sure. Store brand RAV4s? Why? A $25K Range Rover Sport would be pretty sweet.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MX793

Quote from: MrH on January 16, 2017, 06:52:07 PM

Psssh. That's nothing. Try spending a few hours in the back seat of an element. Tons and tons of legroom in front of you. Great head room. But you're basically sitting on the ground. Ass cheeks ache after like 30 minutes. Just awful.

That's a pretty good position for a bowel movement, though.  Perhaps the seats should have doubled as portable toilets....
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MrH

Quote from: MX793 on January 16, 2017, 06:58:39 PM
That's a pretty good position for a bowel movement, though.  Perhaps the seats should have doubled as portable toilets....

We have a pooping bathroom equipped with a squatty potty. I'm very familiar with the stance. And you're right, the element wasn't too far off.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on January 16, 2017, 05:06:08 PM

Back seats are for kids anyways, so...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 16, 2017, 07:00:09 PM
Back seats are for kids anyways, so...

The storage, transport, and creation of.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CaminoRacer

I love the 2017 Escape. I want my parents to replace their Mazda6 with one
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MrH

I hate the interiors of the new ones. So black and plasticky.

I had an ecoboost edge as a rental. That was a pretty nice little crossover.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Cookie Monster

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 16, 2017, 05:09:17 PM

Funny, I was behind two Escapes yesterday, one which was the previous gen and a current Escape. I had the same exact thought.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Laconian

Quote from: MrH on January 16, 2017, 07:27:30 PM
I hate the interiors of the new ones. So black and plasticky.

I had an ecoboost edge as a rental. That was a pretty nice little crossover.

Little...? The Edge is huge!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

Quote from: Cookie Monster on January 16, 2017, 07:56:51 PM
Funny, I was behind two Escapes yesterday, one which was the previous gen and a current Escape. I had the same exact thought.

Sales are still strong. I'm indifferent to either one.

2o6

2004 Cadillac CTS 3.6L

Purchased Mid April 2016, and sold around Early July 2016.

+ I still like this design a lot. It still has held up well, and I think edgier designs are the way to go for luxury cars.

+ The steering is both Cadillac familiar, but still precise.

+ GM really does well with automatic transmissions, this car shifts smoothly and confidently.

+ It's interesting how the 3.6L "HIGH FEATURE" engine changes character depending on what it's in or which variant is used. In the FWD applications, like the Traverse and other LAMBDA crossovers, it feels borderline inappropriate in regards to how late the power/torque comes in the car. In this car, partially because of gearing and weight, the 3.6L feels a lot more free and easier. I prefer it to most BMW I6 cars.

+ The leather has a distinct GM Cadillac smell that channels my childhood.

+ Ride was compliant, but handling was still very good. It rode better than a 3 series, and felt more comfortable than a C-class, without being wafty and insubstantial like a Lexus ES.

+ automatic shifter has great weight and good feel

- Although fit and finish was better than anything GM was making at the time (Step inside an 04 Cavalier or any of the GM N-body cars), material quality was honestly about on the same level as a VW Jetta

- The 2.8L and whatever other engine that isn't the 3.6L is refried garbage

- Some of the interior design choices are stupid (THERE ARE A LOT OF BUTTONS)

- Some of the controls are kind of cryptic (Sunroof control)

- This car held up far worse than practically any other small luxury car of the day, except maybe the X-type. X-types are garbage.

giant_mtb

Whoever decided these HVAC vents were a good idea has never cleaned a vent. Can't stand these pieces of shit.

ifcar

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 17, 2017, 01:11:01 AM
Whoever decided these HVAC vents were a good idea has never cleaned a vent. Can't stand these pieces of shit.

At least they're super stylish. Oh wait.