Tesla

Started by SJ_GTI, February 23, 2017, 07:11:02 AM

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 02, 2019, 08:24:50 AM
Just because Tesla seems to he screwing it up, that doesn't mean a standard dealership network is the way to solve the problem.
Well incompetence is incompetence. But there are a lot of fundamental issues with this sales model that just don't make sense for Tesla or the customer.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

2o6

If this was a Chevrolet dealership, (or any other dealer, mind you) they would have been eviscerated in the press, and rightfully so.

Tesla Corp probably doesn't know where that car is. Wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't exist.

12,000 RPM

Would be curious to know their CPO buying process as well. I'm imagining a lot of lost titles

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 02, 2019, 10:13:23 AM
Would be curious to know their CPO buying process as well. I'm imagining a lot of lost titles

That's essentially what the guy did on the youtube video right? 
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MrH

The Dunning-Kruger effect on full display:

https://www.mendix.com/blog/tesla-cio-builds-erp-house-4-months-says-time-erp-upgrades/

Still waiting for Tesla to revolutionize auto manufacturing.  The alien dreadnought factory turned out to be hand assembling cars in a tent because he doesn't understand the basics of working to a takt time.

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on January 02, 2019, 10:45:51 AM
That's essentially what the guy did on the youtube video right?
No I mean Tesla buying cars to sell as CPO

r0tor

I think the real importance of a dealership is actually with the paint issues you see being reported (like on EE's video)... I know my Alfa dealer detailed the shit out of my car before I took delivery.  That's something you should really expect at this price point.  I'd imagine a lot of Model 3s would look much better at delivery if there was a dealer detailing the cars before delivery rather than being shipped basically direct.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

Also that Cpo video dude is a douche.  You don't add a vehicle to your insurance policy before you have it.  Period.  Actually, I'm not even sure it's possible to add a vehicle to your policy before it's actually registered to you (which first requires the title to be found).  I asked about this before taking delivery of my Giulia and my insurance agent not only advised against it but flat out refused.

Also, pick up the fucking phone and start talking to people before being a millennial crybaby trying to fight a battle over emails over something that likely costs many thousands of dollars.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

93JC

Quote from: r0tor on January 02, 2019, 11:47:14 AM
Also that Cpo video dude is a douche.  You don't add a vehicle to your insurance policy before you have it.  Period.  Actually, I'm not even sure it's possible to add a vehicle to your policy before it's actually registered to you (which first requires the title to be found).

In my province, and likely everywhere else in Canada, you can't register a car to your name without insuring it first.

That said, I wouldn't insure the thing until the very day I was taking delivery. Insuring it months before taking possession of the thing is ridiculously stupid.

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 02, 2019, 11:24:01 AM
No I mean Tesla buying cars to sell as CPO

Oh. I think most just go straight to auction. They're having an issue now though with Tesla residuals tanking badddd
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

MX793

Quote from: 93JC on January 02, 2019, 12:17:50 PM
In my province, and likely everywhere else in Canada, you can't register a car to your name without insuring it first.

That said, I wouldn't insure the thing until the very day I was taking delivery. Insuring it months before taking possession of the thing is ridiculously stupid.

Same in NY.  You need an active insurance policy on the vehicle, and cards/papers to get plates (no temp tags in NY, either).  I always have the policy activated the day of or day before pickup.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MX793 on January 02, 2019, 01:22:15 PM
Same in NY.  You need an active insurance policy on the vehicle, and cards/papers to get plates (no temp tags in NY, either).  I always have the policy activated the day of or day before pickup.

NJ is essentially the same. Before I bought my car I had the VIN already from the salesperson and got the insurance ready before I bought the car, but of course scheduled everything so that when I called the insurance company on the day i bought the Golf I canceled the insurance on the old car and activated the insurance on the new car. Since the dealer actually files the registration they actually require proof of insurance before they finalize the deal.

r0tor

You can not add car insurance to a car you do not yet own. Yes you need insurance to register which is usually done at time of sale - however proof of a current policy is actually all that is needed.

In my case I picked my Giulia up at like 8pm which is after my local insurance branch was closed. I told them about earlier that day to enquire if I could add it before they closed for the night.  The answer was a hard no since I was not yet the owner.  They simply put a note on my account and had a conversation with the dealer the next morning. The car was registered that night under my current insurance account.

The thought that internet superhero added a car he only put a deposit on to his insurance is laughable at best or more then likely incredibly dishonest and looking for attention.

giant_mtb

A bit, yeah, but the process still seems pretty convoluted and disorganized.

MrH

I just give my insurance a VIN and they add it.  I can do it online without even calling :huh:

I can easily add a car I don't own yet.  I think I have until 30 days after purchase to add it too.  I'm covered no matter what I buy until then.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

r0tor

Think about this... You add a car to your insurance that is sitting on the dealer lot or a person's house.  Someone takes the car out to fill it up with gas before you take delivery and gets in an accident - go you really want to be responsible for that?

MX793

Quote from: r0tor on January 02, 2019, 01:54:28 PM
Think about this... You add a car to your insurance that is sitting on the dealer lot or a person's house.  Someone takes the car out to fill it up with gas before you take delivery and gets in an accident - go you really want to be responsible for that?

Don't know what to tell you.  In many places, you need insurance before they'll  issue you plates.  Unless you plan to  have every vehicle you buy trucked to your doorstep, that means it's going to be insured in your name but under someone else's charge for some period of time.

If it's at the dealer, they'll put dealer plates on it to drive it anywhere off the lot.  Dealer plates have their own insurance.

If a private sale, the seller has to maintain insurance as long as they have plates for the car.  Can't legally drive without plates.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

BimmerM3

For the S2000, I did all the ownership paperwork at the dealership, then I went home to get the insurance sorted out, then I went back to the dealership so they could finish the registration and I could actually drive away. I think my policy also has a grace period for newly purchased vehicles, but I wasn't sure so I figured I wouldn't take the risk.

For the Explorer, I know I did all the paper work and drove away with the vehicle all in one trip, but I don't remember if I actually added to my policy before or after.

r0tor

Quote from: MX793 on January 02, 2019, 02:24:15 PM
Don't know what to tell you.  In many places, you need insurance before they'll  issue you plates.  Unless you plan to  have every vehicle you buy trucked to your doorstep, that means it's going to be insured in your name but under someone else's charge for some period of time.

If it's at the dealer, they'll put dealer plates on it to drive it anywhere off the lot.  Dealer plates have their own insurance.

If a private sale, the seller has to maintain insurance as long as they have plates for the car.  Can't legally drive without plates.

A current insurance policy will automatically cover a new purchase for a specific period as described in your agreement. That is all that is needed for registration to get a temp tag - that's why you give the dealer a copy of your current insurance card (even if it is for your trade in). 

If you buy a car on a weekend or after hours and tell the insurance beforehand, the insurance company will ask when you will take delivery - ie they are not adding it before that time and probably will not be until the next business day if the office is closed to confirm the transaction went through.

That is how things actually work. Do a search for adding insurance coverage to a car you do not own.  It's possible but highly unlikely as a main policy holder as they would be insuring a car in your name that you currently have no financial stake towards and therefore no collateral - all while possibly being driven by another unnamed driver. It doesn't work and puts the insurance company at a huge disadvantage.. Not to mention liability for yourself if you are a policy holder of a car in a wreck.

This sob story is 100% bullshit.

MX793

Quote from: r0tor on January 02, 2019, 02:46:31 PM
A current insurance policy will automatically cover a new purchase for a specific period as described in your agreement. That is all that is needed for registration to get a temp tag - that's why you give the dealer a copy of your current insurance card (even if it is for your trade in). 

If you buy a car on a weekend or after hours and tell the insurance beforehand, the insurance company will ask when you will take delivery - ie they are not adding it before that time and probably will not be until the next business day if the office is closed to confirm the transaction went through.

That is how things actually work. Do a search for adding insurance coverage to a car you do not own.  It's possible but highly unlikely as a main policy holder as they would be insuring a car in your name that you currently have no financial stake towards and therefore no collateral - all while possibly being driven by another unnamed driver. It doesn't work and puts the insurance company at a huge disadvantage.. Not to mention liability for yourself if you are a policy holder of a car in a wreck.

This sob story is 100% bullshit.

I can tell you right now, that's not how it works in NY and probably several other states.

No temp tags in NY.  NY policies do not automatically cover a new purchase and a copy of your current policy will not allow a dealership to get you plates.  You need cards for the specific vehicle (there's also an electronic verification between DMV and insurance company, but this generally occurs later since the DMV is slow).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2o6

Boy, this is a clusterfuck of a thread (as usual)

Rotor, you can't possibly say with certainty that every state and registration and insurance is exactly the same. The CHEVROLET dealer I bought my Sonic from wouldn't let me drive it off the lot until I had proof of insurance; that does not mean the policy my old car was on, but specific proof that my car (VIN and all) was insured. It only took me roughly 40 mins to do so and for the company to fax over proof, but I needed proof nonetheless. And this was BEFORE I signed any loan paperwork.

The example of the "what if a lot porter takes a car out before you sign for it and wrecks it?" That's also dumb; that car would be covered under the dealership's corporate insurance. You think this ain't happened before? (yours truly has done this before, the customer was OK. She just waited for the body shop to repair her new car, and I ended up getting a write up for damaging a car).

The problem is that Tesla does not have enough manpower, or most likely, wrote this whole process up with little understanding of how used cars are sold. I wouldn't be surprised if that Model X doesn't "exist". It sounds like Tesla may have sold a car that wasn't officially in their possession. At a dealership, that deal could quickly be undone. With Tesla, it's sent out to a big corporate entity that has to deal with several states and processes of dealer and customer transactions; no surprise they can't find the car, let alone recondition and even DETAIL the car.

This process seems too automated; the guy probably literally HAD to insure the car and provide other documentation otherwise the buying process would end up stalled; since there's no real person to talk to and override any steps.

Also, pick up the fucking phone and start talking to people before being a millennial crybaby trying to fight a battle over emails over something that likely costs many thousands of dollars.

Talk to whom?

93JC

Quote from: r0tor on January 02, 2019, 02:46:31 PM
A current insurance policy will automatically cover a new purchase for a specific period as described in your agreement.

Mine doesn't, it only covers vehicles specifically named in the policy. It will cover "non-owned" vehicles (rental cars) if I pay for supplemental coverage (which I do).

QuoteThat is all that is needed for registration to get a temp tag

No such thing as a "temp tag" here. Either you have valid registration and the corresponding licence plate with validation sticker, or you don't. I can temporarily use my old plate and registration, in conjunction with a bill of sale, for up to two weeks. Still have to have the car (specifically) insured.

QuoteIf you buy a car on a weekend or after hours and tell the insurance beforehand, the insurance company will ask when you will take delivery - ie they are not adding it before that time and probably will not be until the next business day if the office is closed to confirm the transaction went through.

I can't register a car without a physical copy of my liability insurance card, with the vehicle in question listed on it, or a faxed copy from my insurance company. I can add the new car to the policy beforehand (and have it 'post-dated' to take effect on the day of purchase), or on the day of purchase.

QuoteThat is how things actually work. Do a search for adding insurance coverage to a car you do not own. It's possible but highly unlikely as a main policy holder as they would be insuring a car in your name that you currently have no financial stake towards and therefore no collateral - all while possibly being driven by another unnamed driver.

A "financial stake" like a $2,500 non-refundable deposit? :lol:

QuoteNot to mention liability for yourself if you are a policy holder of a car in a wreck.

I agree that it's stupid for the guy to have insured the car so far in advance; I said as much.

2o6

Could he have *not* insured the car though? I get the gist from that form he filled out, that he would not have been able to move forward with purchasing the car if he hadn't sent the proof of insurance. And it doesn't seem like there's a physical person at that stage you can talk to to override that step.

2o6

OR

This car probably has a lien on it and despite being paid off it may take awhile for Tesla to get the title.

When I had that Honda Fit about a year and a half ago, it took me a solid 60 days to get the title, despite the loan being paid in full. Some smaller banks are just slow about releasing liens. Then add another layer of bureaucracy with the BMV/DMV, and then going thru Tesla's channels....

Tesla listed it too soon, and there's no real logistics person there to physically see and say "hey, this car is not ready", like they could at a dealership.

r0tor

Firstly, mostly all states require LIABILITY insurance.  That's coverage on the driver and not the car.  There is no reason any state would prohibit temporary liability coverage on a new car from an existing coverage... It's not about the damn car.

Secondly

https://www.progressive.com/answers/new-car-insurance/
https://www.allstate.com/tr/car-insurance/buying-a-car-on-the-weekend.aspx
https://www.autotrader.com/car-shopping/buying-car-how-do-you-add-insurance-if-you-buy-ove-225720
Https://www.thetruthaboutinsurance.com/new-car-insurance-grace-period/
... Or try any other insurance company...

BimmerM3

I haven't watched this dude's actual video yet, but fuck phone calls. I use email because it creates a paper trail of exactly what was said, not because of some nonsense about millennials.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on January 02, 2019, 03:45:44 PM
Could he have *not* insured the car though? I get the gist from that form he filled out, that he would not have been able to move forward with purchasing the car if he hadn't sent the proof of insurance. And it doesn't seem like there's a physical person at that stage you can talk to to override that step.

Looks like he used their financing, so the insurance would have been required by the lender, not the state.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

r0tor

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 02, 2019, 03:57:28 PM
I haven't watched this dude's actual video yet, but fuck phone calls. I use email because it creates a paper trail of exactly what was said, not because of some nonsense about millennials.

Yes, nothing says urgency like trading emails once every few days

2o6

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 02, 2019, 03:57:56 PM
Looks like he used their financing, so the insurance would have been required by the lender, not the state.

So, it looks like it's Tesla having a logistical and customer service problem. Their processes aren't in order.

Yet and still, it looks like he wouldn't be able to move forward with financing, etc and reserving the car until he provided all the information. That part needs to be refined.

r0tor