Tesla

Started by SJ_GTI, February 23, 2017, 07:11:02 AM

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Laconian

OMG Forbes ads are the worst, my poor poor 48 core Xeon workstation is crying from all these videos taking over the screen.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

93JC

Quote from: Laconian on February 22, 2019, 12:24:16 AM
https://electrek.co/2018/05/20/tesla-model-x-all-electric-suv-rollover-test/

Teslas are pretty amazing when you think about them. Amazing power and speed, amazing handling, amazing safety ratings.

But oh noes teh panel gaps

Well, first of all Electrek are paid to shill for Tesla. Seriously. See "Electrek.co writers getting cash from Tesla for referring new customers". So I'd trust them about as far as I could throw 'em w.r.t. any semblance of objectivity on the subject of Tesla cars.

Secondly, w.r.t. t3h pan3l g4ps:

Quote from: 93JC on November 11, 2018, 10:29:09 AM
I just can't stand the Tesla/Elon acolytes and their bullshit.

I have nothing against electric cars—I've done the math and it is very compelling—but the hyperbole from the fanbois would have you believe that any electric car that isn't a Tesla is a colossal turd for a myriad of reasons that boil down to "because it's not a Tesla". I don't like that kind of bullshit.

I like the idea of the Tesla sales model, selling directly to consumers for a fixed non-negotiable price with no hidden fees and other such bullshit endemic to sales at dealerships. I don't like that the sales model is predicated on putting down big deposits years in advance, and when it is finally being built the actual cost is grossly inflated from the promised cost.

I don't like the gewgaws like "Falcon doors", and I'll never get past the execrable touchscreen controls for eeeeeverything.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Laconian on February 22, 2019, 01:12:08 PM
OMG Forbes ads are the worst, my poor poor 48 core Xeon workstation is crying from all these videos taking over the screen.
There has to be a term for these kinds of pages. Ad grenades? They dim the lights like a bass drop 😂

But let's discuss his common core math

Morris Minor

Could not go for a drive due to wine consumption, but had a lengthy introduction to a friend's Model 3 yesterday.

He's a quiet guy, has no interest in cars; he's typically had Camrys that he keeps a long time before handing down to his kids. The other car in the garage is a 15-year old Lexus RX. Now he's a complete Tesla fan, tests updates & pre-release features etc.

My impressions - I'm sold. I loved the clean interior and the dash - unlike anything else out there. The only buttons I recall are the interior door releases.
Minus points are the exterior door handles - much written on those already, the letterbox-shaped boot opening (plenty of room under its floor though,) and a tiny misalignment of one of the glass roof panels; also noticed that panel's edge was fractionally uneven.

I like the playfulness.... and I fully understand why Tesla does not need much of a sales infrastructure. Their customers & the cars themselves do that for them.

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Laconian

GoCougs

Good thing we have the SEC. They're totally up on it. Yes, sir.

MrH

Finally. I still have no confidence they'll do much here.

The Tesla simulation continues to get crazier and crazier.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MrH

Btw, can we get some hot bull tales from r0tor please?
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on February 25, 2019, 06:39:40 PM
Good thing we have the SEC. They're totally up on it. Yes, sir.
Poke the bear, get grizzled. SEC isn't a Reddit screen name

SJ_GTI

Model 3 officially available for 35,000 now...

Curious to see what this does to their financials.

BimmerM3

Quote from: SJ_GTI on February 28, 2019, 04:05:14 PM
Model 3 officially available for 35,000 now...

Curious to see what this does to their financials.

Heh, my Tesla-owning friend just posted that on FB.

I like this quote from their official blog post (context - they're closing most of their stores and switching to online-only orders with a 7-day/1000 mile return period):

QuoteQuite literally, you could buy a Tesla, drive several hundred miles for a weekend road trip with friends and then return it for free.

https://www.tesla.com/blog/35000-tesla-model-3-available-now?fbclid=IwAR2b6_GG-fDsm7AlW4-9hnOhE2SJLTMlC1GxwfrZTpqZR64sOxmHLBCfqeI

2o6

The 35,000 sounds nice....wish you could get a metal roof tho.

The online only ordering is probably going to blow the fuck up in their faces.

2o6

I didn't realize they were phasing out the "Showroom" entirely, and going 100% online only.

This is a bad idea.

GoCougs

Quote from: 2o6 on February 28, 2019, 04:13:17 PM
The 35,000 sounds nice....wish you could get a metal roof tho.

The online only ordering is probably going to blow the fuck up in their faces.

I'm guessing not, for the same reason the CLA, A3, Cayman/Boxter, Colorado, etc., don't sell nearly as well as their bigger/more expensive stablemates.

12,000 RPM

I saw this and was like "ah, that's interesting.... maybe this can work"... then I saw they were going 100% online and I was brought back to reality

Tesla really doesn't understand how much risk and costs dealerships absorb. They gon learn doe

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 28, 2019, 07:50:32 PM
I saw this and was like "ah, that's interesting.... maybe this can work"... then I saw they were going 100% online and I was brought back to reality

Tesla really doesn't understand how much risk and costs dealerships absorb. They gon learn doe

I predict more Rich Rebuild situations.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

2o6

MrH

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

2o6

Quote from: MrH on February 28, 2019, 08:25:02 PM
Link to the FB group?

It's a private/secret group, sadly. Called "the car gays".

Laconian

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on February 28, 2019, 07:11:46 PM
I'm guessing not, for the same reason the CLA, A3, Cayman/Boxter, Colorado, etc., don't sell nearly as well as their bigger/more expensive stablemates.

And yet the 3 series outsells the 5 series, and Porsche's biggest seller is its least expensive model (Macan).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

YEa there's def a sweet spot for cheapness... besides it being financially impossible to go lower, brand wise I think the 3 works as the bottom of the Tesla range

MrH

Wow.  That's the 3rd price cut in 59 days.  Model S and X prices got DRAMATICALLY slashed in Europe.  P100Ds cut by like 60k-70k Euros it looks like (180k Euros to 100k).  There's talk that the short range Model 3s are actually software limited versions of the mid range.  This is essentially a liquidation sale.  They've got inventory and reworked cars stashed every where.  The demand cliff is very real and they're in a massive cash crunch.

In Europe, you aren't allowed to get refunded the difference from the price cut to people who recently bought.  Instead, you need to return the vehicle or cancel your order and rebuy.  There are tons of people trying to return cars and cancel orders now :wtf:  It's total chaos.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

MrH

Plain and simple:  Tesla is not good enough operationally to compete at this price point and still turn a profit.  From service, to sales, to manufacturing, to quality, they're trying to compete with the Toyota and Hondas of the world.  They should have stayed in the high end electric vehicle market.  Had they focused on S & X updates, released a roadster, and been much most cost conscious in doing so, they'd have been much better off.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

giant_mtb

100% online ordering?  Huh, their deliveries certainly have been going well... :hmm:

12,000 RPM

I don't know if it's a matter of not being good enough as much as making things way more difficult than they needed to be. The demand is there. The fanaticism is there. They just seem intent on stepping on their feet almost every step of the way in the name of "disruption".

For example I'm sure plenty of dealers would love to sell new Teslas. And I'd wager what little added margin they get from the direct sales model is wiped out several times over by the logistical nightmare. It doesn't have to be this way.

But we live in a time where admitting to being wrong is worse than death. So Tesla will die