CarSPIN Articles

Started by TurboDan, May 09, 2005, 06:48:41 PM

BMWDave

QuoteI could write over a page on just sitting in an STi for an article. ^_^ (I'm joking...joking...)
When you get your driver's license, have your parents take you to the local Subaru dealer and check out the STi.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raza

QuoteI'd love to help, but I'm tied up with Automobear as is.  Sorry.
I've checked out automobear a few times, you do good work!  :rockon:
Thanks man!

:rockon:  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

QuoteI could write over a page on just sitting in an STi for an article. ^_^ (I'm joking...joking...)
When you get your driver's license, have your parents take you to the local Subaru dealer and check out the STi.
I've thought about that a lot...and I plan on doing it.  Do you think they'll let me test drive it, though?  I remember when I was out in California...the people we stayed with...they have a 16-17 year old kid and they like to test drive cars for fun.  They wanted to test the STi, but the dealer said you have to buy it, then you can drive it.  I was like...umm...why would they do that?  :blink:   But maybe our local dealership is different...and we only have one, and it's been for sale for at least 6 months...lol

But yeah, I'm deffinitely going ot test drive it.  :D  

BMWDave

I've thought about that a lot...and I plan on doing it.  Do you think they'll let me test drive it, though?  I remember when I was out in California...the people we stayed with...they have a 16-17 year old kid and they like to test drive cars for fun.  They wanted to test the STi, but the dealer said you have to buy it, then you can drive it.  I was like...umm...why would they do that?  :blink:   But maybe our local dealership is different...and we only have one, and it's been for sale for at least 6 months...lol

I think you may have to be 21 to do it, although I'm not sure.

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

I think you may have to be 21 to do it, although I'm not sure.
When the STi first came to America, it was on a basis of dealer-drive only.  You could only ride as a passenger.  I recently talked to a guy who told me that they now want to talk more extensively about buying the car before letting anyone drive, so they can weed out the ones test driving for fun.  It's understandable, since you're putting miles on, wasting tires, and if you don't respect what the car can do, you can really fuck it up, like a fellow who flipped a 325i a year ago in my area.  When I drove the MR2 on the track, I did several laps before I really opened it up.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

giant_mtb

I think they make too big of a deal about the STi...it's only ( :P ) a 33 thousand dollar car...people test drive 50+ thousand dollar cars all the time.  It might be fast, but so is a Corvette and Mustang...they let people test drive them all the time.  Plus I'm sure there has been very few people in my area to actually ask to drive it...

But hey, if they won't let me test that I'll test the turbo Sedan or something...still lots of fun.  

Raza

QuoteI think they make too big of a deal about the STi...it's only ( :P ) a 33 thousand dollar car...people test drive 50+ thousand dollar cars all the time.  It might be fast, but so is a Corvette and Mustang...they let people test drive them all the time.  Plus I'm sure there has been very few people in my area to actually ask to drive it...

But hey, if they won't let me test that I'll test the turbo Sedan or something...still lots of fun.
The thing is that the Corvette and Mustang don't exactly attract the same crowds as the STi does (well, maybe the Mustang).  And another thing is that it isn't a fantastically expensive car.  It's only a few grand over the average new car price, so it's accessible to many people.  It's easy to get lost in a crowd than in an empty room, you follow?  If you are of modest financial status, it's a supercar that you can drive for little more than your Chrysler Sebring.  The Corvette, being 50K, doesn't attract as many 16-17 year old kids that have the financial means to afford one, and most people who are shopping Corvette want Corvette, and can afford Corvette.  I'm sure the SRT-4 is in the same category as the STi, and that's a cool 9 grand lower than the average new car price.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

giant_mtb

QuoteI think they make too big of a deal about the STi...it's only ( :P ) a 33 thousand dollar car...people test drive 50+ thousand dollar cars all the time.  It might be fast, but so is a Corvette and Mustang...they let people test drive them all the time.  Plus I'm sure there has been very few people in my area to actually ask to drive it...

The thing is that the Corvette and Mustang don't exactly attract the same crowds as the STi does (well, maybe the Mustang).  And another thing is that it isn't a fantastically expensive car.  It's only a few grand over the average new car price, so it's accessible to many people.  It's easy to get lost in a crowd than in an empty room, you follow?  If you are of modest financial status, it's a supercar that you can drive for little more than your Chrysler Sebring.  The Corvette, being 50K, doesn't attract as many 16-17 year old kids that have the financial means to afford one, and most people who are shopping Corvette want Corvette, and can afford Corvette.  I'm sure the SRT-4 is in the same category as the STi, and that's a cool 9 grand lower than the average new car price.
Good point(s).  ;)    

MrH

Just saw this thread.  Give me another week or so Dan, and I'll hopefully be sending you an article on theoretical engine designs.  Should be mostly covering the Quasi Turbine engine.  Not sure if you have heard of it or not, but picture a four sided rotary engine that changes shape.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

TBR

I think I might give a shot at an article on Infiniti's success, look for something next week.  

BMWDave

Just PM them to Dan when you are ready :)

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

I assume I should use a word processor? Should I insert the images or will Dan do that?

BMWDave

QuoteI assume I should use a word processor? Should I insert the images or will Dan do that?
Just use word to type it up, and then provide Dan with links to the pictures, and he will insert them in wherever they need to go :)

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

Got it, though I will use openoffice not word (I am anti-Microsoft remember, and if Dan is running linux that is what he uses anyway).  

BMWDave

QuoteGot it, though I will use openoffice not word (I am anti-Microsoft remember, and if Dan is running linux that is what he uses anyway).
I copy and paste the article and PM it to him...so it really doesnt matter what you type it on.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

ifcar

QuoteGot it, though I will use openoffice not word (I am anti-Microsoft remember, and if Dan is running linux that is what he uses anyway).
I copy and paste the article and PM it to him...so it really doesnt matter what you type it on.
I wouldn't recommend that, it sometimes screws up the formatting.

BMWDave

Well, I always just provide him with links for any pictures, or he puts the pictures in himself.  It has always worked so far :)

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

Well, I always just provide him with links for any pictures, or he puts the pictures in himself.  It has always worked so far :)
It's not the pictures, it's the paragraphs. I've never tried to send large blocks of text via PM on this site, but many emails as well as C/D's PM system can really mess up the way the paragraphs work, and it's a pain to fix.  

BMWDave

I make sure its good before I send it, and then I send it, and check to see if its good via sent messages.  The new paragraphs just appear on a different line.  

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

I make sure its good before I send it, and then I send it, and check to see if its good via sent messages.  The new paragraphs just appear on a different line.
Then we have a fortunate PM software setup.

On
some emails, it comes out like I'm writing here: a full line of text with one word before it,
which
is a real pain to deal with, especially with long articles. That's the formatting issue
that
I was referring to.

BMWDave

Then we have a fortunate PM software setup.

On
some emails, it comes out like I'm writing here: a full line of text with one word before it,
which
is a real pain to deal with, especially with long articles. That's the formatting issue
that
I was referring to.
No, it doesnt go like that  :lol:  

2007 Honda S2000

TurboDan

A PM always works, as does an attachment.  Yes, I do use OpenOffice.

All submissions are very much appreciated!

ifcar

Dan, did you happen to get my article-related PM?

giant_mtb

Maybe you could put my 3-gen Explorer comparo on the site?  I'll be posting it here, and I don't really know if it would make much sense to have a comparo of 3 ('93,'98,'05) Explorers on the main site...

Just a thought, though.

Atomic

QuoteWe have plenty of members here who love cars, and love to share their thoughts on cars!  As this site is an enthusiast community effort, we'd love for you to share your thoughts on the magazine portion of our site.  

Share your commentary, opinions, or perspectives on autos with thousands of visitors to CarSPIN every day!  If anyone is interesting in submitting an article, or writing a weekly or monthly column, please PM me (TurboDan) and we'll get you out there ASAP!
thanks, dan! your topics are always very interesting! i've been asked via pm messages to post here, but i need to think harder! i truly appreciate everyone's thoughts. it's cool to be collective, eh?! you bet  :lol: !  

Raza

I send word processor articles by email via the attachment feature.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

cawimmer430

I'm bored doing nothing. I want to write.  :rockon:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

ro51092

Quote from: TurboDan on May 09, 2005, 06:48:41 PM
We have plenty of members here who love cars

That's a real shocker.

heelntoe

@heelntoe