Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

shp4man

Just fill the master cylinder and open the bleeds. Keep it full. Close the bleeds. Done. Gravity.
You should replace all the brake parts- calipers both sides, rotors and pads. It's up to you.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on April 18, 2019, 05:19:36 PM
Just fill the master cylinder and open the bleeds. Keep it full. Close the bleeds. Done. Gravity.
You should replace all the brake parts- calipers both sides, rotors and pads. It's up to you.

Gravity works like 50% of the time. Speed bleeders are the best invention since sliced hot dogs.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 18, 2019, 05:22:15 PM
Gravity works like 50% of the time. Speed bleeders are the best invention since sliced hot dogs.

They didn't have speed bleeders, but they had a little bottle & hose kit so I can do it myself at least.

giant_mtb

Quote from: shp4man on April 18, 2019, 05:19:36 PM

I don't have the money to do it all at the moment...just paid off a bunch of shit I was getting behind on so I'm a little strapped right now.  So I'll do the one side for now so I at least have good brakes and I don't sound like a broke-ass muh'fucka driving down the street with metal brakes.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 18, 2019, 05:58:24 PM
They didn't have speed bleeders, but they had a little bottle & hose kit so I can do it myself at least.

I hate those stupid little bottles. :lol:

Advance/Carquest usually carries the Dorman bleeder...
m7x1.0 and m10x1.0

https://www.dormanproducts.com/c-164-brake-bleeder-screws-speed-bleeders.aspx

Laconian

C&D's website is unusable now. It's all automatically generated filler text made for car buyers, plumped up with deceptive faux-reviews written by interns.

The 2019 Honda Civic Is A Decent Car, We Guess
(Look at our ad-filled, 500 picture slideshow!)
(Photos)
(More press photos)

The 2019 Honda Civic is a car available in LX, EX, or Type R trims. It has four wheels. It could be a nice car, if the price was right.

COMPARE PRICES NAO!
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MX793 on April 18, 2019, 03:43:03 PM
Need to go back to classic, pre-coilover Sporty.  When he'd say things like "Why is the Mustang so big and yet it can't fit a giant carseat in the back?  Why can't Ford make a Mustang the size and weight of a Miata, but with a large enough back seat for a rear facing child seat and maybe rear doors?"
I have been coilover gang since 2007

And there is no reason the 2 series should have more interior and trunk space than a Mustang. These are valid questions for the universe
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 18, 2019, 06:24:05 PM
I have been coilover gang since 2007

And there is no reason the 2 series should have more interior and trunk space than a Mustang. These are valid questions for the universe

I'm saying back seat of a Versa, Mustang everywhere else. How hard is that?

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 18, 2019, 06:20:03 PM
I hate those stupid little bottles. :lol:

Advance/Carquest usually carries the Dorman bleeder...
m7x1.0 and m10x1.0

https://www.dormanproducts.com/c-164-brake-bleeder-screws-speed-bleeders.aspx

Yeahhhhh they didn't have any at O'Reilly's.  Too late now.  New caliper/pads/rotor are on, so I'm stuck bottle bleeding!

I'm actually impressed with how quickly I got it all apart/together...last time I did this it took me like a million hours and I had to call in help from a friend.  Air tools sure as fuck make things easier, and having my friend show me the whole process once already and it's wham bam thank you Jesus.

HurricaneSteve

C&D blows now.

Quote from: Laconian on April 18, 2019, 06:21:26 PM
C&D's website is unusable now. It's all automatically generated filler text made for car buyers, plumped up with deceptive faux-reviews written by interns.

(Photos)
(More press photos)

The 2019 Honda Civic is a car available in LX, EX, or Type R trims. It has four wheels. It could be a nice car, if the price was right.

COMPARE PRICES NAO!
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

giant_mtb

I did it!  Haven't driven it yet, but I gots no bubbles in da bleeder line.

Eye of the Tiger

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on April 18, 2019, 06:21:26 PM

(Photos)
(More press photos)

COMPARE PRICES NAO!
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

You sure? I think C&D's reviews are pretty objective. I haven't experienced what you have. It's not hard to wade through the SEO BS.

Motor trend is far worse.

EDIT: I *really* don't understand or see what you're talking about. There's one section dedicated to ads and car buying but the rest of the site is dedicated to reviews and comments.

cawimmer430

Summer wheels are on.  :wub:

Crap picture... sorry...

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

shp4man

Quote from: cawimmer430 on April 19, 2019, 04:05:02 AM

Crap picture... sorry...

Nice looking car.  :ohyeah:

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on April 19, 2019, 02:15:19 AM

You sure? I think C&D's reviews are pretty objective. I haven't experienced what you have. It's not hard to wade through the SEO BS.

Motor trend is far worse.

EDIT: I *really* don't understand or see what you're talking about. There's one section dedicated to ads and car buying but the rest of the site is dedicated to reviews and comments.

Their website layout has become more like Cars.com than an online magazine.  Particularly if you use their search function.  Instead of giving you a list of related articles, you get taken to a "buyer's guide" that seems more geared towards shoppers.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FoMoJo

Quote from: cawimmer430 on April 19, 2019, 04:05:02 AM

Crap picture... sorry...

Okay, the wheels look pretty good. ;)
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 18, 2019, 07:10:35 PM
Yeahhhhh they didn't have any at O'Reilly's.  Too late now.  New caliper/pads/rotor are on, so I'm stuck bottle bleeding!

I'm actually impressed with how quickly I got it all apart/together...last time I did this it took me like a million hours and I had to call in help from a friend.  Air tools sure as fuck make things easier, and having my friend show me the whole process once already and it's wham bam thank you Jesus.

Grease the slide pins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 19, 2019, 07:38:37 AM
Grease the slide pins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didddddddd, garsh.  I'm gonna make a habit of doing that every time I rotate the tires 'cause it only takes 12 seconds. With how much off road/wet/dirty driving I do, probably a good habit.

CaminoRacer

I didn't grease one of the Mazda pins because it's tucked inside the caliper and I didn't bother figuring out how to access it. It quickly ate one of the pads same as what just happened on your truck. Luckily Autozone pads have a lifetime warranty (lolz) so replacing it was free, only had to pay 60 cents for some grease.

r0tor

This reminds me that I haven't touched the brakes in the RX8 is probably 10 years... Ugh
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 19, 2019, 09:21:22 AM
I didn't grease one of the Mazda pins because it's tucked inside the caliper and I didn't bother figuring out how to access it. It quickly ate one of the pads same as what just happened on your truck. Luckily Autozone pads have a lifetime warranty (lolz) so replacing it was free, only had to pay 60 cents for some grease.

Interesting. Yeah I'll keep up on greasing them. :lol:  Gonna check the other side today and greazzze em.

Also, when I took the old shit off last night...the fuckin spring spreader clips that keep the pad off the rotor when you're not braking were missing. :hmm:

I have a small stash of 'em, so if one goes missing, I have more.

2o6

Quote from: MX793 on April 19, 2019, 05:34:03 AM
Their website layout has become more like Cars.com than an online magazine.  Particularly if you use their search function.  Instead of giving you a list of related articles, you get taken to a "buyer's guide" that seems more geared towards shoppers.

I don't see it.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MX793 on April 19, 2019, 05:34:03 AM

Yup. Stupid.

Laconian

They still have good reviews, but when click on Reviews, you get an undifferentiated stream of reviews for random cars. Want to only see reviews on a specific car, like a Mazda3? That's not an option, but as a consolation prize, you can ready plenty of reviews for cars you don't give a shit about.

If you want to look at info on a specific car, then you're wading into a layer of SEO hell, where it's impossible to differentiate critical content from "hot takes" and advertorial puff pieces.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

HurricaneSteve

Where is ifcar when you need him?

Quote from: Laconian on April 19, 2019, 12:07:43 PM
They still have good reviews, but when click on Reviews, you get an undifferentiated stream of reviews for random cars. Want to only see reviews on a specific car, like a Mazda3? That's not an option, but as a consolation prize, you can ready plenty of reviews for cars you don't give a shit about.

If you want to look at info on a specific car, then you're wading into a layer of SEO hell, where it's impossible to differentiate critical content from "hot takes" and advertorial puff pieces.

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on April 19, 2019, 10:35:53 AM

I don't see it.

I popped in today and it looks like they changed.  I stopped visiting over a year ago because it was so bad.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Galaxy

A flaming pladoyer for the 90s Buick Park Avenue Ultra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqStukS2-qQ

cawimmer430

:ohyeah:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaArAr5F1_8
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie