The Grand Tour Thread

Started by Payman, October 08, 2016, 08:43:41 AM

Tave

I liked it a lot. The tent scenes were much better-paced and Jeremy's piece on the Vulcan was right in his wheelhouse.

Loved the feature--sort of Edge of Tomorrow meets Groundhog's Day meets Westworld.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Payman

Top Gear meets Benny Hill meets Duck Dynasty.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

BimmerM3

Quote from: Morris Minor on November 25, 2016, 08:05:06 PM
Saw Episode 2.  Still not working for me. They went to South Africa. Set up the tent. Did a few jokes about South Africa between running vids of escapades elsewhere. So there was really nothing South African in it. They could just as well have set up the tent in  some generic office parking lot in some generic city somewhere, anywhere.

I'll be generous and downgrade my vote only to C-

I think it's more about connecting with the world wide audience than customizing each show to the specific location.

Episode 2 was crap though. I actually liked the first episode. Not as good as TG in its prime, but still worthwhile. But the entire rescue operation segment in EP2 was stupid.

giant_mtb

Fell asleep halfway through.  They need to get rid of this stig guy.  It's no fun watching an amazing car go round a track when some dude is making horrible jokes from the driver's seat saying that it's crap. 

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 28, 2016, 12:09:20 PM
Fell asleep halfway through.  They need to get rid of this stig guy.  It's no fun watching an amazing car go round a track when some dude is making horrible jokes from the driver's seat saying that it's crap. 

Yeah that guy's annoying too. He needs to either give actual feedback or STFU like Stig does.

giant_mtb

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 28, 2016, 09:56:50 PM
Yeah that guy's annoying too. He needs to either give actual feedback or STFU like Stig does.

He's like the annoying patriotic douche that you don't wanna take in public because he's gonna make horrible comments and embarrass you in front of the waiter.  Except this guy is embarrassing us to the whole world. lulz.

Eye of the Tiger

I agree, fat redneck stig is a not good. It would be fine if he kept his stupid mouth shut.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 28, 2016, 10:04:50 PM
I agree, fat redneck stig is a not good. It would be fine if he kept his stupid mouth shut.

Sad that they brought in an actual racing driver but relegated him to making horrible Murrica jokes instead of letting him talk about the car realistically.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 28, 2016, 10:08:38 PM
Sad that they brought in an actual racing driver but relegated him to making horrible Murrica jokes instead of letting him talk about the car realistically.

Yeah, I'm sure he'd be able to talk about the cars the same way Pobst does for Motortrend.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

68_427

I'm hoping they'll eventually do that.  A couple jokes here and there but tell us how they drive.  I'd love to see him driver his truck that he brings to Goodwood every year as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UgObvliqFU
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 28, 2016, 10:08:38 PM

He WAS the Stig for a while.
Will

r0tor

New show is fantastic... and no fuggin skinner
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Morris Minor

Saw Episode 3. An improvement.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

MrH

This second episode is a train wreck. I'm about done with this.

BBC one with Harris is much better.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

r0tor

Quote from: MrH on December 02, 2016, 05:54:19 PM
This second episode is a train wreck. I'm about done with this.

BBC one with Harris is much better.

they rebound nicely in the 3rd
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

giant_mtb

3rd was much better. They actually went out and did things and talked about cars!

Payman

Just watched ep3, and yes it was much better. I wish they'd stop that celebrity shtick and make a proper feature like star in a reasonably priced car or at least an interview.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Rockraven on December 03, 2016, 09:15:42 PM
Just watched ep3, and yes it was much better. I wish they'd stop that celebrity shtick and make a proper feature like star in a reasonably priced car or at least an interview.

Or just skip it all together. But that's only a couple of minutes out of an hour long program - I can look past it.

Raza

Second episode had a chance to be good, but instead of being cool, they went goofy.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

I have a feeling you guys will like the newest episode. May's bit made my sides hurt.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Tave on December 09, 2016, 02:04:58 PM
I have a feeling you guys will like the newest episode. May's bit made my sides hurt.

Ooooh, I forgot about that last night as I was lounging around. I'll try to check it out tonight.

Eye of the Tiger

Oh my, I have two epidoses to catch up on. I expect improvments.

Morris Minor

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 09, 2016, 04:36:10 PM
Oh my, I have two epidoses to catch up on. I expect improvments.

I got bored and skipped through both of them. It's not quite working. I think they need to go back to having a permanent home.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Eye of the Tiger

Well, I happened to like the bone and meat car.

Tave

The last 3 episodes have now all been really solid. Newest one is cheap(ish) sports cars in Morocco--Hammond with the ND Miata, May with a Zenos, and Jeremy playing the odd man out with a Alfa 4C.

Tave

Just checked the production credits on Wikipedia. For the Dec 30th show (episode after next), it says in the section reserved for locations:

No tent -
Namibia
"Special"

CaminoRacer

There's maybe 20 minutes of good stuff mixed with 42 other minutes of nonsense. Meh.

r0tor

I've been enjoying the last few episodes... People really needed to lighten the hell up

CaminoRacer

I just want more cars and less studio gimmicks. I mean, they're still doing the celebrity shit 6 episodes in. I got tired of that after episode 2...